Continuous cruising- Macc canal- mile posts?

Ricco1

Featured Posts

I was chatting to a fellow boater on the Macclesfield canal today. He told me that CRT are about to introduce a new system for continuous cruising on the canal. They will install a post every mile. Anyone without a home mooring has to move (in one direction only) a given number of posts every 2 weeks. He told me it was 10 posts (10 miles!!) although I can't believe that.

Anyone heard anything about this?

Excuse me for showing my ignorance (but it is Friday night so perhaps my brain isn't in gear) but what is so unbelieveable about expecting a CCer to cover 10 milesin a fortnight?

Stay in one place for 14 days and on the last day cruise for 3 hours or so. What am I missing?

Excuse me for showing my ignorance (but it is Friday night so perhaps my brain isn't in gear) but what is so unbelieveable about expecting a CCer to cover 10 milesin a fortnight?

Stay in one place for 14 days and on the last day cruise for 3 hours or so. What am I missing?

An understanding of the legislation

• Greenie 1

An understanding of the legislation

LOL on the K&A it's proposed not much more than that in a year LOLOLOLOL

20Km (12.5 miles) is a range, not a total distance, to be completed within the period of an annual licence; i.e. if you do A-B-C-D-C-B-A then 'A' must be at least 12.5 miles distant from 'D'.

Full version in this thread, post 106

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=59702&page=6

The Macc already has mile posts (stone ones). Not all of them are legible though.

And a few ¼ mile posts too.

The mile posts were buried during WW2, but most were re-instated by the Macc Canal Society many years ago - long before CC'ing was an issue.

They were buried in case of a German invasion. I'm sure the Germans would have travelled much further than 10 miles every 2 weeks ........................ ;-)

What you are maybe missing id that in one hour I can cruise about 3 miles or in half an hour I can cruise about 1 1/2 miles

No Cotswoldman I can cope with maths to that extent (just about) what I couldn't get my head round (and still can't) is that the general tone of the posts (to me) seemed to suggest that it was totally unreasonable to expect anybody to be able to carry out those requirements.

Perhaps as i said with it being Friday my brain wasn't working properly.

I understand the ptrol/enforcement officer to have advised that all those without home moorings habitually on the Macclesfield Canal are going to be given up to date information regarding guidance and the enforcement action that will be taken.

Strangely 7 miles is mentioned?

We are on the Macc right now, and the (small) August rush is well and truly over, my main observation is that there are really not many boats here at all, and even fewer moving. I have only seen 4 or 5 boats that could possibly be a "continuous moorer" problem so would be surprised if CaRT feel they need to do anything here.

I have just read about the lovely stone mileposts...they were all buried in the war in case the Germans invaded the Macc and did not have a map!!!

The Macc society managed to find and re-erect all but three of them....and if you look closely you can still read every word!

...........Dave

We are on the Macc right now, and the (small) August rush is well and truly over, my main observation is that there are really not many boats here at all, and even fewer moving. I have only seen 4 or 5 boats that could possibly be a "continuous moorer" problem so would be surprised if CaRT feel they need to do anything here.

I have just read about the lovely stone mileposts...they were all buried in the war in case the Germans invaded the Macc and did not have a map!!!

The Macc society managed to find and re-erect all but three of them....and if you look closely you can still read every word!

...........Dave

Just out of interest, what does a boat that "could possibly be a continuous moorer" look like?

Just out of interest, what does a boat that "could possibly be a continuous moorer" look like?

Not easy to define of course, and it depends on exactly how one defines continuous moorer. Some people sadly use the term to refer to any untidy boat that they do not like the look of.

Also do note that I said "could POSSIBLY be continuous moorers". I choose my words carefully as we spend a lot of time on the K&A and I well know that many boats that sometimes appear fixed to the towpath, with possessions all over the place, actually up sticks and move very frequently

We were last on the Macc a year ago and I noticed one boat that is moored on the towpath in exactly the same position as it was then, and had fixed various protest notices to a nearby bridge. There was no sign to indicate it was a CaRT permanent mooring. This boat might possibly be a very continuous moorer, but it might have every right to be where it is. In general boats that have a huge amount of associated clutter, and even a "tender" full of more stuff are less likely to be on a major progressive journey round the system...but then I know one or two who are.

I also know a few continuous moorers who know how to look nothing at all like a continuous moorer and have successfully lived on the same 5 mile stretch of canal for many years!

For a bit of fun maybe the forum could make a list of the ten obvious characteristics of a continuous moorer?.

.............Dave