Featured Posts

I take it you have sought medical advice since your dunking ~ if not you really should.

Can't comment about anything else you've posted because although our boat was built down there and cruised the K&A we unfortunately never have.

Yes I have! The doctor seems to think I just need to let it work out of my system. I think the actual thought of what I have ingested is now 50 per cent of why I still feel so awful!

Flicka

He didn't consider the risk of Leptospirosis I take it - rare but possible.

I don't think many of us put our sewage into the canal, especially the people who actually live on it. It would seem a bit counterproductive! However, cows certainly do, swimming dogs probably do, and so do the fish. There is also algae which is dangerous to swallow, and run offs from the fertilisers and muck spread on the farmland (some of which can be untreated human waste). All in all, it makes dodgy table water. But it's still probably better than what an awful lot of people on this planet have to drink and is unlikely to kill you. Which is not to say I don't sympathise with you, because I do, but don't tar us all with the same brush! Most of us have fallen into the thing a few times with no great ill effects, but then I must admit I've never swallowed any of it. Anyway, I hope you feel better soon, and enjoy cruising in the future (drily).

Same on the tidal side of the river medway, i was changing anodes nov last year in my wet suit moored to a barge and and my nose was just above the water and the water stank, worse still i could see all the crap heading towards me!

I stank when i got out, wife had to hose me down, not a pretty site.

Lynall

Like I said in my original posting, I'm sure most of you are like Arthur Marshall and DON'T empty your sewage into the canal. We certainly don't and have both a pump out and an elsan on board. But reread it carefully and you will see that I have evidence that some people do.

Flicka

Please don't! I shall now have to look that up won't I? And scare myself more.

It's very very rare and and transmitted by the urine of an infected animal.

The initial symptoms are like flu and it is often missed because of it being so rare and it often just getting passed off as flu. If it had been me I would have made the suggestion, did you undergo any sort of blood tests??

Edited by The Dog House

Thanks and I'll watch out for it but basically I have been sitting on the loo a lot and puking although the puking has now stopped.

Doesn't sound like Leptospirosis then - more like the ingestion of waterborne bacteria related to something else.

Edited by The Dog House

I don't think many of us put our sewage into the canal, especially the people who actually live on it. It would seem a bit counterproductive! However, cows certainly do, swimming dogs probably do, and so do the fish. There is also algae which is dangerous to swallow, and run offs from the fertilisers and muck spread on the farmland (some of which can be untreated human waste).

You have missed mentioning the dog walkers who rather than collect it in a bag flick it into the canal.

However last time I mentioned that on mthe forum many seemed to think it was an acceptable practice.

You have missed mentioning the dog walkers who rather than collect it in a bag flick it into the canal.

However last time I mentioned that on mthe forum many seemed to think it was an acceptable practice.

Knowing what my dog eats I would suggest that it has far less health implications than the rubbish that we feed the wildlife that craps in the canal and landfilling non-compostable bags of shit is far more disgusting than letting it bio-degrade in the hedge or canal.

Around formal moorings, however I pick up my dog's mess in compostable poo-bags and dispose of it either at home or the nearest bin.

I can't speak for other dog owners of course.

I used to moor at locations that had no elsan disposal and it was dead easy to take the bog bucket to the correct place in my van. Bit of fun to be had if the bizzies had wanted to know what I was carrying. I always took a neighbour if they needed, nobody ever tipped it in the cut. Who would want to moor in a sewer.

Same on the tidal side of the river medway, i was changing anodes nov last year in my wet suit moored to a barge and and my nose was just above the water and the water stank, worse still i could see all the crap heading towards me!

I stank when i got out, wife had to hose me down, not a pretty site.

Lynall

Come come, you shouldn't upset her, I'm sure that your wife is a pretty sight. biggrin.png

• Greenie 1

I used to moor at locations that had no elsan disposal and it was dead easy to take the bog bucket to the correct place in my van. Bit of fun to be had if the bizzies had wanted to know what I was carrying. I always took a neighbour if they needed, nobody ever tipped it in the cut. Who would want to moor in a sewer.

Its unbelievable what some people seem happy to live in. I wouldn't think it was a widespread problem but I am sure some people do it. I have been in houses that are full of dog muck. people like that wouldn't be bothered with what does in the canal.

Next time yer fall in keep yer mouth shut.sick.gif

I've just laffed out really loud in a pub at that comment!

It is awful falling in. Get checked for that weil's (?) disease people do die from it. Symptoms are flu like.

But I think OP could be suffering a bad pint.

(May have caused the fall in first place)

". As for the snobby comments about "dirty boaters" that haven't moved all winter, I'm sorry you got ill and all but get over yourself, not moving your boat is not evidence of emtying sewage into the canal, (snip) if you, like many, have a chip on your shoulder about bridgehoppinghippytypeswithrustyboatsthatlikenevermoveblablabla then that's a completely seperate issue to the dumping of sewage. (snip) So certainly not the "dirty boaters" you are so keen to blame.

Totally with you on the sewage issue but the keeness to blame every bad thing that happens on those with less money than you makes me (figuratively) sick.

I hope you get well soon.

I think that's a bit over the top... I get the impression the first post was written in a certain amount of upset and rage while being stuck for a couple of days on the bog! And allowances should therefore be made... I have been known to have a rant at stuff myself in the heat of the moment, and I am, as all who know me will attest, the most patient and tolerant of men.