Recommended historic boatyards/docks/restorers

AMModels

Featured Posts

Dadfords Wharf, Bridge Street, Wordsley, Stourbridge

Dave Harris 07950 097788

Ian Kemp 01384 485565

The full schmeer from hot rivetting to cabin decoration. (eg President, Swan)

Plus new build replicas.

John Sanderson 01384 485564

Traditional painting services - took over from Phil Speight.

Photos of the yard:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60858790@N03/5553225177/in/photostream/

http://walkerstug.blogspot.co.uk/search?updated-max=2011-05-04T01:35:00-07:00&max-results=7

Edited by andywatson

What a magic place that Dadfords Wharf is, really more like a working museum yard full of passionate boatbuilding artist.

I have very fond memories of my visit to this place when I was allowed to visit, and to see with my own eyes the beautiful job Dave Harris was doing on Andy Watson's boat, and saw the work in progress on a boatmans cabin thet Ian Kemp was busy creating.

If I would be the owner of an historic boat, this would be the place I would go to, if they would have some time left to work on mine.

Peter.

Just a few i thought of:

Brinklow Boat Services

Warwickshire Fly, Stockton

Paul Barber, Sheet Stores Basin, Long Eaton

Malcom Webster at Malkins Bank

Langley Mill Boatyard (also DIY Drydock)

Roger Fuller, Stone

Canal Transport Services, Norton Canes

Graham Edgson, Norton Canes

Regards

Dan

What a helpful list!

It is good to know there are still so many people who have the skills to work on historic craft. I expect most people will tend to choose a yard that is geographically suited to them despite. We have Python at Paul Barbers place at present and seeing the stuff he is working on there gives me hope for the future of old boats.

I would also endorse Stagedamager's comments about Ade. Having seen some of the work he has done and talked to him he is most knowledgable.

I do know that Norbury Wharf are currently painting "Thea" and I am fairly certain that Sue, the owner is unlikely to have taken her boat to somewhere that does not do a decent job but I have little other information I can share about them as a boat yard because although we have used them for bits and pieces it has been on our modern boat.

Just a few i thought of:

Brinklow Boat Services

Warwickshire Fly, Stockton

Paul Barber, Sheet Stores Basin, Long Eaton

Malcom Webster at Malkins Bank

Langley Mill Boatyard (also DIY Drydock)

Roger Fuller, Stone

Canal Transport Services, Norton Canes

Graham Edgson, Norton Canes

Regards

Dan

Thank you very much for this list Dan, that will give me a good idea for places to visit next time in the UK.

Peter.

Sileby Mill - not for narrowboats but for other old boats such as wooden cruisers. Alex Ramsey has a 'little ship' Nyula which he has done some wonderful work on in the last year as well as work on a life boat which is from a second world war cruiser - name escapes me at present.

There is a yard just west of Atherstone on the B5000 (Grendon?) which always has a few ex-working boats being worked on. Not sure if this has been mentioned above.

Grendon Dock, as you may know is all part of the Malcolm Burge empire, and Narrowcraft, so directly associated with Alvecote Marina.

Certainly does a lot of work on working boats of course, although not surprisingly many of them are South Midland ones.

But as you say other work is done there - for example repaints such as that done on "Chertsey".

Well technically speaking Alan not strictly true. The painting was done by Martin Callaghan(?) partly using Grendon but he upset Malcolm in some way and was told to go so he had to finish it outside. Given that and he was upset at losing Sam, he did a very good job indeed.

Ah!

I didn't know that - I stand corrected.

(Martin O'Callaghan, I think, and, yes, he did seem to do an excellent job).

WCBS at Stalybridge

Ashton Packet Boat Co. Guide Bridge

Two great yards

As a person, i would also include Ade, currently working on 'Dane' at Alvecote, a fantastic craftsman.

Are there two boats called 'Dane'? I'm reasonably sure I saw a wooden motor called DANE between Norton junction and the Braunston tunnel yesterday, although it was hard to see as there was a butty breasted up on the outside.

MtB