Featured Posts

If only I could find the greenie button!

Why? The op had previously witnessed human waste being emptied into the k&a and has since fallen in and quite reasonably made a link to their current illness. Her only real mistake was to appear to make an automatic link to such activity being perpetrated by non compliant boaters.

Of course we know they would never do such a thing..... Nor would any other category of boater of course.

I'd be pissed off too if the same had happened to me.

Edited by The Dog House

Hello,I was out cruising with my husband on the Kennet and a series of permanently or semi permanently moored boats that never seem to have gone anywhere all winter let alone the pump out or elsan emptying point.

I thought the point of a cassette loo is that you don't have to move your boat.

I refer you to every Pump Out vs Cassette forum thread ever in the history of the forum.

Why? The op had previously witnessed human waste being emptied into the k&a and has since fallen in and quite reasonably made a link to their current illness. Her only real mistake was to appear to make an automatic link to such activity being perpetrated by non compliant boaters.

Of course we know they would never do such a thing..... Nor would any other category of boater of course.

I'd be pissed off too if the same had happened to me.

I really do sympathise with the OP,

But I thought the two replies very witty.

Hope she's better

Glenn

I also hope she don't really think we're all dirty boaters

Knowing what my dog eats I would suggest that it has far less health implications than the rubbish that we feed the wildlife that craps in the canal and landfilling non-compostable bags of shit is far more disgusting than letting it bio-degrade in the hedge or canal.

Around formal moorings, however I pick up my dog's mess in compostable poo-bags and dispose of it either at home or the nearest bin.

I can't speak for other dog owners of course.

Any meat eating animals poo contains harmful bacteria and should be disposed of properley, so to take that atitude is really bad and your dog poo should be cleared and bagged, the rubbish we feed wildlife whats that about.

What happens to bagged and binned dog poo?

Curious.

An old friend of ours Jean Yves used to dispose of this for his job - it is incinerated. RIP Jean Yves, the poo didn't get you but the alcohol you imbibed did.

Edited by Lady Muck

Any meat eating animals poo contains harmful bacteria and should be disposed of properley, so to take that atitude is really bad and your dog poo should be cleared and bagged, the rubbish we feed wildlife whats that about.

What nonsense. Better a few days in the hedge or cut than hundreds years land filled in a plastic bag.

The crap that humans leave about has turned much of our carnivorous wildlife into carrion feeders carrying disease that we have given them.

I trust that if you are so appalled at disposing of biodegradable waste in the hedge or cut you always use compostable bags for your dog waste and your landfill rubbish.

I've seen lots of poo trees.

I guess some people take the trouble to bag the poo and then, when no one is looking, fling it into the trees. You don't see the evidence in the summer, but come winter it's in view.

I once saw a young girl take trouble to pick up her (dog's) poo in a Tesco bag and then stuffed it down a storm drain.

I've seen these along the GU too. Walking to work the other day and seeing this I thought to myself how I'd actually prefer the dog poo to be in the ground where after a few days rain it washes into the soil. These plastic bags in trees and on the ground are gonna be there a looooong time. Some people are disgusting.

When we first hired narrowboats, there were two occasions when I saw boaters empty their cassettes into the canal.

Filthy, despicable, barstewards.

'Twas the Llangollen canal.

My view is that if folks wish to live in their own faeces - that's their decision

But I strongly object to them imposing their sh1te upon others

What nonsense. Better a few days in the hedge or cut than hundreds years land filled in a plastic bag.

The crap that humans leave about has turned much of our carnivorous wildlife into carrion feeders carrying disease that we have given them.

I trust that if you are so appalled at disposing of biodegradable waste in the hedge or cut you always use compostable bags for your dog waste and your landfill rubbish.

You are serious then, thats its ok to dipose of dog poo in the cut and in the hedgerow, oh well I give up if you cannot see the problem with that well......... all carnivorous wildlife are carrion feeders given half the chance neveer seen any proof that they carry disease that we have given them,

A couple of days ago, on my way to Chester, I watched a bloke walking along the towpath with one of those litter pickers, systematically searching for and then picking up and flicking into the canal every piece of dog shit he could find and he was finding a lot!

I half opened my mouth to remonstrate then thought better of it as it occurred to me that it was possibly better off in the cut than on the bottom of my shoes or in my boat.

