Volunteer Lock-keepers

WJM

Featured Posts

I came down the Hanwell Flight yesterday and I had what was for me an unpleasant experience. CaRT have introduced volunteer lock-keepers on the flight. Personally I really enjoy working locks. I especially enjoy flights of locks where the challenge is to try to be as efficient as possible. I also like the physical work of winding paddles and pushing gates. For this reason I usually travel on my own. If I wanted help I would bring someone along, but I usually don't.

So introducing the new lock-keepers... I don't want any help. They work in different way from me. I am happy working on my own. I am as quick, if not quicker, than most multi-crewed boats I don't want to spend an hour or two chatting. By the end of the flight I was close to being offensive to this poor unfortunate well meaning chap (thankfully I did manage to hold my tongue). And btw, I was the only boat on the flight at the time.

I found the whole experience akin to stopping your car to offer a lift to runner - so that you can spare him the effort of running!

I wonder, what is the brief that these volunteers are given? Would it be acceptable for me to ask them at the outset not to help me? I know that they are essentially kind and well intended - just that they are ruining my experience!

Edited by WJM

I think the "problem" is that some places that are not busy are finding themselves with several volunteer lock keepers on duty at the same time, with not a lot to do.

We have three times recently encountered this at Stoke Hammond "Three Locks", where never less than 2 are on duty, even if almost nothing is moving.

Now I know a lot of people are grateful for the assistance, but, if I'm honest, like you, I would generally prefer to work through on my own.

However they seem so keen to want to do something, I haven't got the heart to tell them I'd rather wind a few paddles myself!

A compromise might be if they concentrated on setting the lock(s) ahead, whilst you worked your own lock, but there are too many of them to keep occupied.

I'm not intending to have a go at willing volunteers, but I have been told I should not be winding top gate paddles until they are part covered, when we are going up on our own - normally we whack every paddle straight up, so that is basically suggesting we don't know what we are doing at the 99% of locks where there are no keepers!

Yesterday I was asked to reverse away from the uphill gate, because my front button was touching it. It is a very nice front button, which will not damage their gates, and on those locks has no prospect of getting caught or lifting a gate, but clearly they have been instructed that no boats should contact gates at all whilst going though.

I smile and keep my cool, but I can understand why those less patient than we are might start to get stroppy with them.

I believe last year they were positively discouraged from assisting boaters, its possible this may have led to complaints from boaters. This year they are being asked to assist, what seems to be happening though is that we have gone full circle and they are now assisting whether you want it or not. whilst we should listen to advice, the person on the back of the boat with a tiller in his hand should call the shots. A volunteer lockie shouldn't be there to instruct unless it is either asked for or he considers the boat to be in danger. There seems to me to be a case for representations to be made to CRT regarding how their volunteers should be acting. I know from talking to some of these volunteers that they do suffer from some abuse from boaters, whilst this is never really justified, we all have a trigger point where our patience is exhausted.

Have done Caan Hill twice in the last few weeks, both times it was just Gillie driving the boat and me doing the locks. I really hoped a volunteer lock keeper might turn up. Ideally they could have gone ahead and set a few locks ready but left us to work through the locks in our own way (which includes resting the button on the gates!) but no, a team of volunteers , windlasses in hand, walked straight past us chatting amongst themselves but no offer of help!

And yesterday, bank holiday Monday, somebody had painted the bollards on the lock landings below Crofton....now our lovely black ropes look a zebras tail!!!!!!

.............Dave

The guy who does (or did) the Stonebridge lock on the Lee of a Wednesday always asked if I wanted help going through. Since it's electric I always said yes. On a manual lock I'd rather do it myself.

We encountered some over the weekend on the T&M around Stoke somewhere, didn't note where exactly was too busy at the time and it didn't cross my mind. We found it great and was through the lock in no time without lifting a finger. As we are trying to move our boat closer to home before we have to vacate, anything that can speed us on our way south is a good thing. However, I agree with other comments in that they should ask if you would like a hand rather than assuming you do. If you would rather do it yourself then they shouldn't take offence.

Alan.

