Towpath Rules

RickH

Featured Posts

Just had a minor altercation with a cyclist whilst walking my dog on the towpath , she was in his way , he was moving along at about 15mph and had to brake .

So , my question is , who has right of way ? Speed limits for bikes ? This was on the cycle path near Bath , not a narrow path at all . Am I allowed to have my dog off leash ?

When I go to get my car after cruising for a day or two I ride my bike along the TP but will always slow to almost a stop for dogs and kids as they are pretty unpredictable , adults not so much .

I'm not sure who has the legal right of way but, in my opinion, if your dog is off its lead and obstructs a cyclist then it is not under proper control.

My dogs are entirely predictable, when on anything as narrow as a towpath as they are always on a lead.

On this occassion I was standing right next to my dog and she wasn't moving , I guess if she wasn't there he'd have been screaming at me to move .

Would you say this applies to small children in that case , if they obstruct a cyclist are they out of control ? IMHO I think a cyclist should be giving way to everyone , not to be anti cyclist , but my dog will not hurt you by walking into you , a cyclist can cause considerable damage by hitting you at speed .

Would you say this applies to small children in that case , if they obstruct a cyclist are they out of control ?

I try to make sure my children are under control but I would also expect cyclists to show a level of care also.

I have no idea what your dog is like but if it approached my kids or dogs then it is not under control and would be removed swiftly.

How exactly ? !

The last dog that came running up to my family was taken out of harms way by being, gently, thrown in the cut.

The owner wasn't too pleased but the alternative would have been far more traumatic for all concerned.

The last dog that came running up to my family was taken out of harms way by being, gently, thrown in the cut.

The owner wasn't too pleased but the alternative would have been far more traumatic for all concerned.

If you apply that to every dog that comes running up to you I'd say that would be a bit of an over reaction .

If you apply that to every dog that comes running up to you I'd say that would be a bit of an over reaction .

possibly but if a big dog came running up to me and mine and looked abit unfriendly then not sure I wouldn't do the same, the owner would have to accept that they were a least partly responsible by not having the dog under control.

I say this as the owner of two dogs and I would not allow the border collie to be off its lead when other people/children are around, where as the labrador will just want food/fuss so I'd be less worried, but I some people just don't like/feel comfortable with dogs and any responsible owner should recognise that.

You may think that but perhaps you haven't witnessed a dog off its lead bite your dog's leg off ("Oooh! he's never done anything like that before!")

I reserve the right not to be harassed by anyone or anything invading my space and if a dog is running towards me or mine I will not wait to be licked or bitten, neither of which is acceptable.

Just had a minor altercation with a cyclist whilst walking my dog on the towpath , she was in his way , he was moving along at about 15mph and had to brake .

So , my question is , who has right of way ? Speed limits for bikes ? This was on the cycle path near Bath , not a narrow path at all . Am I allowed to have my dog off leash ?

When I go to get my car after cruising for a day or two I ride my bike along the TP but will always slow to almost a stop for dogs and kids as they are pretty unpredictable , adults not so much .

Cycle Path probably gives a clue

I met a family a few months ago whose daughter , around 12 years old had a total meltdown when my dog , a Border Terrier mix and as soft and friendly as you can get walked towards her wagging her tail . The father asked me to put the dog on a leash as the girl was frightened , no problem . Most pet owners are responsible and know their dogs personality enough to avoid problems before they begin .

I would hope you wouldn't toss my dog in the canal but I understand how people may be very cautious around dogs .

possibly but if a big dog came running up to me and mine and looked abit unfriendly then not sure I wouldn't do the same, the owner would have to accept that they were a least partly responsible by not having the dog under control.

I say this as the owner of two dogs and I would not allow the border collie to be off its lead when other people/children are around, where as the labrador will just want food/fuss so I'd be less worried, but I some people just don't like/feel comfortable with dogs and any responsible owner should recognise that.

My Lab would scrap with any dog he met unless we were out shooting and then he was fine

I doubt it is in any way enforcible, but have noted that where tow-paths have been adopted for cycling near us on the GU, it advises a 10mph speed limit.

That said, I would say speedometers on bikes are very much the exception than the norm, so I think judging what 10mph is may be a bit of a challenge.

Edited by alan_fincher

Should you be bitten whilst throwing said dog in the cut, who would be to blame... you or the dog?

Bod

Edited by Bod

Highway code requires dogs to be under control near roads:-

Rule 56

Dogs. Do not let a dog out on the road on its own. Keep it on a short lead when walking on the pavement, road or path shared with cyclists or horse riders.

and cyclists to slow down

Rule 62

Cycle Tracks. These are normally located away from the road, but may occasionally be found alongside footpaths or pavements. Cyclists and pedestrians may be segregated or they may share the same space (unsegregated). When using segregated tracks you MUST keep to the side intended for cyclists as the pedestrian side remains a pavement or footpath. Take care when passing pedestrians, especially children, older or disabled people, and allow them plenty of room. Always be prepared to slow down and stop if necessary. Take care near road junctions as you may have difficulty seeing other road users, who might not notice you.

Common sense applies.

As I understand it there is no speed limit for bikes since they are not fitted with a calibrated speedo. The cyclist can however be prosecuted for "cycling furiously". A lot depends on sense. I tend to cycle on the road since I'm often travelling at 18 - 20 mph on my bike (often quicker) and at those speeds I consider it a hazard to pedestrians to use the combined cycle/foot path.

Edited by Chalky

OP - you know your dog

I don't.

If he came running towards me, or my family, untethered and on a public highway or towpath, and I feel threatened - I will take whatever action I deem necessary in the particular circumstances, to stay safe.

If you cannot be bothered to keep your dog under control, where it may be expected to meet other animals or members of the public, - I fail to understand why you should put that responsibility upon me.

If a dog with me, off a lead, attacked you or your animal - I would expect you to feel a trifle miffed.

Hell's bells that's a fat dog! ohmy.png

Cyclists: Last weekend the OH and I were taking a stroll down the towpath, checking out the location of the mooring we've just bought, when a lycra-clad cyclist came up behind us. From a sensiible distance behind, he rang his bell and called out, "Excuse me please" ,and as he passed us, "Thank you" That's all it takes!

Dogs: Recently a large dog, off the lead, chased my son's cat down the towpath and right into his boat! When the dog's owner came up my son 'suggested' wink.png that maybe she should keep her dog on the lead, if it was likely to chase other animals. She replied, "Oh, don't make such a fuss! He's only doing what comes naturally to dogs!" Half an hour later, my son saw the dog-owner running back up the towpath, panting "Have you seen my dog? He ran off chasing a deer!" His reply was, "Should have put him on the lead when I ****ing told you to!" laugh.png

A bicycle is a vehicle . Vehicles belong on roads NOT footpaths. Any cyclist going faster than a walking pace on said path is a ##. As a driving instructor I can tell you the rules are obvious but it is that bigger gives way to smaller so a push bike gives way to a pedestrian and a motorcycle to a pushbike and a car to a motorcycle etc etc. Yes you shoul control your dog but was it causing any hassle? I doubt it. More likely the wally on his silly pedal machine should have given way.

Tim

Edited by DHutch
Inappropriate language removed.

Should you be bittern whilst throwing said dog in the cut, who would be to blame... you or the dog?

Bod

We're talking about the canal towpath, not the Norfolk Broads.wink.png

bittern_1318554c.jpg

How about this one?

fat-dog.jpg

If that one came running up to me then I'd give it a medal for effort.