Shame about this site!!!!!!!! Shame on you

POCO

Featured Posts

I'm getting into this heritage stuff. In wilkinsons the other day, I saw these half moon rubber feet things with self adhesive backs. £1.40 for 10. Bought 10 packs, stuck them around the bow and stern, painted them for effect. Brilliant, looked like a hudson (I like hudsons).

P*ssed with rain last night, they've all fallen off :-(

Lol, can't fault you. Unlike Poco.

Well - I will always refer to them from now on as "Pocoknobs"

Well - I will always refer to them from now on as "Pocoknobs"

instead of CWDF window stickers cant we all fit ''Pocoknobs'' as a means of identifying fellow members?

Lol, I just love this forum

What, pray, would boaters thus equipped call themselves? Pocoknobheads?

I can see a downside to Mr. Bastion's idea.

That would be confusing - the Poco would be redundant in that word, unless it was adopted to describe one who has elevated knobheadedness to a whole new level.

I'm getting into this heritage stuff. In wilkinsons the other day, I saw these half moon rubber feet things with self adhesive backs. £1.40 for 10. Bought 10 packs, stuck them around the bow and stern, painted them for effect. Brilliant, looked like a hudson (I like hudsons).

P*ssed with rain last night, they've all fallen off :-(

Why are you trying to turn your boat into a ladybird?
I've even seen some boats that have tried to turn their roof mushrooms into Hudsons.
Thanks to this Poco "tit" (other tits are available), throwing his toys out of the pram, this thread has been quite entertaining. clapping.gif
Rob....

Have you never heard a silly or mad person described as "barmy"? A barmpot is what you keep the barm in! I heard the word as a boy in Sheffield but for some reason I suspect that it's originally from the wrong side of the Pennines.

Edit: there's my answer function being random again. This time, instead ofptinting my text very small, it's italicised it. Yet I did not press the italic button. Why should this happen?

Edited by Athy

Have you never heard a silly or mad person described as "barmy"? A barmpot is what you keep the barm in! I heard the word as a boy in Sheffield but for some reason I suspect that it's originally from the wrong side of the Pennines.

Edit: there's my answer function being random again. This time, instead ofptinting my text very small, it's italicised it. Yet I did not press the italic button. Why should this happen?

You suspect wrongly; it is a Lancashire expression...

Wrongly? But's that's what I said.wink.png

How could you tell? Did he have an interpreter with him?

Not sure where it originates to be honest, but is used frequently in Lancs., probably because we are mainly barmpots.

Wrongly? But's that's what I said.wink.png

How could you tell? Did he have an interpreter with him?

Don't think he could afford one, he was a minicab driver. He once called me out when he broke down on the A13 a very very busy road in east London right in the middle of a complicated roadworks which made it very difficult for me to get my L/Rover alongside to work on his car, so I rearranged all the traffic diversion cones and signs to make a chicane around the breakdown scene to make it safer, which worked well, hence big Dougie called me actually, a f-----g balmpot.

Ah yes - heard barmy before but never barmpot. Coming from Essex I suspect I'm way too southern - one of the joys of travelling the country on our boat is encountering expressions we've never come across before. For example I'd never heard of a barm until we spent a winter in Lancashire and found out it was a form of bread roll, the same for cob in the Coventry area. Also alleyways - I think ginnel is my favourite, but snicket is a close second.

Every new word I learn fills me with glee :D

Don't think he could afford one, he was a minicab driver. He once called me out when he broke down on the A13 a very very busy road in east London right in the middle of a complicated roadworks which made it very difficult for me to get my L/Rover alongside to work on his car, so I rearranged all the traffic diversion cones and signs to make a chicane around the breakdown scene to make it safer, which worked well, hence big Dougie called me actually, a f-----g balmpot.

:clapping: coming from Sarfend I know the A13 very well and I love your improvisational skills Mr Bizz

Ah yes - heard barmy before but never barmpot. Coming from Essex I suspect I'm way too southern - one of the joys of travelling the country on our boat is encountering expressions we've never come across before. For example I'd never heard of a barm until we spent a winter in Lancashire and found out it was a form of bread roll, the same for cob in the Coventry area. Also alleyways - I think ginnel is my favourite, but snicket is a close second.

Every new word I learn fills me with glee biggrin.png

clapping.gif coming from Sarfend I know the A13 very well and I love your improvisational skills Mr Bizz

In Sussex the word twitten is used for alley.

. Also alleyways - I think ginnel is my favourite, but snicket is a close second.

Every new word I learn fills me with glee biggrin.png

More specifically, an alley or footpath which connects two streets, usually passing between houses and their gardens.

In Sheffield it is a gennle (spelling uncertain, I only ever heard people say it when I lived there, not seen it written down). I assume this to be a corruption of "general" as in general right of way. The G is pronounced soft; further up Yorkshire I think it's pronounced hard, as in your example.

In the North East it's apparently an entry (what about the exit, then?)

In Hertford it's a twitchel.

In Sussex it's a twittern.

Somewhere I can't remember it's a snickle (derived perhaps from people sneaking through it).

In Bedfordshire it's a slipe. This word has travelled. There is a Slipe Road in Kingston, Jamaica.

I hope there's a bit of glee there for you.

Edited by Athy