Possible severe weather warning for Monday 28th.

Delta9

Featured Posts

Well, just checked a couple of weather sites and it looks like Sunday and Monday will probably be a bit wet and it could get a bit breezy, especially on Monday.

South Cheshire always seems to miss out on the worst of the weather (although it did get a bit nippy a couple of years ago).

Well, just checked a couple of weather sites and it looks like Sunday and Monday will probably be a bit wet and it could get a bit breezy, especially on Monday.

South Cheshire always seems to miss out on the worst of the weather (although it did get a bit nippy a couple of years ago).

It does seem like it's been blown (no pun intended) out of proportion.

Yes lots of rain and some high winds but not the worst storm for 26 years as I think the Express claimed.

It's not the extremes, but the change over short periods. Britain has an extremely variable climate compared to Poland where you know it will be cold in winter and hot in the summer. No need to talk about the weather there, you know what to expect. Mind you, I rarely found Poland in winter as bitterly cold as here, where the damp atmosphere makes it feel much worse. My friends in Poland were always surprised that I didn't go over the top with layers of clothes. I think the worst cold I have experienced was in Berlin. Visiting the Muhlendamm Lock, the temperature was -10, but the wind chill factor made it much worse.

My experience of Poland in winter was that westerly winds were as common as easterlies. Westerlies would give similar weather to Britain i.e. windy and damp, albeit a few degrees cooler. The easterlies brought very low temperatures with very low humidity. Bearable, but if there was a wind, it was a killer. I remember waiting for a non-existent bus to Lodz airport, going home for Christmas. I only waited 25 minutes in -20, and had top class thermals in 3 layers. It took me about 8 hours to warm up.

It's not the extremes, but the change over short periods. Britain has an extremely variable climate compared to Poland where you know it will be cold in winter and hot in the summer. No need to talk about the weather there, you know what to expect. Mind you, I rarely found Poland in winter as bitterly cold as here, where the damp atmosphere makes it feel much worse. My friends in Poland were always surprised that I didn't go over the top with layers of clothes. I think the worst cold I have experienced was in Berlin. Visiting the Muhlendamm Lock, the temperature was -10, but the wind chill factor made it much worse.

My experience of Poland in winter was that westerly winds were as common as easterlies. Westerlies would give similar weather to Britain i.e. windy and damp, albeit a few degrees cooler. The easterlies brought very low temperatures with very low humidity. Bearable, but if there was a wind, it was a killer. I remember waiting for a non-existent bus to Lodz airport, going home for Christmas. I only waited 25 minutes in -20, and had top class thermals in 3 layers. It took me about 8 hours to warm up.

Wind is the killer, when I was a chef we often had to sort out the walk-in freezer and would quite happily spend 1/2 an hour doing so just dressed in our whites, the temp in the freezer was about -20

Phil

Edited by Phil Ambrose

It does seem like it's been blown (no pun intended) out of proportion.

Yes lots of rain and some high winds but not the worst storm for 26 years as I think the Express claimed.

Ive got trips out on the Trent tonite, tomorow and every day next week. Tis a little breezy here at present so hope it doesnt get too bad or I will have to cancel the sailings and get moaned at big time unsure.png

Tim

We'll its started !,

It's blowing approx 30mph,,Gusting has topped 40mph ssw so far,getting steadily worse, Driving rain,very black sky,,I have taken fwd & aft canopies down & rigged the boat for a thrashing, Got no sat t.v,(No x factor or Strictly ! To endure,Wo hoo)but have got plenty of cider & DVDs so should be fine.

So hope you are all snug & safe & can sit out the impending doom safely,afterwhitch i expect Zombies would have taken over,so see you on the other side !.

By the way,ime currently in Littlehampton,,& I ain't going anywhere soon.

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

We'll,I hope it misses you up there,,there has already been 1 ripped boat canopy on the middle pontoon,So its going to be a buisy week for the insurance companies I think.

One good gesture,ive had an e-mail from the Marina,saying that they are going to provide extra boat checks on the pontoons this weekend due to the weather.

Nice to see where some of our mooring fee is going.actually it is good of them,as they don't have to Ofcourse.

We'll,I hope it misses you up there,,there has already been 1 ripped boat canopy on the middle pontoon,So its going to be a buisy week for the insurance companies I think.

One good gesture,ive had an e-mail from the Marina,saying that they are going to provide extra boat checks on the pontoons this weekend due to the weather.

Nice to see where some of our mooring fee is going.actually it is good of them,as they don't have to Ofcourse.