It occurred to me (too late) that I could have applauded his devotion to public services and suggested bagging it instead of putting it into the canal but to be honest I would need to know that what he was doing was actually that harmful. Does anyone know or have a compelling argument about the harmfulness or otherwise, I mean does the dog shit harm the aquatic life.

I know some canal water like that on the Gloucester & Sharpness is directly extracted to supply drinking water (in that case for Bristol) and that would no doubt make anyone dumping think twice but what about canals in general? What are the facts?

Is it at least an illegal offence?

I have seen many dog walkers flicking dog shit into the canal, I once asked a dog walker who was obviously unaware that I was a boater, where the nearest dog bin was (I have a dog) and he calmly suggested I just put a stone in the bottom of my doggy bag and throw it in the canal, adding that he did it all the time, I did have a go at him (the plastic pollution made it unquestionably wrong) and he was suitably embarrassed.

On a more general note, I think if we want a cleaner environment to boat in and lets face it there are some pretty ‘shity’ area’s of the canal network, we have to be more pro-active. On a visit to Stoke at the beginning of the year, I noticed huge amounts of rubbish in the canal on the southern approach to the city (I have untangled more from my prop in this area than anywhere else) and a lot of it seemed to be coming from a couple of small business parks. Last week when I passed through the same area I noticed it was unchanged so I took the details of the businesses and the area and e-mailed them to CRT, the City environment dept. and the local paper. CRT responded brilliantly and sent someone to the area to investigate within 24 hours, Stoke city council environment protection initially replied that it was nothing to do with them until I asked why they chose a picture of narrow boats as a header on their web site, then said they would investigate. I am very interested to see if anything has or will actually get cleaned up.

I know that Maffi on here is a long standing campaigner against people who rubbish the canals and towpath and like him I do pick up and properly dispose of a lot of rubbish on my travels, I wonder if enough boaters did this, the problem could be solved?

• Greenie 1

You are serious then, thats its ok to dipose of dog poo in the cut and in the hedgerow, oh well I give up if you cannot see the problem with that well......... all carnivorous wildlife are carrion feeders given half the chance neveer seen any proof that they carry disease that we have given them,

So you cannot see the problem of landfilling tons of waste in non-compostable bags? I give up too.

One example of a wild animal that we have turned into a disease ridden pest is the European Rock Dove (admittedly an omnivore), probably better known as the Street Pigeon or Flying Rat to those who blame it for its reputation rather than the humans who feed it filth.

You could also include rats, foxes and any other species that, as we deprive it of habitat, moves in with us and eats our rubbish, so we can then call it vermin.

I would be far more concerned about concentrating all that dog waste in one place than distributing it evenly to biodegrade relatively harmlessly in low concentrations.

• Greenie 1

Just go up the GU through Southall now that is filth , i went from Devizes to Uxbridge and that was the worst , be ok if you fell in though because you could just walk on the rubbish . Managed to pick up a bed sheet around the prop , have to say i do not think its boaters that are dumping there though .

Once upon a time when we all as kids played in the street the pavements were literally littered with dog poo, especially along the front garden hedges and fences, but will all took the poo ''not home'' but for granted and thought nothing of it.

We'd play all the usual street games like Hop Scotch, Marbles ''though I lost mine ages ago'' five stones and many other games most of which involved groveling about on the pavement or gutter. We were also always knocking up different soapbox carts or ''Trolleys'' we called em. Anyway all these games ect were played in close contact with the ground and therefore needless to say we were forever treading in dog poo, tumbling off our trolleys and rolling in dog poo, everything we did had to be worked around the dog poo. The poo was always at its worst and stickiest when fresh on a hot day so we always kept a keen eye on all the little Mongrel dogs that seemed to be always trotting about and to make mental notes of where they did it. During a heatwave the dog poo problem didn't seem quite so bad as it quickly dried up and the hot sun leached out the brown colour and left it a sort of bleached crumbly white colour that resembled quite a tasty looking Merangue cake. Yes we were quite fond of it, it was part of the scene although a bit of a hazard but we would have genuinely missed it if it hadn't been there. I honestly can't remember a single day going by when we didn't go in without having made contact somehow or other with the dog poo. What with my memories of folk all smelling of stew and kids stinking of dog poo it was quite a smellious childhood really. I don't remember any kids catching any terrible diseases because of it though. smile.png

• Greenie 1

A couple of days ago, on my way to Chester, I watched a bloke walking along the towpath with one of those litter pickers, systematically searching for and then picking up and flicking into the canal every piece of dog shit he could find and he was finding a lot!

