Tunnel etiquette

Leo No2

Featured Posts

I have had a search for anything on this, my new glasses are on order, but I haven't seen anything so here's a question.

I took the boat through Blisworth this afternoon. There was a boat about 300m in front of me when I entered the tunnel but I was quite surprised how quickly I caught up with it. I went right down to tickover but still was 'breathing all over him' (can't think of a better description) so I slipped out of gear (I have a boat that handles exquisitely well out of gear) and coasted along for a while and then back on tickover in gear. It seemed like seconds later I was on top of him again so I went to the front of the boat to speak to him. He was very off-hand when I asked if I might pass him - he seemed to be struggling with leaves around the prop (and yes there are plenty of leaves in Blisworth!). He did eventually agree to let me past and as I drew level with him I was going to suggest he 'chucked back' to clear the prop but he applied a huge amount of power, somewhat deafening me, but at that stage I had enough 'way' on to pass.

It turned out to be a hire boat but I suppose my question is was it reasonable and right to request that I pass him bearing in mind that there was about 2,000m to go. When I looked back on leaving the tunnel I could hardly see his lights.

I suspect the right answer probably depends on the width and length of the tunnel and if any traffic was approaching that I could see but as the tunnel is on my doorstep I would appreciate any views.

Counter view.

Hi forum I was on my first hire boat holiday and going through blisworth tunnel, I was unsure as to how fast I should be going and then I got something around my prop and slowed even further. Another boat caught me up from behind and I let them past'

Was this the right thing to do?

No problem overtaking, and I think it quite correct to ask, but I'd be well p***ed off if he put on power after agreeing to be passed. I don't hang about in tunnels, and probably go through at near normal cruising speed, so have caught up with other boats, but thats life, and just back off and put up with it. But in this case, the hire boat seems to have stopped frequently, so overtaking seems the right thing to do, plus of course asking if he had a problem and needed a tow.

Counter view.

Hi forum I was on my first hire boat holiday and going through blisworth tunnel, I was unsure as to how fast I should be going and then I got something around my prop and slowed even further. Another boat caught me up from behind and I let them past'

Was this the right thing to do?

Yes!

I suppose a bit of clarification (20:20 hindsight is so good) will help. I didn't know it was a hire boat until I went past, I made a conscious decision not to 'bully' my way past which was the reason I went forward to ask - in the circumstances I couldn't have as the boat was keeping roughly to the middle of the tunnel and I don't think he had any idea he had leaves swirling around his prop.

Overtaking in tunnels used to be absolutely normal when we started boating; you just had to watch out for the leggers.

Seriously though there are two important factors that spring to mind (and probably more).

One: If it is a hire boat they may not have a clue, and there may be kids in the well deck forward (or aft) with hands and arms or heads waiting to get trapped. The middle section of Blisworth is not so bad but in a normal tunnel profile with a normal boxy hire boat the risk of hands and arms getting trapped in the dark is a serious consideration. As overtaking vessel it must be your responsibility to "keep clear," which would be difficult to define in a tunnel.

Two: Know your tunnel : Blisworth is OK but try the same at the wrong point in Braunston and it could get interesting.

I think the suggestion to go forward (presumably through the boat?) to talk to the other steerer is sensible so that you can explain what you are doing and ask him to knock his power off.

Frustrating though it may be why not just stop and have a cup of tea (from your thermos: no naked lights!!)

Interesting, when David Schweitzer and myself were coming home from the banter at Buckby we both encountered hire boats negotiating Braunston Tunnel at tick over. Instead of the recommended time of 20 minutes it took me 40.

I wonder if hire boat companies give tuition on traveling in tunnels? I am trying to cast my memory to my hire boat days and I cannot remember tunnels even being mentioned.

Interesting, when David Schweitzer and myself were coming home from the banter at Buckby we both encountered hire boats negotiating Braunston Tunnel at tick over. Instead of the recommended time of 20 minutes it took me 40.

I wonder if hire boat companies give tuition on traveling in tunnels? I am trying to cast my memory to my hire boat days and I cannot remember tunnels even being mentioned.

Nor can I so I suspect it was not covered at all. I picked up what I needed to know from here I'm pretty sure.

Apart from in 2003 before I joined the forum and probably (though can't say for sure) crawled through Foulridge on the L&L at tickover, this being the first tunnel we ever did.

We probably emerged just as the one way traffic lights were about to change.

Edited by The Dog House

If a two way tunnel I usually travel at my normal cruising speed (3mph) down the middle of the tunnel. When I encounter a boat coming the opposite direction I slow to tick over and hug the wall whilst we pass. I then return to normal cruising speed.

I slow when I enter and leave the tunnel. This allows my eyes to become accustomed to the dark on the way in and in case another boat is entering on my way out.

