My list for the coming months

replace some of my cratch poppers/clips

paint engine hole

T/cut exterior paint and re polish

fit battery monitor

sand down cruiser seats and re-varnish

lay new flooring through-out boat

Maybe look out for second mateclapping.gif

does the first mate have an opinion on this?

As that seems to vague. I will ask a specific question, what maintenance do u do on a mushroom vent? do you take it off clean it up and then reseal it. Is this an annual event?

Take them off polish them, make sure all polish is removed and apply Incralac.

Mine need doing this year but I haven't touched them for eight years and they are still reasonable unless you look closely.

Ken

It's a good question... I don't really know myself, being only in the process of completing the sale of my first boat. I can tell you what I intend to do at the moment, and people can ridicule me or not, depending...

I am buying a 43' trad stern. I will be living aboard with my partner. As she has been sitting on brokerage for quite a few months, we have some cleaning up to do:

Clean out water system, flush through with thin bleach, leave to sit, rinse, refill.

Open up bilges wherever possible and check for damp, rust etc. Remedy where necessary.

Clean engine hole.

Remove damp carpet and clean existing floors.

Paint interior woodwork

Replace wooden roof hatches with glazed pigeon boxes

Repair front door (plane down sticky bit)

Replace delaminating plywood rear hatch

Add secondary glazed windows to side hatch

Remove ceiling cladding, re-line ceiling and paint

Remove cross bed, install length ways bed with storage under.

Rebuild bulkhead wall between bedroom and engine bay (trad stern) with doorway and steps (with storage in)

Install fitted sofa/dinette/bed with inbuilt storage

Change tiles behind stove

Move kitchen units down one unit, and install outdoor coat/footwear storage area (size of one kitchen unit, full height, shoe shelves under, hat/glove shelf over, hanging space between)

Install inverter. (240v electrics already installed)

Change all light bulbs to LED

Clean out gas locker.

Sign paint name on rear sides of boat "Foxie"

Design and paint fox logo on read panel of boat

Repaint worn exterior paint at bow

Install cratch and well deck seating / storage

Install cruising seats/rails at stern

Service engine - tidy up lack of maintenance highlighted in survey.

Woa! That's quite a list... I realise that the OP asked for regular maintenance, rather than everything I'm going to do... But hey.

take it you mean to remove base of mushroom vent ? why disturb seal if its not leaking Brasso in situ to your hearts content if you are that way inclined .

external maintainance check ropes, check fender fastenings ,touch up paintwork, clean window drain holes,clean any weed growth along waterline.

Tom Richmond, on 03 Feb 2014 - 4:58 PM, said:

.......... I will be living aboard with my partner. As she has been sitting on brokerage for quite a few months, we have some cleaning up to do.............

Was it one of these 'Russian Wives' brokerage firms ?

Sorry, couldnt resist, I tried and failed.

• Greenie 1

Other things worth doing include:

Oil all the door, hatch and locker hinges every 3-6 months

Clean out the drain holes and channels round any windows in the spring and autumn

Look at and lubricate the rudder stock top bearing

Look at battery water levels every so often monthly and top-up

Check the stern tube gland - adjust or re-pack if needed

Check the weed hatch seal is OK.

Run any bilge pumps in a bucket of water to ensure they work and pump properly at least once a year

Clean any water tank outlet /pump inlet strainer

Check that you can still get bottles or cans into and out of the beer/wine/spirits stores. Rake out the back corners to ensure that nothing is hiding there and going past it sup-by date.cheers.gif

N

It would seem that's what the insurance company might mean

take it you mean to remove base of mushroom vent ? why disturb seal if its not leaking Brasso in situ to your hearts content if you are that way inclined .
external maintainance check ropes, check fender fastenings ,touch up paintwork, clean window drain holes,clean any weed growth along waterline.

I am in discussions with my insurance company as my mushroom leaked. It seems I should have done maintenance on it. However I am still trying to establish what that actually means.

I guess thatyour insurance company "may mean" (I'm speculating here!) that if you had noticed that the mushroom base was leaking then you should have addressed the problem, or they "may mean" that if you regularly inspected your boat it should have been noticed.

However, I'm not aware of any boat owner whom regularly checks/re-seals their mushroom bases as part of a weekly/monthly maintenance schedule

As that seems to vague. I will ask a specific question, what maintenance do u do on a mushroom vent? do you take it off clean it up and then reseal it. Is this an annual event?

Personally I would take them off and fit flying saucer vents but then I like to cruise and do not like shiny brass smile.png

Personally I would take them off and fit flying saucer vents but then I like to cruise and do not like shiny brass smile.png

Which is exactly what I did with our vetus vents (flying saucer) and now one barsteward leaks (or did till I coiled a rope round it).