I half opened my mouth to remonstrate then thought better of it as it occurred to me that it was possibly better off in the cut than on the bottom of my shoes or in my boat.

It occurred to me (too late) that I could have applauded his devotion to public services and suggested bagging it instead of putting it into the canal but to be honest I would need to know that what he was doing was actually that harmful. Does anyone know or have a compelling argument about the harmfulness or otherwise, I mean does the dog shit harm the aquatic life.

I know some canal water like that on the Gloucester & Sharpness is directly extracted to supply drinking water (in that case for Bristol) and that would no doubt make anyone dumping think twice but what about canals in general? What are the facts?

Is it at least an illegal offence?

I have seen many dog walkers flicking dog shit into the canal, I once asked a dog walker who was obviously unaware that I was a boater, where the nearest dog bin was (I have a dog) and he calmly suggested I just put a stone in the bottom of my doggy bag and throw it in the canal, adding that he did it all the time, I did have a go at him (the plastic pollution made it unquestionably wrong) and he was suitably embarrassed.

On a more general note, I think if we want a cleaner environment to boat in and lets face it there are some pretty ‘shity’ area’s of the canal network, we have to be more pro-active. On a visit to Stoke at the beginning of the year, I noticed huge amounts of rubbish in the canal on the southern approach to the city (I have untangled more from my prop in this area than anywhere else) and a lot of it seemed to be coming from a couple of small business parks. Last week when I passed through the same area I noticed it was unchanged so I took the details of the businesses and the area and e-mailed them to CRT, the City environment dept. and the local paper. CRT responded brilliantly and sent someone to the area to investigate within 24 hours, Stoke city council environment protection initially replied that it was nothing to do with them until I asked why they chose a picture of narrow boats as a header on their web site, then said they would investigate. I am very interested to see if anything has or will actually get cleaned up.

I know that Maffi on here is a long standing campaigner against people who rubbish the canals and towpath and like him I do pick up and properly dispose of a lot of rubbish on my travels, I wonder if enough boaters did this, the problem could be solved?

If you put a lot of solid mammal waste in the canal it does cause a problem for the aquatic life as it has a Biochemical Oxygen Demand. I don't know any more than that but it is a problem. However when i had a dog i did throw it in the canal.

edited for technical correction

Edited by magnetman

If you put a lot of solid mammal waste in the canal it does cause a problem for the aquatic life as it has a Bio Oxygen Demand. I don't know any more than that but it is a problem. However when i had a dog i did throw it in the canal.

Dead or alive?

My old man tells me when he were a kid ( in the 40s?) he used to swim in the canal and boaters would toss him a line and drag him behind. He'd hold on with one hand and push the dead dogs and cats away with the other. True? Or myth? I dunno. But it was in Nuneaton, so, I believe it.

I once put the elsan into a plastic bag, and inside a wheelie suitcase..wheeled it into a train station, paid 30p to get through the "gates" and ...erm....emptied it into a toilet. (We use a LOT of chemicals, so their was no smell...but erm....the guy in the next cubicle may have thought I had a serious case of the runs.)

I am very sorry. It was either that...or dump it in the canal. ;-)

I once put the elsan into a plastic bag, and inside a wheelie suitcase..wheeled it into a train station, paid 30p to get through the "gates" and ...erm....emptied it into a toilet. (We use a LOT of chemicals, so their was no smell...but erm....the guy in the next cubicle may have thought I had a serious case of the runs.)

I am very sorry. It was either that...or dump it in the canal. ;-)

I thought for a moment you were going to put it in one of them lockers and leave it

What you could have done:

Caught a train and poured it down their toilet and left it on a track line somewhere.

Which reminds me

I caught a train from Moscow to Vladivostok.

The woman who looked after the carriage would collect the rubbish from the compartments and the bins every day. She'd then sort out the plastic bottles from the other stuff.

She'd then throw the plastic bottles out of the train window, one by one.

Siberian recycling!

Edited by Goliath