Just watching the news tonight, this predicted storm doesn't even exist yet, it's just a twinkle in the eye of the forecasters, somewhere well out over the Atlantic, so it must be something else where you are (wherever that is?)

Tim

Overnight tonight should see some vicious winds as a weather front passes through, then from late tommorow the real beasty is coming in.

looks like the south coast,wales and east anglia will see the worst of the winds, with heaviest rain over central and northern england.

this is not a storm to take lightly.

Hi ya Timleech

A weather site that you can access,that all the Fishermen & Divers have introduced me to in my short time here is XCWeather.co.UK then look up Littlehampton,Have a look.

It gives near hourly updates,its quite good & locally revered as accurate.

Ssw 23/39mph & 4.3mm of rain is next cpl hrs,as I said earlier,,it was getting worse.& is being channeled/funneled straight up the river to our moorings !.

Hi ya Timleech

A weather site that you can access,that all the Fishermen & Divers have introduced me to in my short time here is XCWeather.co.UK then look up Littlehampton,Have a look.

It gives near hourly updates,its quite good & locally revered as accurate.

Ssw 23/39mph & 4.3mm of rain is next cpl hrs,as I said earlier,,it was getting worse.& is being channeled/funneled straight up the river to our moorings !.

Interesting site, I'll note the link, but is your weather now anything to do with the predicted storm?

Tim

Edited by Timleech

Hey,I can only say what I see out the window Timleech. Hove (referred to in previous post by another member) is just up the coast.from Littlehampton ,X C. Weather ,is pretty accurate weather data site, !. + the met office inshore waters forecast,valid from 18:00 earlier today,until 18:00 tomorrow covering our sea area of Northforeland to Selsey Bill says Gale force 7 to Gale force 9..So a s suggested ,its going to get worse where I am. Weather its the storm you are referring to as a twinkle in the weather man's eye,or not,I can say with some conviction, that it's already quite bad here none the less.

So dont know what your trying to say !.(probably my fault,in understanding you).but hope this twinkle misses you anyway.

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

Have you, very wise. I'm worried about me pegs losing their grip, some are plastic from the 99p shop. If they do all me washing'll end up in the mud .

If you double clipped them; they should be fine! Although if towels, they may get too heavy - on the bright side, they'll be well rinsed!

If you double clipped them; they should be fine! Although if towels, they may get too heavy - on the bright side, they'll be well rinsed!

Yes, that's a good idea. I pre rinse my washing in the river when it looks clean and then in fresh water. I don't trust plastic pegs at all really. I have roughly the same amount of wooden pegs so I've put an equal amount of plastic and wooden pegs on each item of washing on the line to spread the load so to speak. Those pegs made from damp twigs that Gypsies used to come to the door and sell used to be really good and strong. On really heavy washing its a good idea to use Mole-grips and G-clamps when its very windy yer know, bit of an expensive way of doing it but cheap £1 shops sell cheap ones. Just one Mole-grip or G-clamp is all that's required on each item of washing to stop em taking off and blowing away

I remember I and my mum watching all her washing blow away once '' sheets pillow cases and stuff'' which had all been boiled up in a gas copper and poked about with a stick and rubbed on a rubbing board. Well all of a sudden there was huge great gusts of storm force wind and Whoooooosh!! whoooooosh !! wooooooooooooooosh!!!!!!!!! and it broke free and all went flapping off downwind like a flock of Swans shaking off and catapulting their pegs right and left.through the air, far and wide. It all fell back to earth about six gardens away at No 82 a Mrs Toovey's and I was sent to fetch it all back and mum had to set to and wash it all over again.

Its a good plan to peer about up in the sky before hanging out your washing, if you see all the birds flying backwards its always a good sign that the winds too strong to hang it out. mellow.png

Hey,I can only say what I see out the window Timleech. Hove (referred to in previous post by another member) is just up the coast.from Littlehampton ,X C. Weather ,is pretty accurate weather data site, !. & as I suggested ,its going to get worse where I am. So weather its the storm you are referring to as a twinkle in the weather man's eye,or not,I can say with some conviction,It's quite bad here none the less.

So dont know what your trying to say !.(probably my fault,in understanding you).but hope this twinkle misses you anyway.

And to add to that, my mates in Cornwall are talking about the wind already causing things out in the street to blow down. There might not be a parade of wind-people marching ahead of it holding placards that say "this is the storm" but whatever the weather front is that's in front of the storm, it's already causing a bit of alarm.