Shame about this site!!!!!!!! Shame on you

POCO

Featured Posts

I'm getting into this heritage stuff. In wilkinsons the other day, I saw these half moon rubber feet things with self adhesive backs. £1.40 for 10. Bought 10 packs, stuck them around the bow and stern, painted them for effect. Brilliant, looked like a hudson (I like hudsons).

P*ssed with rain last night, they've all fallen off :-(

Old boys club!!! That's all this is, not NB at all, the real NB are those that are on the cut, if you lot knew anything about narrowboats you wouldn't be calling a rudder nut emelisher a tiller pin, they are about a metre apart, it's the usual story,.......I have a boat.....go no where......but I'm happy to tell everyone else what they are doing wrong..........

Get out on your boat on the cut............oh no better not as you lot don't really know what your doing,..in your marinas....

Ok, bye then.

Bye

Old boys club!!! That's all this is, not NB at all, the real NB are those that are on the cut, if you lot knew anything about narrowboats you wouldn't be calling a rudder nut emelisher a tiller pin,

I am sorry that my trying to help you has upset you I did point out I had never heard of a rudder nut embellisher.

If I was going to be really naughty I would point out that at least I can spell embellisher but not being naughty I won't.

Incidentally I would suggest that Bye is the most sensible thing you have posted today!

I joined this site to gain knowledge and friendship from fellow n boaters, I'm no stranger to boating and I think I know my stuff, my initial question was to where to purchase a rudder bolt embellisher, a helpful sole sent me links to matalan etc for curtain pole ends,... I think he was serious, .........helpful, he added that he had one! Nice, but I am looking for one to give to my wife for a 21st wedding anneversary, not that it seems a lot on this site!!!!!

I then had a querie bout my eberspacher.............well I need not have bothered,

On this site I thought you would give advice or comment if you k we what you were on about,.........mmmlmmm

Are you a troll? After only 4 posts on your Eber query you call the forum into question - and 3 of the posts were yours!

So I am not surprised you have had the response you have had, and would suggest you might be better off seeking your advice elsewhere.

Personally, this is my Go To place if I have a problem and I have almost always found a solution, albeit I have sometimes had to provide a bit more detail over the course of a thread and, every now and then, things go off on a tangent. The difference might be that I don't think I have ever criticised anyone for not being able to help me - at NO COST!

As for "old boys network", I suspect that, given the nature of the canal network, and the relative anonymity of forums like this, most of the people here will never have met, or even know, most of the people here - so I don't know how it can be an old boys network.

good luck with your boating problems. I suspect they will be more expensive to cure than they might have been.

Edited by Richard10002

I joined this site to gain knowledge and friendship from fellow n boaters, I'm no stranger to boating and I think I know my stuff, my initial question was to where to purchase a rudder bolt embellisher, a helpful sole sent me links to matalan etc for curtain pole ends,... I think he was serious, .........helpful, he added that he had one! Nice, but I am looking for one to give to my wife for a 21st wedding anneversary, not that it seems a lot on this site!!!!!

I then had a querie bout my eberspacher.............well I need not have bothered,

On this site I thought you would give advice or comment if you k we what you were on about,.........mmmlmmm

In light of the advice that I have freely received on this (and other) forums these past twelve years, I think your post is extremely unfair. If I knew the first thing about the items that you require assistance with, I would be the first to assist. Have you tried the search facility?

Shame on me? I don't think so buddy!

Sorry you feel this way Pocco, I have only had a couple of 'spatts', with less than a handful of members here, such is life I guess. The majority of fellow members have been so helpful and supportive to me. When my boat sadly sank the amount of offers of help, from all over the country was overwhelming. Some of the people I had already met, but the majority I hadn't and the only connection that we all shared, was that we were 'boaters, and that's what we do, we help each other whenever we can :-) this is a very informative and generally helpful site. There a good bunch and sometimes online things come over differently than if you were face to face :-) Lorraine

• Greenie 1

Well I'm guessing it might be the bit where the bottom of the swan's neck attaches to the rudder shaft. I've seen a few boats with "curtain pole ends" baubles on there, though I wouldn't want one!

ETA oops, sorry Ray, no insult intended!

Edited by nicknorman

Old boys club!!! That's all this is, not NB at all, the real NB are those that are on the cut, if you lot knew anything about narrowboats you wouldn't be calling a rudder nut emelisher a tiller pin, they are about a metre apart, it's the usual story,.......I have a boat.....go no where......but I'm happy to tell everyone else what they are doing wrong..........

