Is the boatbuilding recession coming to an end?

nicknorman

Featured Posts

I've just been past a certain boatbuilders at Glascote. There are 8 new boats in the "undercoat club" (ie in various stages of fit out), one fully painted in the "final touches" area, something I couldn't see in the paint shed (maybe another new boat but possibly a repaint) and probably something in the steel shed. It's the most I've ever seen there.

There have been more than a few comments on the forum from buyers who are turning to shell builders because they feel the price of used boats represents poor value.

Having been searching the market for almost a year now I continue to despair at some of the examples you see in the £25-30,000 price range, and for that sort of money you are withing striking distance of a decent quality sailaway, maybe even lined out.

If builders order lists are growing, maybe this is one reason for it.

I've just been past a certain boatbuilders at Glascote. There are 8 new boats in the "undercoat club" (ie in various stages of fit out), one fully painted in the "final touches" area, something I couldn't see in the paint shed (maybe another new boat but possibly a repaint) and probably something in the steel shed. It's the most I've ever seen there.

Stevey was looking EXTREMELY pleased with himself at Crick last year, and the housing market was still in the tail end of the doldrums.

Now it is ALIGHT I bet he won't even need to exhibit at Crick this year.

I've even managed to shift one of my minor mistakes from 2001 at a half-sensible price, at last. Things really ARE looking up!

MtB

We hired a Huddy from Middlewich N/B. 66 foot tug. I think the rudder must have been bent cos it steered where it wanted to go.

That's surprising to hear. Our rudder is very powerful, the boat goes dead straight on its own, but turns sharply and is even moderately responsive in neutral. The only criticism could be that tiller forces are higher than most, but it doesn't worry me.

Edit: maybe someone added some rudder in front of the pivot to address the high tiller forces?

Edited by nicknorman

That's surprising to hear. Our rudder is very powerful, the boat goes dead straight on its own, but turns sharply and is even moderately responsive in neutral. The only criticism could be that tiller forces are higher than most, but it doesn't worry me.

For the "shared" boats they changed the rudder. Steve didn't do it. it was an after market job.

For the "shared" boats they changed the rudder. Steve didn't do it. it was an after market job.

Ah, you beat me to it, that was my supposition after a couple of minutes thinking time. I wonder why, the rudder / general way it drives is one of the best bits of it!

It is a boy boat and thus needs a firm hand!

Edited by nicknorman

Stevey was looking EXTREMELY pleased with himself at Crick last year, and the housing market was still in the tail end of the doldrums.

Now it is ALIGHT I bet he won't even need to exhibit at Crick this year.

I've even managed to shift one of my minor mistakes from 2001 at a half-sensible price, at last. Things really ARE looking up!

MtB

so you gonna get another boat then?

Was that what they did with the specific tug at Middlewich?

I just assumed there was a problem with the rudder being bent.

There have been more than a few comments on the forum from buyers who are turning to shell builders because they feel the price of used boats represents poor value.

Having been searching the market for almost a year now I continue to despair at some of the examples you see in the £25-30,000 price range, and for that sort of money you are withing striking distance of a decent quality sailaway, maybe even lined out.

If builders order lists are growing, maybe this is one reason for it.

I agree, i've seen plenty of 25-30 year old ex hire boats that have been 'done up' for sale at more than £1000 a foot, they're having a laugh!

On a limited system of muddy ditches like the canals there must come a point of saturation, the market must collapse at some point, 40,000 boats, 50,000 boats..........

But don't forget, 90% of them are in a marina at any one time. Except for sunny bank holidays of course!

The narrow boat industry is still on its knees.

Hudson may have eight in "the undercoat club", a similar set up below Atherstone had the same just before it ceased. Not that I am suggesting this is the case at all.

It is not rocket science to do a little research and make the obvious conclusions.

From Hudsons website he now finds himself condescending to build Semi trads, shock horror!!

Moreover he is offering fully fitted at sub £75k. And still a Hudson wtf !

This is not a business enjoying post recession order books, this business has its head above water (as far as I know) and trying its hardest to stay there.

I sincerely hope it makes it as there are not many left.

cheers.gif

A

• Greenie 1