We met 3 lock keepers on the Marple flight today. They were helping a couple of boats down the flight & asked if we needed help. We had a brief chat with them & they asked if we needed any help & we said we were fine. So as long as it works like that it's great, the help is there if you need it.

I think in the OP's case, the thing to do is just to politely say you want to do the locks yourself and would prefer not to have any assistance.

I suppose the difficulty might come if someone else took the same view but was very slow, at a time when a flight was busy with booats waiting.

I was a volunteer lock keeper on the Trent powered locks which are different. But on nornal manual operation locks I am sure if you said to them you wanted to do them yourself they would oblige. However part of their brief is to ensure efficent water use so they may direct you to wait or similar.

When we went down Hanwell last year there were two volunteers, one said he had been doing it for two years, so not a new thing.

It was the one busy spell in our trip down from Watford, and they were very helpful/useful.

Tim

Not seen any volunteer Lock Keepers on The Bridgewater Canal!!!

O/10 for observation - I've seen them at Dukes Lock, which was originally part of the Bridgewater, before they sold it to the RCC.

:)

O/10 for observation - I've seen them at Dukes Lock, which was originally part of the Bridgewater, before they sold it to the RCC.

smile.png

I am not sure if that is strictly true as the lock was built under the Rochdale Canal Act which authorised the lock to be built by the Bridgewater, and for them to provide the lock keeper. What they sold to the Rochdale was an end to the control of the lock and the additional rate for passing through it. It's not that I'm pedantic or anything.rolleyes.gif

Do they have any on the Leeds & Liverpool I wonder..?

don't think they've made it this far north yet... would be really handy on the wigan flight, although i bet no one would want to hang around blackburn locks all day either...

They were at Hillmorton Locks over last weekend.

At some time over the weekend the middle pound was run dry ?

I cannot confirm if the two items are related, but if they are there to help conserve water then what happened ?

As it happens we prefer to do the locks ourselves, but it would be useful if they could indicate if any lock is ready for approaching boats.

When we returned a hire boater was waiting for a boat coming up, but the other lock was almost full ! and offered it to us and accepted. We were down all three locks and gone with them nowhere in sight.

Have done Caan Hill twice in the last few weeks, both times it was just Gillie driving the boat and me doing the locks. I really hoped a volunteer lock keeper might turn up. Ideally they could have gone ahead and set a few locks ready but left us to work through the locks in our own way (which includes resting the button on the gates!) but no, a team of volunteers , windlasses in hand, walked straight past us chatting amongst themselves but no offer of help!

And yesterday, bank holiday Monday, somebody had painted the bollards on the lock landings below Crofton....now our lovely black ropes look a zebras tail!!!!!!

.............Dave

Yes I've met them guys.

They like a good chat.

But didn't help me either.

One jokingly threatened to hit be with his windless if I kept leaving the gates open ( I was going up hill. Single handed. ) I was going to reason with him but I think he went for a cup of tea.

I'm still reading through this thread

Edited by Goliath

I ve met a lot of volunteer lock keepers since leaving Devizes 5 weeks ago and reserved me judgement until I've got a fair idea, because at first it was a bit odd.

On the whole, ive found they're very good and very polite. And they usually ask to assist before assuming to assist.

I'm single handed and have me routine but I always welcome a chat. And they're good for a natter with local knowledge.

I always work the lock with them as I would when sharing a lock with another boat. I do oneside and they the other.

Today was good, the lockies emptying the locks above so i could nudge the doors open when I arrived. As they went up the hill they just raised a paddle and walked on. When I caught up with them on the last lock they had gates open and were keeping another boat waiting.

A bad experience was Camden lock. I think they had 5 lockies there. And they stole my glory! Loads of people milling about taking photos (of me !) and shouting hello. I didn't get a chance to show off. Lock keepers opening and shutting and guiding and being important.

But they did permit me 10 minutes mooring while I got a pint of milk

The best thing about being on your own is the solitude of working alone.

So far I haven't come across a lockie in the remote parts - imagine meeting Brian Blessed.

Why can't we have swing bridge operatives?