Get out on your boat on the cut............oh no better not as you lot don't really know what your doing,..in your marinas....

Bye

Well..... thats told me then.

Having first been a little concerned that you felt like this I was trying to help and therefore asked what you meant and assumed (incorrectly as it happens) that it was a tiller pin you were thinking of. Being new to this too, I had wanted to post something as I had and still do feel that folks on here help when they can.

This post from you is IMO is rude and given that that's how you feel I wont be posting to "help" you again. Good luck with getting your wife's anniversary present

Incidentally as Google has never heard of a Rudder Nut Embellisher or even a Rudder Nut Embelisher can somebody enlighten me as to what they are/look like.

This is mine but quite a few have them.

zdvu.jpg

Beaten to it by Richard

Edited by Ray T

Well I'm guessing it might be the bit where the bottom of the swan's neck attaches to the rudder shaft. I've seen a few boats with "curtain pole ends" baubles on there, though I wouldn't want one!

Thanks for that Nick personally, I can't imagine why anyone would want something in such an out of the way spot and on a utilitarian connection.

This is mine but quite a few have them.

zdvu.jpg

Beaten to it by Richard

Thanks for that. Not to my taste I am afraid but at least I now know what they look like.

A complete novice 2 months ago, I've asked loads of questions on here. I've been given lots of advice, some of which I've taken. I can quite honestly say that I don't think it would have been possible for me to buy a boat and kit it out so it's just about ready as a liveaboard without the advice of the people here. I even had specific information about a boat I was looking at, a boat I've now bought.

Hopefully as I gain a little experience I'll be able to start repaying all the kindness that's been shown to me, perhaps to the next generation of boaters.

The OP needs to learn a little patience then he/ she might realise that people are not obliged to help, but they do, free of charge. How can you criticise that?

I am gobsmacked at the "I demand (free) information" attitude. In all the forums I have used over the years, it is the first time I have known somebody to berate members for not knowing an answer to a question. Still "It takes all kinds" as me old mum used to say.

I'm 26....? :(

Those rosettes are nice:

Rosettes.jpg

Any idea what they meant for originally? Horse tack perhaps

Richard

I think that these are embellishments for Zena Warrior Princess's costume. (What there is of it!)

N

I am gobsmacked at the "I demand (free) information" attitude. In all the forums I have used over the years, it is the first time I have known somebody to berate members for not knowing an answer to a question. Still "It takes all kinds" as me old mum used to say.

I think he thought others were taking the pee about the embelisher thing. Must admit, I've seen them on boats, but didnt realise they actually were bedknobs or curtain pole ends.

I am new here too and I had no idea what you were asking. Then after reading the replies I realized (I think) that what you wanted was one of those decorator tiller pins that look like animals or trees or whatever, etc. etc. Is that what you meant?

I don't even know what an eberspacher is and it doesn't seem to be anything having to do with tiller pins, some sort of heater for diesel engines???help.gif

I am not trying to offend (and believe me I have met my share of A$$es on various forums who seem to have smart answers to questions) but if you think you know your stuff and call a tiller pin a "rudder bolt embellisher", then you probably had it coming from someone who also knows his stuff but still had no idea what you were asking so just wanted to give you a stupid answer for what they thought was a less than accurate question.

Don't let the answer get to you. Think of it as a learning curve construction.gif

Thanks for that Nick personally, I can't imagine why anyone would want something in such an out of the way spot and on a utilitarian connection.

Thanks for that. Not to my taste I am afraid but at least I now know what they look like.

Oh my, is that what he meant? I rather like that. Can you get them in clear glass and put a little light in them? They do look like curtain rod finials. Funny. I learned something new. The picture isn't here, not sure why.

Edited by Gingerbeer

I think he thought others were taking the pee about the embelisher thing. Must admit, I've seen them on boats, but didnt realise they actually were bedknobs or curtain pole ends.

Quite fancy a small skull on our tiller nut and tiller pin when I build my assault craft.

I didn't know that either. A pity the person in question took this attitude, as there is a lot of information available here. I am not aware of any more pee taking here than on any other forum that I use.

Oh my, is that what he meant? I rather like that. Can you get them in clear glass and put a little light in them? They do look like curtain rod finials. Funny. I learned something new. The picture isn't here, not sure why.

Well, if that's what you want, I would use a glass door knob:

$T2eC16N,!)0E9s37E29dBSDVFNSzTg~~60_12.J

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Glass-Internal-Door-Knobs-/221268543929

You should get some interesting light effects from a LED at the base

Richard