Possible severe weather warning for Monday 28th.

Delta9

Featured Posts

Ricco your are wrong, we do not have a climate, we have Weather.

That means we can have all kinds of extremes all in the same day snow in the morning then in T-shirts in the afternoon. Like this year we were sitting outside in T-shirts with a few stubbys in Feburary for example.

Phil

That means we can have all kinds of extremes all in the same day snow in the morning then in T-shirts in the afternoon. Like this year we were sitting outside in T-shirts with a few stubbys in Feburary for example.

Phil

I agree. We always have Christmas and new year onboard and the weather has ranged from exceptionally mild t shirt weather to the marina being frozen solid and freezing cold outside through to flooding.

The uks weather is very varied. The storm due to land over the weekend is nothing unusual but it is the first large storm of the year so it is worth reminding people to be aware.

The storm due to land over the weekend is nothing unusual but it is the first large storm of the year so it is worth reminding people to be aware.

Especially as wind can disturb the rear covers/bring down leaves blocking drains and the severe rain deluge the engine bay on cruisers/semitrads.

I agree with Ricco about the British and the weather. The difference here is that this is a boat forum and bad weather can flood rivers and even heavy rain can sink boats.

It looks like the OPs boat has a trad stern which are generally not as prone to flooding as cruisers and semi-trads, but make sure all drainage channels (bow and stern) are clear before you go.

Edited by blackrose

The British:

Not happy to have one of the most benign climates in the world. Not just that though. No active volcanos, little likelihood of an impending disaster by earthquake. No poisonous spiders, few poisonous snakes, no dangerous wild animals. In short, if you exclude the dangers other humans may pose, one of the safest places on earth.

There be dragons North of Banbury

Bones has seen them unsure.png

Phil

Neither snow, nor sitting in t shirt weather, is extreme. If it went from -25 to +40 on that day you would be right. But Britain has never had those extremes. Many other countries round the world do. Some just one extreme, but others have both. Siberia for example has +40 in the summer, -40 in the winter. Closer to home, just 2 hours flying time; Poland has +35 and -30. These extremes happen every year and are not described as 'heatwaves' or 'the big freeze' by a panicking public and in the media.

Having lived in Poland for a year, it's really no big deal. You just dress, go out or stay in, as is appropriate.

Neither snow, nor sitting in t shirt weather, is extreme. If it went from -25 to +40 on that day you would be right. But Britain has never had those extremes. Many other countries round the world do. Some just one extreme, but others have both. Siberia for example has +40 in the summer, -40 in the winter. Closer to home, just 2 hours flying time; Poland has +35 and -30. These extremes happen every year and are not described as 'heatwaves' or 'the big freeze' by a panicking public and in the media.

Having lived in Poland for a year, it's really no big deal. You just dress, go out or stay in, as is appropriate.

I don't think in general it's the public panicking, rather the media (and especially the daily express) trying to whip them up.

Also the met office seem to always want to err on the pessimistic side ever since Michael Fish's Hurricane.

The other thing is that we have a 'temperate' climate while Poland etc have a 'Continental' climate where temperature extremes are expected.

(trying to recall first year geography)

Tim

I don't think in general it's the public panicking, rather the media (and especially the daily express) trying to whip them up.

Also the met office seem to always want to err on the pessimistic side ever since Michael Fish's Hurricane.

The other thing is that we have a 'temperate' climate while Poland etc have a 'Continental' climate where temperature extremes are expected.

(trying to recall first year geography)

Tim

That's what I'm saying. A temperate climate is, by definition and nature, one that lacks extremes.

they must be looking at ways to not payout after the storm!

'Sorry, we will not settle your claim as we told you the storm was heading your way, and you didn't do enough to protect yourself'.

I dont think its that they dont want to settle claims, rather that they want to minimise the number of claims they get in the first place.

I havent received this particular email, but in the past Ive always found this sort of advice from Craftinsure to be sound and practical. Although the advice is fairly obvious to me as a liveaboard, from their perspective these warnings make perfect business sense.

That's what I'm saying. A temperate climate is, by definition and nature, one that lacks extremes.

It's not the extremes, but the change over short periods. Britain has an extremely variable climate compared to Poland where you know it will be cold in winter and hot in the summer. No need to talk about the weather there, you know what to expect. Mind you, I rarely found Poland in winter as bitterly cold as here, where the damp atmosphere makes it feel much worse. My friends in Poland were always surprised that I didn't go over the top with layers of clothes. I think the worst cold I have experienced was in Berlin. Visiting the Muhlendamm Lock, the temperature was -10, but the wind chill factor made it much worse.

When I have to leave the boat for a week at a time I keep having dreams that I'm going to come back to it sunk. Do these go away after time?

I used to have those regularly, usually involved our boat becoming awash like a submarine as I reversed, on one occasion I solved the problem by realising our 60' boat was actually only 6' long and so was able to lift It out and empty it!

Bizarre.

Guess the trip to Alton towers on Sunday is going to be a wet and windy one!

You should have gone yesterday :-)

Best you get an early start as the day will deteriorate quickly to evening.

Wait for smiler was worth it....

Bugger...

Problem is we have 4 kids to please, plus we are supposed to be doing the whole day till 9pm as it late opening.

Best get some pac-a-macs.

Will not leave till every ride is done....

Problem is we have 4 kids to please, plus we are supposed to be doing the whole day till 9pm as it late opening.

Best get some pac-a-macs.

Will not leave till every ride is done....

I hate to piss on your parade but some of the big coasters might not be running if the winds are very high....

Yeah that was a thought i had this morning...

Get them done first thing i reckon, then see how the day turns out.

I would certainly give them a bell before setting off - it's not unknown for them to close the whole park in very bad weather.

Yeah that was a thought i had this morning...

Get them done first thing i reckon, then see how the day turns out.

do the smiler first, 70 min queue yesterday from lunchtime onwards.

It also broke down at 8pm for 30 min but they kept it running until 9.45pm to clear the queue.

we do this every october,in midweek. Hotel it overnight and in park as the doors open, last ones to leave :-)

Usually minimal or no queues on big rides.

Edited by matty40s

If you want to feel cold, try Norfolk in February. The wind howls over those great flat expanses, and freezes the marrow in your very bones.

Don't I just know it. Th ewinds blow straight from the frozen East because there's nothing in the way to stop them.

I thought the Urals were men's toilets until i discovered Norfolk in winter.

do the smiler first, 70 min queue yesterday from lunchtime onwards.

It also broke down at 8pm for 30 min but they kept it running until 9.45pm to clear the queue.

we do this every october,in midweek. Hotel it overnight and in park as the doors open, last ones to leave :-)

Usually minimal or no queues on big rides.

Noted!

Cheers

Nah, still not selling it to me because the extremes you cited are for summer and winter, so you lived in Poland, well I worked in Germany , so what.

Phil

• Greenie 1