Possible severe weather warning for Monday 28th.

Delta9

Featured Posts

Starting to get bad here in Hove already. Raining sideways and the wind is starting to gust. It's gonna get worse before it gets better. :P

And to add to that, my mates in Cornwall are talking about the wind already causing things out in the street to blow down. There might not be a parade of wind-people marching ahead of it holding placards that say "this is the storm" but whatever the weather front is that's in front of the storm, it's already causing a bit of alarm.

Maybe this is just a 'Twinkling' to the 'Twinkle'.Who knows,there is still time for the worst to miss us !.

Blowing quite hard in the Fens now and the EA are ready and have dropped the level by a foot and a half.

Phil

Just to add we have been out moving boats that are moored under Crack Willows (they live up to their name) glad to say no big trees near my boat but one or two smaller ones.

Edited by Phil Ambrose

Newsflash from ATC Heathrow. There is roughly a 100mph difference between planes approaching the UK from the west to east (600mph plus) and planes flying towards the west from the east 490 500mph. If the wind gets up to 500mph or so the planes trying to fly west will end up flying backwards tail first towards the east or just hover like helicopters unable to make any headway. Folk on flights from the UK to America ie Newyork ect are expected to end up in Hellsinki, Oslo or thereabouts instead. So folk intending to fly about in planes today don't expect to arrive at your expected destination, also expect that after many hours spent up in the air you may not have flown anywhere at all but just hung about hovering above the airport. sad.png

Sorry for any disruption. closedeyes.gif

Mr Jonah Windsong ATC manager Heathrow.airport.

Just hit Manchester. Stronger winds. Lots of rain.

That's not the main storm though. We had torrential rain and high winds that woke us at 6am this morning, probably the hardest I,ve ever heard rain hit the boat, winds were at least 40mph and this went on for well over an hour.

Lovely bright sunshine at the moment though, clear as a bell & Blue sky

Solar panels survived last night too, have 30+ amps rolling in LOL

Secured all I can, and really looking forward to tonight's storm smile.png

Oh dear,its edging North.

Our Marina weather station Wind 43mph Gusting 51mph,no rain @ moment. met office inshore weather forecast,, where I am in Littlehampton @ moment is Gale 8,increasing severe Gale 9.

As I said,batten down,& protect ur cider @ all costs.& don't forget to take your washing in !.

Newsflash from ATC Heathrow. There is roughly a 100mph difference between planes approaching the UK from the west to east (600mph plus) and planes flying towards the west from the east 490 500mph. If the wind gets up to 500mph or so the planes trying to fly west will end up flying backwards tail first towards the east or just hover like helicopters unable to make any headway. Folk on flights from the UK to America ie Newyork ect are expected to end up in Hellsinki, Oslo or thereabouts instead. So folk intending to fly about in planes today don't expect to arrive at your expected destination, also expect that after many hours spent up in the air you may not have flown anywhere at all but just hung about hovering above the airport. sad.png

Sorry for any disruption. closedeyes.gif

Mr Jonah Windsong ATC manager Heathrow.airport.

I landed at Gatwick in strong crosswinds at about 11pm last night. It wasn't pleasant and neither was the drive back to the boat.

The wind is starting to pick up here (W Mids) and gusting hard. I hope we're not all downplaying this storm because we think the met office and the bbc are exaggerating it? I've heard forecasts comparing this event to 1987. It could even be the storm of the century - a storm of biblical proportions! tongue.png

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 2

Do you think its occurred to The met office (& military In the event of a Zombie uprising)that they can get better,real time conditions from around the country,just by logging into this thread !.it might save them thousands,(minas a small donation to CWDF Ofcourse).

& John,,I have taken both my canopies down,just incase.

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

Working in a polly tunnel is a really uncomfortable experience, in high wind. On a few occasions I've dived into the boat I was working on. When the pottoon the tunnel is attached to starts to rise and fall with the wind, it's interesting, to say the least.

I landed at Gatwick in strong crosswinds at about 11pm last night. It wasn't pleasant and neither was the drive back to the boat.

The wind is starting to pick up here (W Mids) and gusting hard. I hope we're not all downplaying this storm because we think the met office and the bbc are exaggerating it? I've heard forecasts comparing this event to 1986. It could even be the storm of the century - a storm of biblical proportions! tongue.png

Me too at Gatwick, years ago coming back from Bulgaria in a Danair Comet landing in cross wind gale, I felt big bangs as each set of wheels hit the deck in turn. They crab in when landing in a cross wind and hopefully quickly straighten up as the wheels touch. You could smoke in aircraft in those days which calmed the nerves.

Me too at Gatwick, years ago coming back from Bulgaria in a Danair Comet landing in cross wind gale, I felt big bangs as each set of wheels hit the deck in turn. They crab in when landing in a cross wind and hopefully quickly straighten up as the wheels touch. You could smoke in aircraft in those days which calmed the nerves.

They played soothing classical music on Monarch last night as we were bouncing around on the final approach. I think it has the opposite effect because people naturally think about the music on the titanic as it went down...

They played soothing classical music on Monarch last night as we were bouncing around on the final approach. I think it has the opposite effect because people naturally think about the music on the titanic as it went down...

Was it Abide with me. Didn't have music on Danair, it had ash trays though. The joke saying used to be that on boarding you were issued with a raffle ticket each at the door by a hostess that looked and sounded like Irene Handle to try and win the only bag of fish and chips meal.