Towpath Rules

RickH

Featured Posts

The use of the word tw@t is highly offense, and should not be tolerated on this family forum, and in my mind is the langauge of a thug.

My view anyway

It has at least three totally different meanings of which I'm aware, not sure why you find it so offensive in the way it was used, or what it has to do with bullying??

Just a synonym for twit, as I read it.

Tim

IME cyclists treat pedestrians just like motorists treat cyclists. I always let the cyclist by as it is less trouble than provoking an argument. I do however always step away from canal side thus ensuring the cyclist passes closest to the canal so that if anyone is going in it is not me.

Very few step off their bike when passing and many look worried when they realise it is them taking the 'risk'.

Regards

Ditchdabbler

:lol: should cyclists perhaps be required to wear lifejackets when in close proximity to water when the machine they are in charge of is out of control.

the curse of the idiot cyclist makes some towpaths horrible. something has to be done at some point, its a shame if otherwise civil people are driven to pushing shopping trolleys in front of bikes but this is what it will come to or similar if there is no mechanism put in place to get into these thick people's skulls that they are not saving the planet they are just irritating people.

:rant mode OFF:/

A lot of cyclists are simply urban terrorists. Because there is some sort of campaign to get people out of cars on on to cycles they seem to think they have a right to ride roughshod over the rest of the population.

As you may have guessed I'm not fan.

The use of the word tw@t is highly offense, and should not be tolerated on this family forum, and in my mind is the langauge of a thug.

My view anyway

What are you talking about??

Then i would suggest then it would be better to use the word twit, not hard to work out, the other word will only cause upset

I used the word twat in post 122.

I am a long, long way from being a thug, though I am not averse to using earthy language.

Comes from a lifetime of working with real people

Edited by Bazza2
  • Greenie 3

My view anyway

For real?

Then i would suggest then it would be better to use the word twit, not hard to work out, the other word will only cause upset

Blimey, It seems you are serious.

I used the word twat in post 122.

I am a long, long way from being a thug, though I am not averse to using earthy language.

Comes from a lifetime of working with real people

Have a greenie.

Tim

Sorry and I know I am in a very tiny minority but it isn't acceptable to me for the reason I gave earlier.

With regard to surrounding fauna I have lived in the country all my life and worked with animals wild and tame, large and small (from bulls downwards) I have only ever been attacked and injured by a dog.

I too have lived in the country and worked with animals all my life

Unfortunately I have been attacked and injured by humans. Should they be governed by different rules? Or , like Carl, is it ok to throw themin the cut too if off a lead :)

I too have lived in the country and worked with animals all my life

Unfortunately I have been attacked and injured by humans. Should they be governed by different rules? Or , like Carl, is it ok to throw themin the cut too if off a lead smile.png

Definitely throw them in the cut but make sure they are holding something heavy first! clapping.gif

If you are incapable of keeping your dog under control and it is being a nuisance then I would exercise my right to remove it.

If you then chose to commit an act of violence to exacerbate your incompetence then you would receive similar treatment.

That said if I did remove your dog and it appeared to be in difficulty then you wouldn't have to resort to violence as I would be in the canal rescuing it before you reached us.

I would suggest that the best place for a blind dog is on the end of a lead so you don't put it in such a position.

Is the "right" to remove a dog a national one or a local bye law? I only ask as I haven't heard of such a right. Does that right extend to any animal that is a threat?

Sorry but that is just nonsense.

If a dog is not under the owner's control and is running towards me and my family then I will not be standing still and trusting that my kids and dogs will be doing the same.

I will be standing between them and the dog and then I will remove it from harm's way.

As I said at the start of the thread, the last time I stood still and allowed a strange dog to invade my space my dog ended up a tripod.

The usual course of action is, of course, to tell the owner to get his dog under control and out of my face which usually does the trick.

I have no intention of throwing a ball for a strange dog on the towpath either (edited to add: unless it is likely to follow the ball into the canal of course).

It is strange how some owners seem to think that everybody wants to play with or be licked by their animals.

My dogs are on leads in confined spaces, such as towpaths out of respect for other people who may not want their space invaded and I don't see why other dog owners cannot afford me, and anyone else, the same respect.

Edited to add: I should also say that if a dog was approaching with obviously aggressive intentions then, rather than risk the wellbeing of my children, I would unslip the leads of my dogs (bred specifically to dispatch prey much larger than them) and instruct them to get on with it while I got my kids to safety.