May not be text book but it is what works for me.

Edited by Ray T

Excuse my ignorance, but what is the best way to "attack" a tunnel passage. I have only ever done a couple and do find them slightly intimidating and I am sure first time hirers must find it likewise.

If you meet a boat coming the other way in a two way tunnel whatever you do DON'T STOP if you do you lose all control and drift into the path of the oncoming boat.

This allows my eyes to become accustomed to the dark on the way in

Here's a useful thing, which I probably read here in the first place. When approaching a tunnel, cover one eye. It accustoms that eye to the dark before you enter, and when you uncover it in the tunnel, that eye is already accommodated to the dark. I do it every time now.

Here's a useful thing, which I probably read here in the first place. When approaching a tunnel, cover one eye. It accustoms that eye to the dark before you enter, and when you uncover it in the tunnel, that eye is already accommodated to the dark. I do it every time now.

Glad I'm not the only one using this approach technique. I tend to just shut one eye as I don't want to look like a pirate.

Glad I'm not the only one using this approach technique. I tend to just shut one eye as I don't want to look like a pirate.

It certainly works if you remember to do it in time. I have been known to enter a tunnel wearing sunglasses and then wondering why it was so dark!

Howard

Me I travel at normal speed, for Blisworth that's 4mph, slow down to about 2mph when passing a boat coming the other way, try to keep as much way on as possible. I have been known to wait just inside the tunnel to get a clear run...

At Harecastle the tunnel keepers certainly push the point about going through fast. Im not sure that I agree with their line about how it helps to keep the boat in the middle, but it certainly makes their job easier, and less fumy for those following (well fumes for less duration anyway).

At Harecastle the tunnel keepers certainly push the point about going through fast. Im not sure that I agree with their line about how it helps to keep the boat in the middle, but it certainly makes their job easier, and less fumy for those following (well fumes for less duration anyway).

Yes they do - and if you lose concentration you have too little time to correct and you clatter the tunnel sides with the top front sides of the cabin, the resulting clatter is quite a sound down there,

- there is a happy medium

We also had a frustrating passage back through Braunston tunnel on Sunday morning.

We followed another boat in, and noticed that he had no other lights on than his tunnel light so he was hard to see, and then the first boat we crossed with had a very smoky engine, and after passing him, I could not see the boat ahead at all, until I saw his tunnel band about a boat length in front of me, so I had to hit the brakes. He then went very slowly for the rest of the way, and we passed another 5 or so boats. When we eventually got out and shared Braunston locks with the boat ahead, it turned out he had picked something up on his prop and it took him some time to throw it off. Not a hire boat, and a reminder that there are reasons someone may be going slowly.

I have to say that despite going so slowly and spending significant time in neutral, I would not have dreamed of attempting to pass him.

We also had a frustrating passage back through Braunston tunnel on Sunday morning.

We followed another boat in, and noticed that he had no other lights on than his tunnel light so he was hard to see, and then the first boat we crossed with had a very smoky engine, and after passing him, I could not see the boat ahead at all, until I saw his tunnel band about a boat length in front of me, so I had to hit the brakes. He then went very slowly for the rest of the way, and we passed another 5 or so boats. When we eventually got out and shared Braunston locks with the boat ahead, it turned out he had picked something up on his prop and it took him some time to throw it off. Not a hire boat, and a reminder that there are reasons someone may be going slowly.

I have to say that despite going so slowly and spending significant time in neutral, I would not have dreamed of attempting to pass him.

Silghtly off topic but David had similar problems.

John what time did you leave on Sunday? David and I left about 8.00 am.

Silghtly off topic but David had similar problems.

John what time did you leave on Sunday? David and I left about 8.00 am.

We left at about 11, got into Calcutt just after 4 I think, it was still light at least.

I have to say I was not convinced that it was not just leaves he had picked up, there seemed to be quite a lot in the tunnel.

We left at about 11, got into Calcutt just after 4 I think, it was still light at least.

I have to say I was not convinced that it was not just leaves he had picked up, there seemed to be quite a lot in the tunnel.

I can confirm that

Richard

When following other boats you have to remember that it is a bit like driving a car in fog: easy to follow a car in front but not so easy to see if you are the front car, especially if dazzled by the conveyance behind.

Which reminds me of lights. Giles Baker (Harborough Marine / Anglo Welsh) had the brilliant idea of fitting a standard car headlamp (not a spot light) and he installed them upside down so they would dip upwards to light the arc of the tunnel roof. Much more use than a spotlamp staring straight along in a narrow beam into the gloom, and less dazzling for oncoming boats. We also used to tell hirers to turn on all their cabin lights to light the sides of the tunnel.