A Specific Birmingham Mooring Question

Mac of Cygnet

Featured Posts

I'm heading into the city by the Birmingham & Fazely with the intention of re-creating our very first canal holiday of nearly 30 years ago (I haven't been back since). Is there any recommended mooring between the Aston and Farmer's Bridge flights in case I don't want to do the both in one day singlehanded? (I have done a search, honest!)

We did this last year and didn't feel comfortable mooring in between- Someone told us we could but we didn't find anywhere that we wanted to. It is a long slog to do both- but I think worth it- and justifies a very nice dinner out at the end of it. It is a shame because the centre of Birmingham is lovely and has been regenerated well- but the good work needs to extend a little out of the centre

Seconded. There's only a couple of hundred yards between the two flights and I wouldn't recommend overnighting there. At the top is Cambrian Wharf and at the bottom is Cuckoo Wharf. Both flights can easily be done before lunch, even if single handing. Then have a good rest.

Perhaps Jimbo (in the Crew section) could organise his week and come and join you for the day?

We stopped at Cuckoo Wharf a couple of months back .... not really much in the way of mooring although you can breast up to the rusty BW hulk. There is a VM at the very end just past the water points and we used that and (we were travelling with friends) the last water point. But it was very quiet - not a boat passed us all afternoon and evening.

(edited to add the bit about Cuckoo Wharf)

Edited by Jo_

I did exactly this trip on Friday (from the Dog & Doublet to Cambrian Wharf).

My timings were as follows:- whole journey - 7 hours 50 mins; from Salford junction to Cambrian - 4 hours 10 mins.

I had a crew of two but I have limited mobility myself so call it a total of two and a half.

We encountered some low pounds, especially on the Aston flight and had to let water down. Having said this, it was nonetheless a much easier trip than my first (also about 30 years ago).

Although we could have started much closer than the Dog & Doublet, I saw nowhere on or between the two flights where I would be prepared to moor. I am not a nervous or particularly wary boater.

I would not stop anywhere there. We will be doing this is a couple of weeks in the other direction and will go from Old Turn to the Dog and Doublet in one hop. The locks are close together and you can work them efficiently. As has been said there is always Cuckoo Wharf at the bottom of Aston, so you could come in as far as there from the Curdworth area the day before.

Once past the road bridge beyond Aston junction there is nowhere you would want to stop until the top, however there are visitor moorings back towards Ashtead from the junction. We reversed the 50 yds or so to stop at the visitor moorings for lunch. Its beside Aston Science Park, part of the University. It was very quiet, however I wouldn't want to spend the night there really. Almost certainly you would be fine, but if not there is no "safety in numbers". Aston and Farmers Bridge are both fairly slick flights and it takes less time than you might think to complete the flights.

We have happily over nighted at the science park on several occasions . I would be very surprised if you found yourself alone there particularly at this time of year.you can also wind there so no need to back though backing on relatively wide canal with little traffic not a problem.

We have never left boat there. Not quite sure where in Birmingham are when there and wouldn't fancy walking up farmers bridge in dark so stayed on board.

Locks not difficult though can be issues with low water levels and some debris. Enjoy. Wonderful way to enter the city.great mix of the 200year old and the new.

Can't remember about the 2 fights as if we are doing farmers bridge we are usually heading to Knowle on the Grand Union rather than the other way.

A good overnight spot we have used a few times is on the offside outside star city. There is a propermooring pontoon there and they now have a gate so you can go in for supper if you like.

This would break the journey from the Dog and Doublet giving you more time to do the 2 lock flights in one day at a leisurely pace.

Sue

Can't remember about the 2 fights as if we are doing farmers bridge we are usually heading to Knowle on the Grand Union rather than the other way.

A good overnight spot we have used a few times is on the offside outside star city. There is a propermooring pontoon there and they now have a gate so you can go in for supper if you like.

This would break the journey from the Dog and Doublet giving you more time to do the 2 lock flights in one day at a leisurely pace.

Sue

Yep Star City is fine to moor, but Star City its self it quite down market theses days. Star City would give an alternative to Cuckoo Wharf to break the journey, but with Start City you would go Garrison/Ashted/Farmer Bridge, rather than Aston/Farmers Bridge.

We did the Garrison/Ashtead route from the B&F last year as the Aston flight was closed.

We moored on the Digbeth Branch canal in Aston, by the Science Park. No problems there and the area seems to be well covered by CCTV.