Just pray I don't feel threatened by you or your dogs

Humans have been bred to dispatch anything larger or smaller than themselves. And without instruction too at times

Definitely throw them in the cut but make sure they are holding something heavy first! clapping.gif

clapping.gif

When faced with a ferocious dog that's snarling and snapping at you it pays to keep your gob shut, showing your teeth by smiling and grinning at em in probable fright and nervousness eggs em on and gives them the impression that your snarling at them, are angry and spoiling for a fight with them. Dogs think this way because that's the way dogs think, I think, well I think so anyway I think. :unsure:

My hero! :-)

Actually, hubby is right. Did I say "have to"? No, I didn't. I said "should" as in advisory...

Your post was unclear but you have confirmed that mine was correct. Thank you.

Regardless of whether your use of the word "should" was meant to be in an advisory or mandatory sense the fact remains that the vast majority of towpaths are permissive paths, with no requirement to close for one day a year, not public rights of way as you originally suggested.

Just pray I don't feel threatened by you or your dogs

I don't pray ever but, in this case, there would beno need for divine intervention as my dogs are always on a lead in public places so any threat you may feel would entirely unnecessary and possibly a bit paranoid.

Is the "right" to remove a dog a national one or a local bye law? I only ask as I haven't heard of such a right. Does that right extend to any animal that is a threat?

I suggest you investigate the right to self-defence and

Unfortunately I have been attacked and injured by humans. Should they be governed by different rules?

If you are attacked by a human then of course you have a right to defend yourself.

I don't understand why anyone should be happy that their dogs are not under control and it's okay for them to threaten other people.

It is just selfish and irresponsible both towards other folk and their animals who they seem happy to put at risk.

Edited by carlt
  • Greenie 1

It is just selfish and irresponsible both towards other folk and their animals who they seem happy to put at risk.

Carl,

please could you stop talking sense, it messes with my mind, and I do want to save some greenies for other people!

This post is in reply to that of Bazza's #122 as for some unknown reason, my IPadski would not allow me to respond directly to his post.

Apologies if my reply provoked a guilt trip,( re:blind friend) it certainly wasn't intended to but simply placed as an endorsement to my belief that dogs can be trained to conform to voice control. Agreeably, blind dogs are normally accompanied by their owners with the aid of a harness, but in the confines of their home they are expected to respond to verbal commands, something which their owners rely upon entirely.

Another example is the increasingly popular use of dogs to assist severely disabled people conduct their everyday tasks by issuing verbal instructions to their four legged guardians. A far cry from towpaths yes, but successfully voice controlled nonetheless.

Finally, this reply has taken a couple of days to reach the forum due to an unreliable Internet connection, if only it were a dog. :-)

We CC with 2 cats & a dog, Lola ( dog) is always on a lead unless in a suitable area when she is let off to play ball, her recall is good of the time but if she spots a potential playmate she will play deaf, so I am ultra careful, we are always keeping an eye out for other people/dogs & then she is back on the lead. She is our responsibility & I take that very seriously - On BH Monday I took her to a car boot sale as part of training her to get used to crowds, she was fine, doing really well but several people came up & stroked her uninvited, how do these people know she is safe to approach ? She is very friendly but gets very silly (only 8 months yet) I feel mean saying please don't do that as I am trying to train her to be calm & well behaved in public.

But my main reason for posting was that 2 days ago, Sid the cat was outside in a small copse of trees just off the towpath, hearing barking & shouting Mark went out to see 2 dogs chasing Sid, the women owner was trying to recall the dogs to no avail & Sid ended up in the top branches of a tall tree, she then rounded up the dogs & walked off leaving Mark to try to get a terrified cat down, unfortunately I was out for the day so could only feel helpless on the end of a phone.

Sid is quite good at climbing trees but this time was scared to come down, eventually Mark got him down after climbing half way up the tree to find he has a nasty bite on the inside of his thigh. He is now recovering with lots of TLC ( tuna & yogurt !)

My initial thoughts were that the woman (who never bothered to hang around btw) couldn't have foreseen the incident & presumed it was ok to let her dogs run free on the towpath as lots of dog owners do but then I thought, well if they would chase (& bite!) a cat surely she must have had some idea what they were capable of & I dread to think what would have happened if Sid hadn't got up the tree sad.png

I'd like to say I feel better for the rant & getting it off my chest but I'm still angry.png & if I ever see that woman...

Edited by Jamboat

My initial thoughts were that the woman (who never bothered to hang around btw) couldn't have foreseen the incident & presumed it was ok to let her dogs run free on the towpath as lots of dog owners do ...

A towpath is a narrow, confined space where humans and animals are forced to come in close proximity of each other so the incident is not only foreseeable, it is inevitable unless dogs are kept on a lead.

We have a local cat visit our linear mooring and if Paddy even thinks about chasing it he gets the cold shoulder treatment all day long. He hates to be ignored and we find that this way of chastening him works far better than the physical approach. We intend getting our own cat soon so he'd better get used to sharing the boat with another crew member, one whom no doubt will eventually take complete control of the boat!

Can't wait.