Crick - did you buy anything?

Kwacker

Featured Posts

At 10am this morning, we had no plans for the day other than to buy 2 tins of grease so we trundled over to North Kilworth to do the deed.

Suddenly, by 12 noon I found myself at Crick Boat Show and my wallet was starting to hurt.

I didn't know we needed .....

A quilted bedspread

A hat

His and hers elasticated gloves with the index finger and thumb ends cut off.

A "bedazzling" neon light cluster

Over-priced pork and stuffing rolls

Over-priced and under-sized doughnuts

Over-priced bitter coffees

I didn't buy .. but want ...

A new riveted boat ... definitely can't afford one of those, but enjoyed chatting to the guy on the stand

A Fischer Panda genset ....can't justify one unfortunately.

Seriously though, I last went 2 years ago, and found it disappointing apart from the music. Today was like a groundhog day, it seemed identical, same exhibitors in the same places.

Unless they revamp it somewhat, I probably won't spend my £100+ there again.

Elastic things with a bobble on the end to secure the cratch cover. Got all of 15% off from MS stand so the prices were normal as would be anywhere else

Two warm light LED lights from Bedazzled to see if they are any good before converting the whole boat.

Lister Petter filters oil etc from Chris - B of this forum

A couple of quid into the Dudley Canal Trust tin.

A couple of quid into the Ex Soldiers stand

Did debate whether to pay my CRT Lisence early, but decided to make them wait.

Chicken Nuggets (I think) and chips - not over impressed

Stayed away from the beer tent as I had to drive home.

Left at 1.00pm as the show was getting rather crowded and I don't do crowds too well.

Stuff we paid for:

A Marco Brass Trumpet 12v Horn from Kingslock Chandlery (I've been wanting one of those for ages) clapping.gif

Two Bath towels (we didn't really need but got talked into) frusty.gif

A front cratch cover from Wilsons.

Another tin of Le Tonkinois varnish and some magic potion to dull down the shine a bit.

A jar of Brass mate.

A bottle of Gel mate.

Stuff we got for free:

Wife won top prize in a raffle, a free trip through Dudley Tunnel for 2 adults and 2 children. biggrin.png

A bit sun burnt

and one or two nice piccies of the lovely Julia Bradbury.

Julia.jpg

Now I do have a little story about the catering! I have a part time business making Cumberland sausages here on our farm and three years ago the guy with the franchise rings me up and says "How would you like to sell your sausages at Crick Boat Show?"

OK says I, "what's the "deal?"

"£2000 all in he says, for three days including electric" (ever wondered why the food is expensive?)

So, we do the deal,and I transfer the money into his account. Unfortunately, for everyone but especially for my friend, he dies of a heart attack a couple of days later.

My £2,000 is still out there somewhere, but one day I might be able to sell you all Cumberland Sausages at Crick Boat Show!

(Should say that no one is to blame and the organisers have not got the fee - just one of those things)

Who's Julia Bradbury?

MtB

She is a great lady who has presented Countryfile on the BBC. She has also had series on canal side walks, railway and river walks. She has also covered Wainwright's Lakeland walks.

I think she also did Kill it, cook it, eat it.

One person who I would love to meet.

Two warm light LED lights from Bedazzled to see if they are any good before converting the whole boat.

We have had LED lights from Bedazzled fitted for 18 months. They are great, save lots of battery power, and all still working well.

I was helping running the free trip boats run by the LNBP community boat charity gave over a thousand people an experience of our canals who might not otherwise have appreciated the peace and stress free (almost) of canal life, and the weather was glorious cool.png

Great weekend, lovely weather. Spent load of dosh but got everything on our shopping list with lots of discounts. Spoilt by poor quality almost inedible beef burger, cold chips but made up by excellent, proper job, Cornish pasties. Then there was the beer tent, lots of local real ales (excellent) but by Sunday all the decent ones had gone, by Monday lunch almost all gone. Help for Hero's loud and over pushy. General boating stalls pleasant and cheerful, but disappointed that some were starting to pack up at 2.30pm on Monday afternoon. Really enjoyed the weekend though.

Two pipe fenders from Midland Swindlers, good value at £5 each including ropes; jar of very palatable orange & lemon marmalade; next Christmas' cards (reduced to clear on IWA stand); overpriced and more or less comestible food & drink as above. We bought our tickets in advance from Waterways World, and I think that at £8.10p each including postage they were good value.

We didn't spend that much on stuff for the boat this year - we probably already have all that we need! As always it was nice looking round the latest offerings from the boatbuilders and, in my opinion, the boats displayed by Steve Hudson were probably the best all rounders - especially in terms of build quality and finish. I particularly like the "British made" theme that Steve has introduced to his advertising material. I don't know if it is my imagination but this year's boats all seemed to have a very shallow draught - with the result that, in many cases, there was insufficient headroom for anyone over six feet tall. I was unable to stand up straight in the engine room of one of the Hudson boats and I think this is a pity because that particular engine room was very nicely arranged with a very tidy JP3 power unit.

Some of the food stalls were a bit of a rip off and the quality was dubious - we enjoyed a nice portion of Paella though but we reverted to our boat for most of our meals. Nevertheless, it was a great show made better by the sunshine and we will be back next year.

Among the offerings that were of interest this year were the Wi-Fi and 3G dongles and antennas being offered by http://www.zead.co.uk - we were very tempted to shell out £99 there and then but decided to do more research into the alternatives. Getting a decent mobile Internet signal on the boat is always a challenge. There were also excellent deals to be had on batteries - especially toward the end of the show but we are still running on the £25 jobs that we bought from Vince on this forum several years ago - I guess they will expire one day so it is well worth researching replacements.

I did buy Jane a Pearl necklace for her birthday from a very nice lady with a jewellery stand and we did enjoy a really excellent meal in "The Moorings Restaurant" . . .

... I don't know if it is my imagination but this year's boats all seemed to have a very shallow draught - with the result that, in many cases, there was insufficient headroom for anyone over six feet tall. I was unable to stand up straight in the engine room of one of the Hudson boats and I think this is a pity because that particular engine room was very nicely arranged with a very tidy JP3 power unit.

It is of course all to do with the air draft. Steve likes to keep his boats low, and at 6'4"+ I can't stand up in the main part of the standard boat, let alone the engine room and back cabins with their raised floors. We had the cabin sides extended on ours so that I can stand up, obviously the downside is more air draft but its still not too bad. Edited by nicknorman

Bought a few small bits and pieces but nothing significant. Our Shoreline mini chest freezer has never worked properly, although the fridge is brill. Ali collared the main man on the Shoreline stand and after some discussion, ( I had to walk away!), he agreed to swop it for a new one, if it will fit. Result,,,,,if the promise is honoured. We shall see!