Narrow Boat And Rower In Collision On Thames

rubblequeen

Featured Posts

The rowers have no proper knowledge of river conditions or procedures upon it.

I have overtaken a boat with a team of rowers before..gave them a wide birth..and gave them a couple of toots on the horn to let them know I was maneuvering to port...as welll as indicating with my arm...and then I got abuse..

"How dare you blow your horn at us " !!...

While going down through the meadow at Oxford..they had put bouys down the river to isolate the rowers from the through traffic..about two thirds for the rowers and a little narrow lane for us..but they just considered that as being the race area...and the 'through traffic' lane was for them to practice.

I had a plastic large cruiser in front of me....and suddenly a skiff shot clean across the bows of the cruiser....driving him straight down a narrow tree covered channel with the result his passengers were knocked into the water by the branches.

Another skiff then did the same across my bows and the hoorays on the bank yelled to me....'you're going to hit him' as if I could stop on a bloody sixpence !!. I didn't...he had to row a lot faster !!

They have no idea...no manners...no consideration.

Treat them as a bunch of idiots and you won't be far wrong !

on the Bridgewater....when passing canoeists...they never put their oars up (like in the Queens float past), but keep the darn things out on both sides.......taking up 3/4 of all available space. They really are like mosquitos...I dont like em...lol

on the Bridgewater....when passing canoeists...they never put their oars up (like in the Queens float past), but keep the darn things out on both sides.......taking up 3/4 of all available space. They really are like mosquitos...I dont like em...lol

Same problem on same canal. One dick in a skiff expected me to go into a six inch depth of water so he could get by. He was quite surprised when I explained that our boat had about 30 inches underwater. To be fair some of them are OK.

Same problem on same canal. One dick in a skiff expected me to go into a six inch depth of water so he could get by. He was quite surprised when I explained that our boat had about 30 inches underwater. To be fair some of them are OK.

To be fair most of them are ok. One year we came across the Lincoln to Boston rowing race. 200 odd boats with varying crew sizes and varying skill levels. We had no problems at all with them and had quite a laugh with the majority of them.

There are a few rowing and canoe clubs where we are based so we meet them pretty much every week without incident.

To be fair most of them are ok. One year we came across the Lincoln to Boston rowing race. 200 odd boats with varying crew sizes and varying skill levels. We had no problems at all with them and had quite a laugh with the majority of them.

There are a few rowing and canoe clubs where we are based so we meet them pretty much every week without incident.

Actually I must agree with you that most are OK. I find that most people in most boats are OK, but often tend to remember the idiots

I have noticed a new breed of narrowboat owners of late, who are particularly arsey, but again most are OK.

Edited by Guest

However the simplest explanation is not always the correct one.

Quite so. I am sure we will see this wonderful document in due course and that it will have been worth the wait.

Just like the lemon scented napkins will arrive eventually

It's worth doing the thames around the end of september. Collecting kindling for winter ;-)

That was my comment on the Avon in Stratford a couple of years ago as we dodged dozens on rowing boats going all over the place "firewood anyone". Trouble is I think most rowing boats are probably made of plastic planking these days, so probably not so satisfying to hit (joke).

Actually I must agree with you that most are OK. I find that most people in most boats are OK, but often tend to remember the idiots

I have noticed a new breed of narrowboat owners of late, who are particularly arsey, but again most are OK.

I agree!

And a lot of them seem to be here.

I agree!

And a lot of them seem to be here.

How many narrowboaters post on the Sealine forum though.

We'd be in the minority on there just as much as you are the minority on here.

As it happens our pair will be going on to the Thames from Brentford tomorrow. An ideal opportunity for someone to join us, take the tiller and demonstrate just how manouverable they are, show use this rapid ferry gliding, dodging around skiffs etc. etc.

They are carrying 36 tons so probably weigh around 60 - I'm sure experience of handling a light glass fibre cruiser will be all you need.

• Greenie 2

Out of interest, the power gives way thing. I think the wording is "vessels propelled by machinery". I was told in my sailing days that rowing is propulsion by machinery, very simple and man powered but machinery none the less. The point is that a sailing vessel has a limited range of options to steer, it is not possible for instance to steer closer to the wind than usually about 40 degrees. A vessel propelled by machinery, including oars, on the other hand can steer any course independent of wind. The rowing boat is the more nimble craft more capable of rapid manoeuvre and should therefore give way to craft less able to manoeuvre.

I regularly mix it with the rowers on the Avon, between Bath and Saltford. I keep a steady course close to the right bank, and they row around me. I do keep an eye out in case one gets in a spot of bother, and if we are on a collision course I slow down. A short hoot with the horn alerts any rower who has got of course.

I'm surprised Phylis did not catch more Makerel. Perhaps the wrong bait?

Occam's Razor springs to mind....

MtB

Is it just me that had to Google this? Cheers Mike - learning new stuff is always a pleasure. Even if I'll probably forget it tomorrow :D

Carl - who's piccie is it your avatar - me & Dave have just done loads of googling but can't suss it out! Put us out of our misery please.

Just to show the point of view of a coxswain steering a rowing boat, here's a video I took with a camera on a headband of a race. If anything the camera has a slightly better view forwards than I do, because it's on the right hand side of my head.

http://youtu.be/3omHVtXAJzQ

Racing starts 2:15 in, and ends at about 10:00.

I'm looking downwards occasionally because I've got a speedometer and a display that shows the number of strokes a minute mounted near my feet.

As this is a race and there's a navigation restriction in force, I can take the racing line and steer the boat around the inside of the corners.

How many narrowboaters post on the Sealine forum though.

We'd be in the minority on there just as much as you are the minority on here.

Oh dear, there seems to be a lot of the old macho stuff happening on this thread with "My boat weighs 20 tons" and "My boat weighs 36 tons" etc etc. Something people are losing sight of is the fact that Phylis is on this forum because she loves boating, exactly as I did when I joined and had a GRP cruiser.

However having come over to the dark side I have to say that on balance my 60 footer is easier to handle than my 40 ft GRP cruiser.

It has to be remembered that all boats have different handling characteristics depending on the material of their construction, hull form etc etc and all boats have their own idiosyncrasys so I feel it is wrong to have a pop at someone whose boat does not fit your norm.

Remember we all love boating.

Phil

• Greenie 1

Is it just me that had to Google this? Cheers Mike - learning new stuff is always a pleasure. Even if I'll probably forget it tomorrow biggrin.png

Carl - who's piccie is it your avatar - me & Dave have just done loads of googling but can't suss it out! Put us out of our misery please.

clue - C A