Fenny Stratford Lock

monkeyhanger

Featured Posts

I passed through this lock yesterday afternoon. Just in case you're not familiar with it, this is the one on the southern GU with the one foot water level difference and the swingbridge across the middle of the lock.

I'd opened the top gate and swung the bridge out of the way, and was manoeuvering my boat towards the open gate when a man and two young children appeared (out of the pub by the lockside, I think), and proceeded to swing the footbridge back across the lock. I had to do a bit of sharp reversing, and gave a toot on my horn to alert my wife who was waiting by the top gates watching me enter and ready to close up after I'd gone in.

As he was crossing the footbridge, the guy then rounded on my wife saying" you lot think the world revolves around your boats" My wife replied that she hadn't actually said anything to him, and that he was the one being aggressive to her. After letting fly with another mouthful, he and his kids walked into, what I assume is his home, the Lock Cottage!

I find it staggering that someone with such an apparent dislike of canal boats and boaters should choose to live with his front door three steps from the canal edge.

Has anyone else encountered this individual, or was this just my lucky day?

We witnessed something similar a few weeks back at Newbury/West Mills on the K&A.

There are a small number of houses/flats on a small island formed by the waterway and the river Kennet and served by a swing bridge..

A woman was operating the bridge ready for her husband to bring the boat through when a resident became very angry, and I believe assaulted the woman (I am not sure if she stumbled or if she was pushed). He was ranting and screaming "I know about people like you" and claiming it was his bridge (bet he's glad he does not have to pay to maintain it).

Why oh why do people who so hate boats and boaters choose to live right next to a waterway??????

...........Dave

I passed through this lock yesterday afternoon. Just in case you're not familiar with it, this is the one on the southern GU with the one foot water level difference and the swingbridge across the middle of the lock.

I'd opened the top gate and swung the bridge out of the way, and was manoeuvering my boat towards the open gate when a man and two young children appeared (out of the pub by the lockside, I think), and proceeded to swing the footbridge back across the lock. I had to do a bit of sharp reversing, and gave a toot on my horn to alert my wife who was waiting by the top gates watching me enter and ready to close up after I'd gone in.

As he was crossing the footbridge, the guy then rounded on my wife saying" you lot think the world revolves around your boats" My wife replied that she hadn't actually said anything to him, and that he was the one being aggressive to her. After letting fly with another mouthful, he and his kids walked into, what I assume is his home, the Lock Cottage!

I find it staggering that someone with such an apparent dislike of canal boats and boaters should choose to live with his front door three steps from the canal edge.

Has anyone else encountered this individual, or was this just my lucky day?

If he used offensive language, you should have reported him to the police. If you don't, he will continue to do so. They may well not have done anything about it, but if they keep getting complaints about the same man at the same location, the odds are they will have a word. And if he is not reported then I guarantee they will do nothing.

• Greenie 1

i have never seen a vehicle parked the lock cottage side, so why the bridge has to be left closed is a mystery to me, probably an access issue. Tell the twonk in question that if he pisses off boaters then we won't close it at all, ever.

Sounds like the fishermen who complain about boats using the canal.

i have never seen a vehicle parked the lock cottage side, so why the bridge has to be left closed is a mystery to me, probably an access issue.

I don't think it has anything to do with vehicular access.

Allan ("Keeping Up"), has previously said it is because of pressure from local rambling groups, and the fact that wheelchair users may need to use it. (Honestly!).

We moor a boat just below this lock, (although it is not currently there), and I see this lock worked all day long sometimes if I am on the boat.

I have never seen any behaviour as described here.

I'm not sure if there are multiple cottages on the far side, but one seems to be occupied by a fairly elderly chap, who is usually friendly enough, I think.

Not sure why you have had trouble there today.

Had a minor issue at Cosgrove lock when a couple of walkers were a little put out by the fact I had opened gates to leave the lock which interrupted, according to them, a right of way over said gates. The polite mention that they could cross at the other set of gates was not gratefully received.

I lived in the area as a kid & have a look at the canal on family visits.

I think a number of cottages around there are holliday letts these days. My guess is the OP got a 'happy holliday' maker though there are a lot of pig igg folk 'round those parts these days.

taslim.

I think a number of cottages around there are holliday letts these days. My guess is the OP got a 'happy holliday' maker though there are a lot of pig igg folk 'round those parts these days.

Doubtful. I went through Fenny a couple of hours ago and got speaking to a guy outside the pub about the lock and bridge. He knew the dweller of the lock cottage by name.

shouldn't the swing bridge be left open as a rule ? if no one drives across it, and many boats use the lock, it seems commom sense to me.

Until about five years ago or so, the bridge was one of the few where navigation had right of way. After a campaign by locals BW changed it so now the bridge has to be left closed to navigation. Some locals are quite aggressive about this and swinging the bridge across the canal after it has been set for a boat is not uncommon.

Regards

Ditchdabbler

I used to curse the locking bolt on the bridge that needed a BWB key to undo it so the bridge could be swung open and have been grateful that the lock on the bolt has been missing of late.

However, perhaps the (bolt) lock should be restored and modified so that the bridge can be locked open and closed with a BWB key. That should stop anyone moving the bridge when there's a boat about to use the (canal) lock.

On the other hand, maybe it isn't boaters that disabled the (bolt) lock. Local residents (and other non-boaters) wouldn't do that. Would they?

Until about five years ago or so, the bridge was one of the few where navigation had right of way. After a campaign by locals BW changed it so now the bridge has to be left closed to navigation. Some locals are quite aggressive about this and swinging the bridge across the canal after it has been set for a boat is not uncommon.

