CWF gets a drubbing in the Towpath Talk

Mick and Maggie

Featured Posts

I see that the 'Stillwater' column in Towpath talk (p110) has taken on the forum members - Some of who he has described as cheap-jack rabble rowsing. Not only that it seems that its been written at the behest of the IWA and a certain Mr Moran (who he?).

Have a read and a good laugh - hopefully he has cooled down to fiery by now.

Here's a link to the page:

http://www.mpldigital.com/mortons-media/towpath-talk

Use the playback controls at the top of the page to navigate to page 110 & you'll find the article in question in the bottom left.

Can't say as I know what the guy is actually trying to say beyond takeing the p*** out of one of our members & belittling our opinion.

I had a bit of chew finding it-

Linky here-

Here's a link to the page:

http://www.mpldigital.com/mortons-media/towpath-talk

Use the playback controls at the top of the page to navigate to page 110 & you'll find the article in question in the bottom left.

Can't say as I know what the guy is actually trying to say beyond takeing the p*** out of one of our members & belittling our opinion.

I couldn't get the controls to work on that link if any body has the same chew try the link I posted.

Is the article in Towpath Talk not pretty accurate? Cotswoldman did say that Vince Moran of CRT would not speak to him any more and we all came out in sympathy but it later transpired when fuller details of the email correspondance was made public that what Vince Moran of CRT had suggested was improving the User Group meetings to make them more beneficial to boaters. I don't see any mention of anything being at the behest of the IWA in the Towpath talk article I read.

I am probably wrong but that was my take on what happenned.

haggis

• Greenie 1

I had a bit of chew finding it-

Linky here-

I couldn't get the controls to work on that link if any body has the same chew try the link I posted.

Did you not get a little pop up set of instructions? Maybe your firewall blocked it, I have to tell my NoScript to temporarily allow mpldigital.com before I can access it.

Is the article in Towpath Talk not pretty accurate? Cotswoldman did say that Vince Moran of CRT would not speak to him any more and we all came out in sympathy but it later transpired when fuller details of the email correspondance was made public that what Vince Moran of CRT had suggested was improving the User Group meetings to make them more beneficial to boaters. I don't see any mention of anything being at the behest of the IWA in the Towpath talk article I read.

haggis

The piece does say that IWA had complained to CRT about the meetings.

It also refers to the 'CWF crowd' in a derogatory manner, as though they/we ('the crowd') were collectively responsible for the meetings and/or for moaning about them coming to an end. Shows a complete lack of understanding (NBW-style) of how discussion forums work.

Tim

I read the article OK.

Firstly I do think it is odd to issolate a single thread and individual poster in such a way in a publication. A forum is not a specific organisation or publication. People post all sorts of stuff some true some edifying and some the direct opposite.

However, with the hindsight of time and events I have some degree of agreement with the article. The original thread did prove to be a somewhat over reaction to a situation possibly hysterical and manipulative as well. This is one of the reasons I felt we had been treated with less than an open and honest front when some weekes later the ACC was announced.

However, the article is just an opinion and like here we are entittled to them and no need to get in a tizz about or man the baracades.

• Greenie 3

haggis

Apart from the negative spinning, yes. It's pretty lazy journalism though - all the content is in the public domain via this forum.

Richard

It is indeed lazy journalism, but that seems to be par for the course these days.

I think anyone being even handed about it would probably admit there were faults on both sides - CRT could have handled the whole affair better, CWDF probably over reacted.

But a grown up attitude would be that this is all new ground and tempers are bound to get frayed until everyone adjusts to new ways of working. If "Stillwater" had done his homework he would have mentioned that something constructive, ie the ACC, has come out of all this.

As it reads I think it's very unfair on John Sloan particularly.

I had the impression that the IWA was behind this and some of the other articles in TT. The IWA certainly give the impression that they think they are the only people that should be allowed to talk to C&RT.

And they certainly don't understand what a discussion forum is. The thread(s) in question developed over time as a discussion should. I wonder if the author had actually followed the discussion. No wonder it is anonymous.

I had the impression that the IWA was behind this and some of the other articles in TT. The IWA certainly give the impression that they think they are the only people that should be allowed to talk to C&RT.

I don't think that is true.

The IWA as an organisation think that it is best that constructive discussions should happen between organisations and the CRT in the main. That means any organisations with the weight of members opinion behind them be that IWA, NABO, RBOA the ACC or any other organisation recognised by the CRT.

This principle at least has been recgognised by Cotswoldman at least since the ACC was formed to do just that for its CCer members.

Personally though I think it is useful if the CRT at least occassionally have open meetings directly with boaters in a vox pop style.

It is indeed lazy journalism, but that seems to be par for the course these days.

I think anyone being even handed about it would probably admit there were faults on both sides - CRT could have handled the whole affair better, CWDF probably over reacted.

But a grown up attitude would be that this is all new ground and tempers are bound to get frayed until everyone adjusts to new ways of working. If "Stillwater" had done his homework he would have mentioned that something constructive, ie the ACC, has come out of all this.

As it reads I think it's very unfair on John Sloan particularly.

Hold on a second, by far the majority of CWDF members made no comment whatsoever. Irrespective of whether you think those that did contrbute over reacted or not, you are as guilty as "Towpath Talk" for misrepresenting what actually happened.

At least they haven't just cut and pasted the content, like others have a tendency towards.

As the OP now I believe writes regularly for a site where that is commonplace, I assume he doesn't find that approach unacceptable, or is at least prepared to overlook how often they do this when getting his own pieces published.

(Note: Definitely not accusing OP of plagiarism, but that site is of course rife with it).

• Greenie 1

Surely this is exactly the same article that was being discussed in a CWDF thread about a week ago.

Or are there multiple ones?

(I can't be arsed to read it - if you have ever read one "Old Bilge Pump" or "Stillwater" article in that publication, you quickly realise it is a part of your life that you will never get back!.....)

What, all of us? How did we manage to reach a consensus

Richard

I did reach a consensus, but if you recall, you disagreed with me......

As the OP now I believe writes regularly for a site where that is commonplace, I assume he doesn't find that approach unacceptable, or is at least prepared to overlook how often they do this when getting his own pieces published.

(Note: Definitely not accusing OP of plagiarism, but that site is of course rife with it).

This I guess is the point. No such thing as bad publicity I guess (:-

That's because you reached the wrong consensus

Richard

Agreed!

See post #5 above

Ah I misunderstood Post #5

I wrongly assumed it to be linking to another Towpath Talk article, but about ACC.

(You see how much I don't want to read these articles is evidenced by the fact that I don't follow links that I think are going to them!.....)