Dispute at Pillings

andy the hammer

Featured Posts

you are about five years too late re your business plan, I always advocated the building use as you suggest, i.e. a private club for boaters only, but wasted my breath The main objection from at least some of the boaters who left was the fact that the whole site is accessible to the general public, a major design flaw.

A huge thank you to all who made the event such a massive success and if you are a marina that didn't take part this year shame on you! Get yourself organised for 2015, this is where our future business is coming from

AHH - warning CRT staff and financial controller readers , he is encouringing everyone else to take the piss next year.

It was also interesting that a few people selling boats in the local area saw how busy we were and have subsequently brought their boats here for us to broker the vessels

So ABNB have resumed their sales from Pillings Lock.

Over the three days we carried over 1, 000 boat trippers on our free boat rides, out along the canal outside the Marina & a few hundred yards into the Soar. This was a feat that would not have been possible without our fleet of four day-boats and our team of volunteer berth holders who skippered the majority of the boat trips

So 4 trip boats/3 days - 71 passengers...

It is good to see that NBW allowing such accurate and focussed journalism onto our canal network by such reputable journalists.

Victor - I do hope you know that Paul Lillie has failed to pay £180K to the guardians of our networks which are faling apart - and is actively now campaigning that is still too much.

edited to add, sorry RoyRollings, I forgot you, please feel free to add your informed opinion, I know you have exams coming up, but don't forget your directors responsibilities.

Edited by matty40s

.Over the three days we carried over 1, 000 boat trippers on our free boat rides, out along the canal outside the Marina & a few hundred yards into the Soar. This was a feat that would not have been possible without our fleet of four day-boats and our team of volunteer berth holders who skippered the majority of the boat trips

I did wonder if the volunteer 'skippers' had the necessary 'ticket' for passenger carrying and the compulsory 3rd party insurance

Good job there was no incident !

• Greenie 3

I did wonder if the volunteer 'skippers' had the necessary 'ticket' for passenger carrying and the compulsory 3rd party insurance

Good job there was no incident !

You beat me to it.

What a load of b******s. He saw a money making opportunity and didn't do his sums or due diligence.

It may also be that he never intended to pay it, but that is pure speculation.

Bob

ETA Well said Furnessvale

No doubt you didn't see the disclaimer I put under my post No. 5795.

Usual disclaimer: I am not a fan of Mr P Lillie. I am simply trying to understand whether his claims have any validity.

in the same way that the cost of renting a lock up garage is borne entirely by the users of said garages and not those who choose to park at the kerbside.

CCers don't pay for on-line moorings either so are they in any way pertinent to any discussion about marina NAAs?

Oh dear. The berth-holder is already paying for the berth and any other facilities provided by the marina. The NAA charge provides the berth-holder with nothing extra, because, like the CCer, he is already paying CART to use the canal.

Your analogy doesn't make sense.

Usual disclaimer: I am not a fan of Mr P Lillie. I am simply trying to understand whether his claims have any validity.

Edited by George94

The CCer is already on the water and therefore does not need 'access' to aforesaid water.

The moorer in a marina needs access to the waterway and is charged for that access via his marina fees, a proportion of which (shpuld) go to C&RT for the NAA. The marina are in effect 'tax-collectors' in this instance

Oh dear. The berth-holder is already paying for the berth and any other facilities provided by the marina. The NAA charge provides the berth-holder with nothing extra, because, like the CCer, he is already paying CART to use the canal.

Your analogy doesn't make sense.

Wrong. You may not like it, but the NAA is allowing the berth holder access from the marina (private waters) onto the canal (CRT property). Call it a ransom strip if you want, such things are quite common in the outside world.

If you don't want to pay NAA, take up CCing or better still, get an End of Garden mooring and pay 50% instead.

George ex nb Alton retired

• Greenie 1

Looking for something [which I have not yet found] in the Select Committee Minutes on the 1990 Bill, I came across this cross-examination on marinas which echoes some of the present issues raised here. It might be of interest to some, to see much the same debate in the historical context of a quarter century ago –

Marinablock1_zpsc89577cd.jpg
Marinablock2_zps1cd8ee65.jpg
Marinablock3_zps194e09f1.jpg

How cheaply can a berth be had there now? I'm almost tempted just for the entertainment, and for the inside track on developments in future....

MtB

Just remember to pay 1month at a time and by credit card boat.gif

STOP the PRESS

Latest recruit to The Dark side:

http://www.narrowboatworld.com/index.php/leatest/6898-good-weekend-at-pillings

NBW, cheer leaders to them wot don't pay their dues.

This is great news.....

PLM financial situation has turned around and had a bright future. Being a person of integrity, PL will obviously want to slowly start reimbursing CRT those unpaid thousands resulting from the previous poor business model!

Meanwhile, back in the real world.......

The CCer is already on the water and therefore does not need 'access' to aforesaid water.

The moorer in a marina needs access to the waterway and is charged for that access via his marina fees, a proportion of which (shpuld) go to C&RT for the NAA. The marina are in effect 'tax-collectors' in this instance

We have had this discussion before, and there is no point in repeating it.

ETA: It seems that the Select Committee, as evidenced by Nigel M's contribution, were also concerned about BW's monopolistic position.

Edited by George94

I see that you have omitted your standard disclaimer. Perhaps it sounds a bit hollow when you refuse to accept perfectly reasonable arguments in favour of a NAA.

George ex nb Alton retired

Then why waste every ones time by asking the same questions again and again - do you expect a different answer ?

Alledgedy said by Benjamin Franklin :

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting it to come out different"

Then why waste every ones time by asking the same questions again and again - do you expect a different answer ?

Alledgedy said by Benjamin Franklin :

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting it to come out different"

Because he is enjoying yanking your chain. I'm surprised you don't see this by now!

MtB

"Over the three days we carried over 1,000 boat trippers on our free boat rides, out along the canal outside the Marina & a few hundred yards into the Soar. This was a feat that would not have been possible without our fleet of four day-boats and our team of volunteer berth holders who skippered the majority of the boat trips..."

Fill in your own caption!!!