Regards

Ditchdabbler

Swinging the bridge in the face of an approaching boat would IMO be endangering the safety of persons on the canal. On the railways this is a specific offence, which in the correct circumstances can carry up to life imprisonment. Is there an equivalent offence on the canals?

George ex nb Alton retired

• 1 year later...

My daughter and a couple of friends passed through this lock a couple of weeks ago, at 6.30 in the morning, They were moving the boat to Hemel Hempstead so early starts were needed to use the available daylight,

They were roundly verbally abused by one of the house dwellers by this lock, along the lines that they shouldn't be moving boats at that time of day. Apparently extremely industrial language too. They were quite shocked by the language and it spoiled the enjoyment of the rest of their day.

Last summer (2013), I had an "incident" with a guy who flew out of the pub, shouting and swearing at me about not closing the bridge. This was as I was still exiting the lock gates! He gave me another load of verbal and then swung the bridge shut with all his might!

At least it saved me the effort. There are kind and helpful people around those parts!

Right - I live near there and the red lion is my local. I know the owner of the old lock keepers cottage, the white one and he does not ever drive a vehicle over the bridge and as his is the only house on that side of the canal, no one else would. He and his missus are very nice people.

The owner of the Red Lion gets rather piissed off by people coming through the lock at early hours shouting between themselves with no thought for the people who live in the lock side cottages or the pub. It's just manners and as far as he is concerned us boaters don't give a shit about anyone but ourselves!

That swing bridge is meant to be closed except whan boats are going through.

So, two sides to every story eh!

So where are the posts about abusive and foul-mouthed boaters ?

There won't be any - because they are all lovely people and don't forget the canal was there first!.

However, boaters could be a bit more tolerant and move with the times - there is a sanitary station close to the lock and even closer to a row of cottages - perhaps boaters could switch off engines when using this facility, or when filling water tanks. Despite notices detailing what rubbish can be left the instructions are oft ignored.

It's an easy bridge to operate so if it has to be left shut why not do it? it's easier to use than the one at Pitstone and as far as I know that one is always left shut.

L.

Right - I live near there and the red lion is my local. I know the owner of the old lock keepers cottage, the white one and he does not ever drive a vehicle over the bridge and as his is the only house on that side of the canal, no one else would. He and his missus are very nice people.

The owner of the Red Lion gets rather piissed off by people coming through the lock at early hours shouting between themselves with no thought for the people who live in the lock side cottages or the pub. It's just manners and as far as he is concerned us boaters don't give a shit about anyone but ourselves!

That swing bridge is meant to be closed except whan boats are going through.

So, two sides to every story eh!

If I may respond, and perhaps clarify what I have said. The gentleman who abused my daughter was from the lock house, not the pub. This person called out of the upstairs window "Are you f***ing taking the p*ss" and "show some concern for people who have to work for a living" Having just spoken to my daughter to clarify, she stresses that they WERE being as quiet as they could be, AND were showing concern for the people who live there. In fact she did apologise to a man who came out of one of the houses on the same side as the pub, and he was quite happy. She also feels that had she and her friends been 3 men instead of 3 women, then the angry man's attitude might have been slightly different.

Regarding the incident last year when my wife and I were exiting the lock travelling north, and the gentleman rushed out of the pub to slam the bridge shut-- I have no idea whether he was the landlord or not. He did, however, rant on and on using lots of swear words. When my wife calmly said "Please don't swear at me" he called her a c**t

At this point I would normally have stepped off the boat to close the bridge and lock gate, but, as the bridge was by now closed, she persuaded me that getting off right next to this gentleman to close the gate was not the best idea.I have to admit I followed her request, and departed sadly leaving a gate open.

I think you and your daughter may have got unlucky.

We have a permanent mooring just below the lock at Fenny, so are obviously there a lot, and see much use of lock and swing bridge.

I have never yet seen anyone associated with houses or pub display any angry behaviours at all, (although I have seen some boaters do fairly stupid things, including opening the gates and entering the lock without moving the bridge out the way first!).

I think you and your daughter may have got unlucky.

We have a permanent mooring just below the lock at Fenny, so are obviously there a lot, and see much use of lock and swing bridge.

I have never yet seen anyone associated with houses or pub display any angry behaviours at all, (although I have seen some boaters do fairly stupid things, including opening the gates and entering the lock without moving the bridge out the way first!).

Alan, I have, single handing through, was sworn at for not closing the bridge as I was still moving the boat to the lock exit.

I said I would be there in a minute, he called me a CXXX. He was quite excited, it was early afternoon.

I carried on, ignoring him,stopping boat in lock mouth and walked back with windlass swinging/spinning actually(not really needed to do anything!!!!!), to the bridge and shut it. then shut the gate.

He didn't say a word when I was near him, brave chap.

There won't be any - because they are all lovely people and don't forget the canal was there first!.

However, boaters could be a bit more tolerant and move with the times - there is a sanitary station close to the lock and even closer to a row of cottages - perhaps boaters could switch off engines when using this facility, or when filling water tanks. Despite notices detailing what rubbish can be left the instructions are oft ignored.

It's an easy bridge to operate so if it has to be left shut why not do it? it's easier to use than the one at Pitstone and as far as I know that one is always left shut.

L.

Ah the sani station with the best blackberries ever, though because of their proximity to the bucket chucking doings people are reluctant to pick them. As to the bridge and the locals I've never had a problem other than it was pointed out to me that in the 10 minutes it took to consume a Red Lion pint a couple of years back England lost three wickets in an Ashes test. The landlord seemed to think I had magical powers but was quite happy to sell me another pint. The locals were friendly enough and the fish and chips from the nearby chippy was excellent. I don't remember a bridge but that's what I have crew for ...those little details.