Stoke Bruerne Visitor Moorings

Leo No2

Featured Posts

The reaction to the signs by the long term moorers at Thrupp was interesting. They had also noticed that the signs imply you can moor for 28 days at Thrupp if you bridge across the end and beginning of a month

Richard

We came through Foxton yesterday and I must say the new signs make the place look really tacky, I hope that was the intention.

Anyway what I found interesting was that on the 2 days free mooring below the locks there were 4 (yes four) CRT work boats moored, taking up something like half the 2 day space, which was full. So this was late Saturday afternoon, and of course I don't know when they were moored there, but at a guess you would say Friday afternoon, and that they will be there until Monday morning, so by my reckoning that is £100 of mooring charges that is owed. I do hope we can have the assurances of the CRT managers on here that the stuff responsible will be personally paying the charges, and that you will chase them through the courts if needed as you want to do with you customers.

Anyway what I found interesting was that on the 2 days free mooring below the locks there were 4 (yes four) CRT work boats moored, taking up something like half the 2 day space, which was full.

No its all a cunning plan (or should I call that a Baldrick) fill up the available space so you can show there is a need for charges.

Just back from a lovely weekend on the Thames (Shepperton to Boveney and back) with Byfleet Boat Club. Now back to business.

Space tonight for 6 x 60' and 5 x 70'. sueb - Understand your concern about more signage (having been on the Wey for years I know what the 'heritage' view of signage is) but I felt that a simple map - perhaps sponsored by the businesses in the village (Topiary, Canal Museum, Spice of Bruerne, Navigation and last (but not least) the Boat Inn) may really help. The maximum number of two 'trade' boats are here as well!

Anyway the graph now looks like this (I have put in a figure of 73% for the days I wasn't here until such time as someone (Jenlyn?) can provide the actual figures.

Updated with Jenlyn's figures (see post below).

Edit - Removed graph

Edited by Leo No2

As the peak of the summer is perhaps (sadly) now over is there any benefit in continuing this work beyond 31-August or is the general opinion that the point has been proved beyond reasonable doubt that the Stoke Bruerne visitor moorings between the Museum Green and the tunnel have only been full only on one day and that they have generally only been about 70-75% full.

I am happy to continue taking a walk in the evenings but I see little point in recording the information, which I think CRT should be doing (and should know), just for the sake of it.

As the peak of the summer is perhaps (sadly) now over is there any benefit in continuing this work beyond 31-August or is the general opinion that the point has been proved beyond reasonable doubt that the Stoke Bruerne visitor moorings between the Museum Green and the tunnel have only been full only on one day and that they have generally only been about 70-75% full.

I am happy to continue taking a walk in the evenings but I see little point in recording the information, which I think CRT should be doing (and should know), just for the sake of it.

Kathryn Thanks for a sterling job, if you are happy to continue and you walk that way a few times a week can I suggest maybe a Wednesday and a Saturday figure might be useful for a few more weeks.

Well I am flabbergasted - there's only three boats (a 60' and 2 x 45') in the mooring area between the Museum Green and the tunnel. The 60' is a Napton hire boat and talking to the two ladies who were sitting on the back deck they said that they had been here less than 10 mins this afternoon before they were asked by a CRT person how long they were staying!

This is going to kill local business - there's six people outside the Boat Inn and two outside the Spice of Bruerne.

I'll publish this daily until Friday (31-August) and then perhaps weekly during September.

I've had to adjust the scale on the graph!!

Edit - Graph removed

Edited by Leo No2

I have to say that if someone from cart asks me how long I am staying when I have only been there 10mins they will be told to go away and do something useful.

We will be there overnight on the 12th and 17th on our way to and from a club do so lets see.

ETA may have to rethink that cos the village at war looks like it could be Blisworth / Grafton instead

Edited by Loddon

Well I am flabbergasted - there's only three boats (a 60' and 2 x 45') in the mooring area between the Museum Green and the tunnel. The 60' is a Napton hire boat and talking to the two ladies who were sitting on the back deck they said that they had been here less than 10 mins this afternoon before they were asked by a CRT person how long they were staying!

This is going to kill local business - there's six people outside the Boat Inn and two outside the Spice of Bruerne.

I'll publish this daily until Friday (31-August) and then perhaps weekly during September.

I've had to adjust the scale on the graph!!

SBVM.jpg

This is exactly the information that CRT should have produced to support the changes please keep it up.

Why not install ticket machines on Visitor moorings. Enter boat registration number, display ticket on boat, valid for 24 hours. Volunteer wardens just need to check tickets. If no ticket is displayed fine is logged. I do know that CRT is not at present allowed to issue fines/penalties, but I am sure that the day is not far off when they or an agency on their behalf will.

Sorry just picked up on this thread. Going back to the original thread, if C&RT are not imposing a penalty but are providing a mooring service, does this mean that the Stoke Bruene moorings are a business and subject to business rates? Would C&RT need planning permission to turn standard 14 day moorings into an online marina - albeit that the first 2 days are free.

Edited by Auntyfab

We are ourselves in Stoke Bruerne tonight, having come through the tunnel just as night was falling.

I have never, ever, seen these moorings so deserted in August.

"The Boat" is all but dead - there are a small number of customers at "Spice of Bruerne", but it is very quiet.

I can't see why the signs should be causing fewer people to actually stop here than in the past, and am certainly not claiming that they are the reason, but on tonight's evidence the place is very different from what I would have expected.

I personally thing the massively cluttered (and very large!) "Welcome to Stoke Bruerne" signs are a complete waste of space. You certainly can read almost nothing on them, as you boat past, (other than "Welcome to Stoke Bruerne", of course!), and I can't seriously imagine anybody going back later on foot to see what they say.