Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Mike Todd said:

Actually, before the hedgerow and spade method, the boat we hired in 1967 used, as if it were the norm, a sea toilet that pumped all directly into the canal.

I suspect that working boats from the outset used hedgerows but without an elsan bucket or spade.

Pisces had one of those, inherited from its Waterbus days.

3 hours ago, howardang said:

Please elaborate on what pee regulations are. I hope I haven’t been breaking the rules without knowing about them.

Peeing in a layby is apparently littering under the Environmental Protection Act 1990, and could get you fined.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-67576246

2 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

Actually, before the hedgerow and spade method, the boat we hired in 1967 used, as if it were the norm, a sea toilet that pumped all directly into the canal.

I suspect that working boats from the outset used hedgerows but without an elsan bucket or spade.

Hedgerows directly when ashore - but for indirect disposal, the canal would be the first choice.  The narratives if the Idle Women make that reasonably clear - and why wouldn't you?  It was more discreet but not uncommon when I started boating.

5 hours ago, Captain P said:

The water is pored into the hedgerow znd then deleted with twice the amount of water. This is the original way of boating.

I have met some who don't do that, just because you do it don't think everyone else goes to the same amount of effort. Its a bit like a Cassette user saying no one empties them into the cut, a majority don't but a few do.  

2 hours ago, David Mack said:

Peeing in a layby is apparently littering under the Environmental Protection Act 1990, and could get you fined.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-67576246

Oh look.

"An officer from District Enforcement, the firm contracted by Dacorum Borough Council to deal with what it calls "enviro-crimes", was said to have tapped on his window and told him he had been "caught littering".

Got their fingers in all the pies. 

They hang around waiting for someone to have a leak in a layby then hit them with a £88 fine. 

Gutless invertebrates. 

Edited by magnetman
typo

11 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Oh look.

"An officer from District Enforcement, the firm contracted by Dacorum Borough Council to deal with what it calls "enviro-crimes", was said to have tapped on his window and told him he had been "caught littering".

Got their fingers in all the pies. 

They hang around waiting for someone to have a leak in a layby then hit them with a £88 fine. 

Gutless invertebrates. 

Having committed this crime on a couple of occasions due to an aging bladder I sympathise

When in a different incarnation I was flying, you could buy a thingy made for the job.I think it was called a Portajohn.

9 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

Having committed this crime on a couple of occasions due to an aging bladder I sympathise

When in a different incarnation I was flying, you could buy a thingy made for the job.I think it was called a Portajohn.

News of the world used to avertise them as ''Carjohns''.

Just now, magnetman said:

The ladies version is more straightforwardly named the Sheewee. 

I saw that on Dragon's Den, it was a sort of tray that was shoved down a woman's knickers with a spout on.

It would still need a Portajohn to catch the wee if used say in a car.

I would be quite interested to see how this would work driving along the motorway.  😰

11 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

Not recommended an a boat.  😛

Sorry had my car head on.

Mind you I did see a barge in France with a domestic flush toilet, Talk about a throne, it was mounted on top of a pedestal to get it above the water level, you had to go up steps to use it.

I've got a dark blue Shires suite on the trawler. with U bend it fIMG_20231207_155619.thumb.jpg.fd18304015582cdba23794f8e582f57f.jpglushes into a holding tank. 

First time I've had a proper lavatory on a Boat. Of course it can get expensive to empty if one has to pay for pumpout but my mooring has that included as part of the mooring fee. 

Yes the shower curtain does need changing. Its from 1992. 

12 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I've got a dark blue Shires suite on the trawler. with U bend it fIMG_20231207_155619.thumb.jpg.fd18304015582cdba23794f8e582f57f.jpglushes into a holding tank. 

First time I've had a proper lavatory on a Boat. Of course it can get expensive to empty if one has to pay for pumpout but my mooring has that included as part of the mooring fee. 

Is that Elsan blue? 

1 hour ago, magnetman said:

But in the one I saw it just dropped through the hull into the canal/river

2 hours ago, Mad Harold said:

Not recommended an a boat.  😛

I’ve seen something similar on a narrowboat piped into the sink outlet😱. The owner was quite proud of his handy urinal. 😩

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Whats wrong with a plastic funnel, length of plastic pipe and a hole drilled in the floor 

Edited by Jon57
Addition