Boatmans cabin - best use?

frahkn

Featured Posts

Sacrilige..

What wrong with washing your socks in the Buckby Can?

Hence why I didn't start my own thread on the matter. I knew i'd get comments like that which is why I thought i'd hide the question in this thread. Although I must admit, I thought sueb would be the first.

In answer to your question, nothing. But it's 2013 so I prefer to use a washing machine.

I'm glad someone has started this thread. I've been contemplating starting a similar one myself for the last few days due to the boat I'm going to view this weekend having one. The boat is perfect for me in many ways and the only things it doesn't have that I really want is a wardrobe, and space to put a washing machine in the future should I decide I want/need one. Due to the size and layout of the boat, the only available space not being used is the back cabin.

So experts, do you think it would be feasible/possible to convert the fold down double in the back cabin into a wardrobe? I have in mind some sort of modification that would leave it looking exactly as it does now, but cutting straight down the centre and adding some hinges to the outer edges of the newly created doors? I would get a carpenter to do the work so as to leave it looking as 'authentic' as possible. Secondly, an obvious space for the studio size washing machine is where the fold down table is by doing a similar modification. Has anyone ever done anything like this?

We have a washer/drier and a freezer both fitted into this space ie under the cross bed. Still have the fold down table, stove, side bed etc.

I would just sitt in it and think it's awsome :-)

Yep,

My wife did that, and it is largely the reason we ended up with a second boat when we haven't really got the time or energy to look after and use just one. cool.png

My back cabin, basically crafted, (as they should be), not some work of a cabinetmaker, (which they shouldn't be), just makes me happy, and I can just sit and admire it for hours for its practical simplicity.

And yes, there are times when I think "running water would be nice", but I have another boat for that!

Yep,

My wife did that, and it is largely the reason we ended up with a second boat when we haven't really got the time or energy to look after and use just one. cool.png

My back cabin, basically crafted, (as they should be), not some work of a cabinetmaker, (which they shouldn't be), just makes me happy, and I can just sit and admire it for hours for its practical simplicity.

And yes, there are times when I think "running water would be nice", but I have another boat for that!

But Alan, when you tip over the other Buckby can (the one without the socks), you have running water..

B)

So experts, do you think it would be feasible/possible to convert the fold down double in the back cabin into a wardrobe? I have in mind some sort of modification that would leave it looking exactly as it does now, but cutting straight down the centre and adding some hinges to the outer edges of the newly created doors? I would get a carpenter to do the work so as to leave it looking as 'authentic' as possible. Secondly, an obvious space for the studio size washing machine is where the fold down table is by doing a similar modification. Has anyone ever done anything like this?

When we had our boat built, the back cabin was going to be our son's bedroom. The drop down table and drawer etc were retained for his PC and the cross bed space was integrated into the cupboard space above it to make a very useful double wardrobe. Even though he has since moved out, the wardrobe is much more useful to us than a cross bed.

We also had bed boards and extra cushions made so we could have a longitudinal double bed instead of a single if needed.

Tony

Is it a back cabin isolated from the rest of the boat by a steel bulkhead and engine 'ole or one that has been fashioned from the back end of the full length cabin? I ask because the former is (obviously) isolated from the rest of the boat and necessitates a trip down the gunnels to access the mod-cons, whereas the latter is (again obviously) more integrated. I'm 6'1" and find the motor cabin cross and side beds as bit uncomfortable, one too narrow, the other too short.

Assuming it's the latter style, if I had the choice I'd probably retain all the bits except the cross bed: somewhere cosy to lurk in bad weather without heating all the boat, kettle always on the boil when the stove's lit and loads of storage for day to day boaty stuff.

Best use I have ever found for a back cabin is a good woman!

You've been watching ''The bargee''.smile.png

Surely if you've got no use for a back cabin why buy a boat with one, just buy a boat about 10ft shorter and reap the extra financial benefit of cheaper licence and mooring fees.

Papermaker has a full length seat bunk with drop down table, boatmans stove, and a kitchen in the back cabin. I thing cross beds are twee but impracticable.

Cross beds Impractical? Me and Gillie have slept in one every night for the last 3 years, and if we have too much beer and sleep heavily we sometimes wake up and find a greyhound/deerhound in there too!

............Dave

We've used our back cabin for several purposes. Initially it was just a through route to the stern end but it has since been used as a tool shed, an office, and a utility space but recently we have converted it to... yes, our bedroom! 2ft on each side of the cabin has been fitted out with storage boxes with lift up lids. A flap, hinged on the top edge of the storage boxes on one side goes between to create the base of the bed. We have twin mattresses (one 2'6" and one 3' wide x 6') which are the perfect size to fill the space and which are simply lifted up and stand on edge on the boxes (both on one side or one on each side), then the central flap is opened and rests on the mattress on one side while we're on the move. We are mostly at our mooring so its not a daily chore to do this but its a very quick flip job when we are out and about. But, the bonus is that this has left a huge area in the middle of the boat, where our bedroom was, available for more precious living space. So the clever half of our team has created a utility room (which as an alternative offers enough room to make a single bedroom) and a fabulous breakfast bar!! It works for us but its obviously not to everyone's taste and these things all depend on your circumstances and what you want from your boat.