What beaches/coastal towns are handy for the canals?

magictime

Featured Posts

Yes you did Martyn - actually Portsmouth is an interesting city to visit for all those things you list but still no beach. Southsea is really nice and a great place to visit. Am I now sounding like MF? And that's from a Saints supporter wink.png

As for Cleethorpes a wonderful beach all along to Humberstone.

Southamptons beaches are attractive as well.

As for Football. Well I don't support Pompey, who does? But Soton seem to be holding their heads up.

I;lived and worked in Southampton for 30 years and looked for the beach but couldn't find it. Do you mean "greater Southampton" and does that include the Isle of Wight?

Saints have a bit of a self destruct instinct but can also "snatch victory from the jaws of self destruction" which I suppose makes them interesting.

.................Dave

I;lived and worked in Southampton for 30 years and looked for the beach but couldn't find it. Do you mean "greater Southampton" and does that include the Isle of Wight?

Saints have a bit of a self destruct instinct but can also "snatch victory from the jaws of self destruction" which I suppose makes them interesting.

.................Dave

My comment about Southampton beaches was a hit back at Portsmouth not being a seaside location. In jest of course.

I wouldn't bother with Southport, my Mum and my Sister lived there for some 25 years and I never saw the sea once. Good sand dunes though.

No, carry on further round the L/L and you are very close to Crosby Sands and the famous Antony Gormley statues. Well worth a visit.

http://www.visitsouthport.com/things-to-do/crosby-beach-p244561

PS good topic, by the way.

Edited by Neil2

An hour? In what way can that be considered CLOSE?

An hour can be considered close in the context of the OP saying "within about an HOUR".

Can you? I thought it was about an hour from Victoria, so add half an hour to get across London.

10 mins on the tube from Paddington to Victoria, 49 mins on the fast train from Victoria to Brighton.

My comment about Southampton beaches was a hit back at Portsmouth not being a seaside location. In jest of course.

However...there is a very small beach just under the jetty where the red jet docks, but only at low tide.

Many years ago the council leader proposed building a beach just inland from here and heating the water with the geothermal source. Everybody said he was was mad but it might have been the best thing to ever happen in Southampton, the "city of missed opportunities".

..........Dave

NC Please tell us you went all the way to Cleethorpes, moored up on the Pier and had breakfast in the greasy spoon near old Wonderland. But very impressed going out in the Humber.

Oh and a seaside town shouldn't really class itself as such if it doesn't have a Punch and Judy show. So keep the Meggies in.

An hour can be considered close in the context of the OP saying "within about an HOUR".

10 mins on the tube from Paddington to Victoria, 49 mins on the fast train from Victoria to Brighton.

Paddington to Victoria either involves an indirect route via the Circle/District Line or a change at Oxford Circus from Bakerloo Line to Victoria Line. So you are not going to do that in 10 minutes - even if you know the route (and our OP may not).

You then have to add the time to walk from Paddington Basin to Paddington Tube Station plus the time to walk from Victoria Tube to the main line platform, plus the wait time until the next (fast) Brighton train, plus (probably) the time to buy tickets plus the walk from Brighton Station to the beach...

More like an hour and a half minimum (and possibly much more) I would have thought!

NC Please tell us you went all the way to Cleethorpes, moored up on the Pier and had breakfast in the greasy spoon near old Wonderland. But very impressed going out in the Humber.

Oh and a seaside town shouldn't really class itself as such if it doesn't have a Punch and Judy show. So keep the Meggies in.

He went in the opposite direction rolleyes.gif

Paddington to Victoria either involves an indirect route via the Circle/District Line or a change at Oxford Circus from Bakerloo Line to Victoria Line. So you are not going to do that in 10 minutes - even if you know the route (and our OP may not).

You then have to add the time to walk from Paddington Basin to Paddington Tube Station plus the time to walk from Victoria Tube to the main line platform, plus the wait time until the next (fast) Brighton train, plus (probably) the time to buy tickets plus the walk from Brighton Station to the beach...

More like an hour and a half minimum (and possibly much more) I would have thought!

l lived in Brighton before moving onto my boat. I volunteer at The Pirate Castle at Camden Locks. I could do door-to-door in an hour and a half. Take away the walking to and from the station and you'd probably be left with the "hour or so" the OP stated.

Llangollen of course has a direct bus service to the seaside at Barmouth, the X94 Wrexham to Barmouth service.

Not a journey for the faint hearted (or weak of bladder) at just under 2 hours; it does however stop at Bala where you could go for a paddle in the lake (and a piddle at the conveniences).

Of interest to some as it is one of the few remaining "rail replacement bus services" introduced in the mid 1960s when the railway was closed.