Poor Swan :(

leeco

Featured Posts

Interesting - probably a vegan. I knew a vegan who objected to honey as it exploited bees.

Ah ignorance, a wonderful thing for basing idiot conclusions on.

If you see a honeybee, apis mellifera, it is a kept bee. The relationship between beekeeper and colony is not exploitative it is symbiotic.

That's not a clever or intelligent analogy.

Has a potato a central nervous system, conciousness or ability to feel emotions?

Now I do not decry anyone's personal choice and think that murder is a very inappropriate adjective to use re persons who choose to eat meat but you have to do better than that "schoolboy at best" attempt to provide a supportive contrary position.

http://www.viewzone.com/plants.html

Ah ignorance, a wonderful thing for basing idiot conclusions on.

If you see a honeybee, apis mellifera, it is a kept bee. The relationship between beekeeper and colony is not exploitative it is symbiotic.

lol it made me snigger.

Not quite correct there are feral bees which manage without any help from man. Admittedly few and far between since man brought along Varroa destructa.

That's not a clever or intelligent analogy.

It wasn't meant to be!

BTW I used to be a vegetarian but like many of us failed veggies, bacon did it in the end.

The real test is would you eat an animal if you had to kill it and prepare it yourself? I'll be honest and say I couldn't.

An impeccable source - for nut cases.

It wasn't meant to be!

BTW I used to be a vegetarian but like many of us failed veggies, bacon did it in the end.

The real test is would you eat an animal if you had to kill it and prepare it yourself? I'll be honest and say I couldn't.

Funny my missus started eating flesh and bacon was I think the tempter in the end! (I seem to have an adverse reaction to the smell of cooking bacon - I hate the smell).

One of my colleagues gave me a great logical response to finding out I do not eat flesh, he said

"if it was not for me and your ancestors who killed and eat meat, you would not be here........" wink.png pretty good!

Edited by mark99

An impeccable source - for nut cases.

Funny my missus started eating flesh and bacon was I think the tempter in the end! (I seem to have an adverse reaction to the smell of cooking bacon - I hate the smell).

One of my colleagues gave me a great logical response to finding out I do not eat flesh, he said

"if it was not for me and your ancestors who killed and eat meat, you would not be here........" wink.png

But not nut cutlets

Exact same temptation for me!

Why bacon?! I have no idea. By the time I had been veggie for a few years, it was less about health and animal welfare and more the ick factor of eating dead flesh.

But I still fell for the wily siren charms of bacon in the end...

Interesting - probably a vegan. I knew a vegan who objected to honey as it exploited bees.

From the CAMRA website

"The key ingredient that determines whether a beer is vegetarian/vegan or not is finings. Finings are used to clarify beer, by pulling yeast sediment to the bottom of the cask. These are usually made from isinglass, an extract from the swim bladder of the sturgeon fish. Although the finings drop to the bottom of the cask with the yeast and are not consumed, the use of an animal product to produce the beer is objected to by strict vegetarians and vegans.

Some brewers don't fine their beer, but this means the beer needs longer to settle before serving in the pub and still turns out hazy or even cloudy in the glass. Others use finings made from seaweed, but this is mostly confined to bottled beer usage."

Very interesting, cheers, I do like my real ale LOL

it could indeed be so , but in the instance that I remarked upon, it was just the fact that he was too tight to buy meat for his xmas dinner, adn he wernt even from Yorkshire like moi wink.png he was a brummie.

Why is it better to eat a factory-reared animal than a wild one?

It wasn't meant to be!

The real test is would you eat an animal if you had to kill it and prepare it yourself? I'll be honest and say I couldn't.............. opps ! half of my post has ended here and other bit down there maybe its because I see myself as a bit of an animal, and Yes I would. I only fish if I can eat my catch and if I had to dispatch my own food ie meat then I would and try and make sure that it had a good life and I would kill it as quickly as possible.

continued.from up there

A few years ago a group of my friends were discussing, that say hypothetically if we were all in a plane crash,in some remote part of the world and soem of us died and some of us had to chose to eat our now dead friends .. would we do it? and out of a group of 12 only 2 including moi. said Yes.. but then I personally am a survivor kind of person. It could all be about your faith, beliefs of up bringing ..and the freedom of choice at the end of the day. Human's may have the upper hand ..)not always) on this beautiful planet of ours by learning to ulitilse weapons more quickly and effectively than any other species here, but we are still basically animals imo.

Why is it better to eat a factory-reared animal than a wild one?

I never said or implied that it was. The chap could have bought his meat from a local farm source and not a supermarket if he so wished. I knew this chap personally and it wasnt as if he was hard up or skint........ Not in my mind it isnt, and over the years I have tried to spend my hard earned money wisely by buying organic meat, Not always easy as it depended on how much money I had as a working lone parent with 4 saplings to support and provide for.

continued.from up there

A few years ago a group of my friends were discussing, that say hypothetically if we were all in a plane crash,in some remote part of the world and soem of us died and some of us had to chose to eat our now dead friends .. would we do it? and out of a group of 12 only 2 including moi. said Yes.. but then I personally am a survivor kind of person. It could all be about your faith, beliefs of up bringing ..and the freedom of choice at the end of the day. Human's may have the upper hand ..)not always) on this beautiful planet of ours by learning to ulitilse weapons more quickly and effectively than any other species here, but we are still basically animals imo.

I never said or implied that it was. The chap could have bought his meat from a local farm source and not a supermarket if he so wished. I knew this chap personally and it wasnt as if he was hard up or skint........ Not in my mind it isnt, and over the years I have tried to spend my hard earned money wisely by buying organic meat, Not always easy as it depended on how much money I had as a working lone parent with 4 saplings to support and provide for.

Actually you do have a point. It does boil down to a battle between the heart and mind in the end.

Are Canada geese the ones with the black and while head/neck?

Providing the body is a sort of beige/brown yes. Canada an introduced species (apart from about half a dozen reports a year of actual Canada based geese) is resident. There are two other species of geese with black necks and white round the head/lower neck. The Brent already mentioned and the barnacle goose. Both these are much smaller not as wide spread and winter visitors.

I trust that is because you are a vegan rather than a lactovegetarian otherwise it is in my opinion a bit hypocritical.

No hypocrisy here, I don't eat meat because 30 years ago I nearly died from food poisoning after eating uncooked coq au vin, its self presevation rather than some belief.

OH and if I had to to survive I would be quite capable of killing, butchering, cooking and eating just about anything.

Talking of which anybody ever eaten rat? Its an interesting meat.

No hypocrisy here, I don't eat meat because 30 years ago I nearly died from food poisoning after eating uncooked coq au vin, its self presevation rather than some belief.

OH and if I had to to survive I would be quite capable of killing, butchering, cooking and eating just about anything.

Thanks for explaining. I just find lactovegetarians who consider meat murder conveniently ignore the animal mortality to provide the dairy and in many cases eggs that they happily eat.

No I have never had the chance of rat. I have however killed and eaten animals.

I never said or implied that it was. The chap could have bought his meat from a local farm source and not a supermarket if he so wished.

I can afford to buy blackberries from a fruit farm.

Is it wrong for me to pick wild blackberries and make a pie with them?

I spent time in hospital after eating a salad with a botulism dressing so now I only eat salad that has been tested for me by a herbivore.

I have ate rat on several occasions in Africa and it was very much like scrawny squirrel (which is a lot like scrawny rabbit).

I have also ate Swan (not in this country so no fear of swinging from the treason gibbet) and it was very much like Ostrich but a bit tougher