Thanks for all the replies. There have been several mentions of the Dog & Doublet. I presume this is the pub at Bodymoor Heath. If so, then I'm already past there, at Curdworth. The boat next to me is going my way, and we plan to moor at Cuckoo Wharf tomorrow, and do the two flights next day. It's really doing lots of locks in the heat of the day that bothers me, but if I can set off early it shouldn't be too bad. There doesn't seem to be much at Cuckoo wharf, does there? ie a pub. Never mind, I got a good supply of local beers in at Stone.

Thanks for all the replies. There have been several mentions of the Dog & Doublet. I presume this is the pub at Bodymoor Heath. If so, then I'm already past there, at Curdworth. The boat next to me is going my way, and we plan to moor at Cuckoo Wharf tomorrow, and do the two flights next day. It's really doing lots of locks in the heat of the day that bothers me, but if I can set off early it shouldn't be too bad. There doesn't seem to be much at Cuckoo wharf, does there? ie a pub. Never mind, I got a good supply of local beers in at Stone.

There is a pub about 50yds from the wharf, on the main road, however I don't know that its still open. And looks like you might need a bodyguard! Anyway, iPad says its going to cool to 24 degrees for Wednesday.

Star City was ok for an overnight last summer, food outlets not up to much though.

There are theoretically safe moorings at the Science Park, as other have noted, but last summer the Grafitti Index was too high for our liking. We did Star City - Garrison - Ashted - Farmers Bridge in a day. And Farmers Bridge - Aston Locks - Perry Bar the next, although I didn't mention that plan to the crew until we were safely moored outside the NIA ;)

Cuckoo Wharf looked a bit dismal, Perry Bar top lock was very quiet.

Andrew

Once past the road bridge beyond Aston junction there is nowhere you would want to stop until the top, however there are visitor moorings back towards Ashtead from the junction. We reversed the 50 yds or so to stop at the visitor moorings for lunch. Its beside Aston Science Park, part of the University. It was very quiet,

We have stopped there a few times over the years, but not been that way for about 4 now. It was covered by CCTV if it makes you feel better.

Well Cuckoo Wharf isn't nearly as grim as I expected, if you get it at just the right angle:

sPPTLsB.jpg

And across the road (once you've made it safely over) is quite a nice park, with a large lake, giving a unique view of Spaghetti Junction, part of our architectural heritage:

DCVP1WR.jpg

Edited to say that the (very large) pub across the road is indeed open, but I had a look in, and I don't think they stock anything I would want to drink, so it's a night off cask beer sampling duties.

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

Just to balance it out. I moored my boat just after Aston Road Bridge for two days and nights at the end of April and went out to work during the day. No problems at all, I did half expect the boat to be untied each evening, but, no. The worst thing was the A38 traffic from about 5AM though.

There are a few drunks I've regularly seen a bit further up, although they look intimidating they haven't caused me any harm.

I'd expect there to be more antics further up.

I'm moored in Sherborne. Be good to meet some more fellow boaters

Rob

Well. I could have left this a bit late, but here we are at the end of the Stourport Arm, wondering where we might moor over the next few nights as we head through Birmingham.

So! Our plan was to head for the Dudley Tunnel (just for the crack), then New Line (?) to Gas Street. Then Aston, Spaghetti Junction, and Fazeley.

Where would people aim for for stress-free mooring?

Before Delph, cant remember. After Delph, there is the Merry Hill complex which is safe if a little bright and noisy. Never stayed at Dudley tunnel S end but suspect its fine, though of course you have to do 3 locks extra each way. Then there is windmill end at the junction at Netherton tunnel S end. After that, there isn't anywhere you'd want to stop on the main line until the centre, however if you go up onto the old line there are visitor moorings at the end of the Engine arm by Smethwick locks. Centre to Fazeley has been covered in this thread, except to say that once you pass cuckoo wharf, the next stopping point is just beyond Minworth. After that you can stop anywhere. We often stop about 200 yds before Curdworth top lock rather than at the Curdworth visitor moorings - even though its close to the M6 toll feeder road, is very quiet (because no-one coughs up for the toll at night!). Once you get into the Curdworth flight, it looks very pleasant but there is a lot of noise from the M42. It starts to fade in the pound above Dog n Doublet, but the hotel there often has rowdy wedding parties into the night at weekends so best avoided. Very nice moorings at Curdworth bottom lock, and anywhere after that is fine.

Edited by nicknorman

Seeing as you are currently sitting at Cuckoo Wharf, what's it lilke if you have dogs? My reason for asking is that we are taking the pair up late September and we have a few furry friends on board.

Mike

We stopped there when we had mutts. Just cross the road to the park for a walk, room to we around the moorings