What have you fettled for the boat today?

Featured Posts

Cos they are the wrong type of seal.

Use this calculator to see what is and isn't resistant to any given chemical.

http://www.coleparmer.co.uk/Chemical-Resistance

It just says "Rubber Gasket For 50mm Fl on the packet, I can't see that listed on the site you gave a link for.frusty.gif

Today I hit some of the rust on the roof, scraping the blisters off and applying Kurust, this afternoon as soon as I got the primer out and it rained for 10 minutes.

It just says "Rubber Gasket For 50mm Fl on the packet, I can't see that listed on the site you gave a link for.frusty.gif

Use the calculator.

Select the chemical you want (diesel fuel) then look to see what the chemical resistance is for a given material.

It's a useful tool to ensure the correct material is selected. One that Won't have been used by the manufacturer of your expanding seal ;)

I have turned the bath round, re-plumbed it and then spent the rest of the day trying to cut laminate wallboard to re-clad round the bath / shower area. An absolute pig of a job. Hopefully it will all still be on the walls tomorrow!

Having spent weeks sanding and fettling I finally got to start getting the paint on, sigh of relief, the end is in sight. To be honest, at my age it has proved to be damned hard work that I would have made light of a few years ago.

Phil

Toddled off excitedly this morning in the drizzle to collect my (very quickly delivered) consignment of replacement LED bulbs...

Came back in a torrential downpour and set to..... (after a change of clothes and a cuppa..)

Bedazzled are AWESOME! The colour temperature of these warm white LEDs is spot on, the build quality is excellent - and i've reduced our 14-15a drain (with all lights on inc 2x 12v fans in the kitchen and bathroom) to barely 1.5a.... I also cleaned the gold coloured housings and all now looks fab...

I also made my first template porthole bung out of a bit of a hula-hoop, some nice Laura Ashley curtain and a bit of a blackout blind!

biggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.png

Today I removed the heatshrink temporary double glazing on our portholes. Won't ever use that stuff again as getting the residual glue off the wall has been a nightmare. And warming it up with a hairdryer as recommended made things worse.

For porthole bungs I used discs of white hardboard and put some black 3/8 pipe insulation round the outside plus a handle. Didnt take long to make at all.

Top Cat

Edited by Top cat

I made a disc of MDF slightly smaller that the porthole aperture and then put foam draft excluder round the edge. Drilled a small hole in the middle and put a machine screw through it. Then covered one side in fabric bringing it over the edge and glueing on the other side. Cut another smaller disc out of card again with a small hole in the centre and slipped it over the Machine screw and glued it to the fabric MDF, fitted a know on the screw and that was it.

Toddled off excitedly this morning in the drizzle to collect my (very quickly delivered) consignment of replacement LED bulbs...

Came back in a torrential downpour and set to..... (after a change of clothes and a cuppa..)

Bedazzled are AWESOME! The colour temperature of these warm white LEDs is spot on, the build quality is excellent - and i've reduced our 14-15a drain (with all lights on inc 2x 12v fans in the kitchen and bathroom) to barely 1.5a.... I also cleaned the gold coloured housings and all now looks fab...

I also made my first template porthole bung out of a bit of a hula-hoop, some nice Laura Ashley curtain and a bit of a blackout blind!

biggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.png

Just done the same - replaced all lights with LED's. Got lovely GU10 chaps for the lounge area on 240V which are a nice 'warm white'. Then I set about replacing the tiny B15 bulbs on the 12v circuit and thought that LED would not throw out as much light as standard bulbs, so ordered 'cool white' for these. Flippin' 'eck, they're bright! It's like being in a car showroom! May have to change these for 'warm white' eventually, but they'll do for now.

So, tip - anyone thinking of replacing their bulbs with LED versions, they throw out a lot more light than you think they're going to! Go for 'warm white'.

The reduction in current draw is amazing and I read somewhere that they never burn out and last 50000 hrs or something daft like that. They may be pricey at the moment, but definitely worth it...

Cheers! cool.png

Over last 3 days I have cut and polished the paint on one side of the boat.

Currently cleaning one side of the cratch, then I will turn it and start doing the other side tomorrow (weather permitting).