Featured Posts

" Hilarious" . Yes I did see your reply Martin, before you deleted it! Get a life.

It was actually 'hysterical' to be 100% correct.

and for the avoidance of confusion for anybody else this is nothing to do with the posts immediately above.

Edited by The Dog House

I too have fallen in many times and have learnt to keep my mouth shut, its not hard!

Most lake, ditch, river, stream, canal and reservoir water would make people sick if consumed. Our bodies are not used to algae and other diseases in the water. The k n a in some places is a disgusting, soup coloured gloop, has nothing to do with sewers or shit. Its a stagnant ditch with not alot of flow, what do you expect?

Get over yourself and be more careful

• Greenie 1

I too have fallen in many times and have learnt to keep my mouth shut, its not hard!

Most lake, ditch, river, stream, canal and reservoir water would make people sick if consumed. Our bodies are not used to algae and other diseases in the water. The k n a in some places is a disgusting, soup coloured gloop, has nothing to do with sewers or shit. Its a stagnant ditch with not alot of flow, what do you expect?

Get over yourself and be more careful

I have so far only fallen in once and it all happened so very quickly I have no recollection of thinking 'oh in I go, I must ensure my mouth is closed'. Is this closed mouth technique something you acquire with practice?? Edited by The Dog House

No, it's a reflex.

So how come the op ingested some canal water, even closing your mouth will not prevent water entering your digestive tract, particularly as there is normally no way to seal your nose unless you think to pinch your nostrils as you go in.

Edited by The Dog House

• 2 years later...

Getting, belatedly, back to the original thread. It's a bit unfair to pick on the K&A as there are idiots in every area (photographed and unphotographed) who pollute the waterways and I really don't believe the description of open sewer is in any case accurate.

I have swum deliberately and accidentally in the K&A on a number of occasions and ingested its water as a result. To date I have suffered no ill effects although I realise that there are ill effects aplenty just waiting to leap out at me. Many locks on the K&A play host to recreational bathersthrough the warmer months so I suppose the more exposure you get to these things the luckier you get - or perhaps it's that phenomenum of built up resistance. My advice to the op would be to avoid falling in to any waterway in future or at least next time keep their mouth shut.

Yes I know there are life threatening nasties in there, but you can't expect rats to pee in a bucket.

Oh, and yes I realise I was probably just repeating what has already been said, but in my defence I can only say that

a ) I couldn't be bothered to read all 7 pages before posting

b ) If something needs saying there's nothing wrong with repetition

c ) I just found out who it was...

A bike isn't just for xmas

Having recently had to "rescue" a large and very stupid dog from a lock, I was surprised at the fact I wasn't at all ill afterwards! I did come straight back to the boat, have a hot shower, dress the cut on my foot and drink a bottle of coke.

I just remembered a canoeist telling me to do that once.

Can't generalise about canals, but rivers in the north are cleaner than they've been for a century and in some case, two. In the 60s and 70s anyone fishing had to take acres of toilet paper, tampons, prophylactics and solid human waste in their stride. Now trout, grayling and sometimes salmon inhabit city centre rivers that were dead to all but the most primitive forms of life.

The semi-static nature of canal water means whatever goes in tends to linger until it is removed or rots down. Some people would **** on their own doorstep.

strange that waterways are cleaner now than they ever were, yet the population apparently suffers from all sorts of diseases that my generation had never even heard of.

when I was a teenager in the 60's I was a regular canoeist and I swam in the Thames at Reading nearly every day for at least 3 years as part of my fitness regime, and I never suffered as much as a dose of flu.

I reckon that these new diseases were 'invented' since that time.

strange that waterways are cleaner now than they ever were, yet the population apparently suffers from all sorts of diseases that my generation had never even heard of.

when I was a teenager in the 60's I was a regular canoeist and I swam in the Thames at Reading nearly every day for at least 3 years as part of my fitness regime, and I never suffered as much as a dose of flu.

I reckon that these new diseases were 'invented' since that time.

Yes I canoed for years and was never ill but wouldnt want to fall into my canal

Peter

Concerning the biodegradable poo bags that have ofttimes been mentioned. I rather suspect that that the bags are plastic but have starch incorporated so that they indeed degrade but to nasty microscopic bits of plastic that do much harm to various forms of biota.

N

Concerning the biodegradable poo bags that have ofttimes been mentioned. I rather suspect that that the bags are plastic but have starch incorporated so that they indeed degrade but to nasty microscopic bits of plastic that do much harm to various forms of biota.

N

Yes, I've got to be honest, rightly or wrongly (until recently) I always use to let my Charlie's deposits lay if in a Woodland, Scrubland etc, and pick up and Throw under hedge/hedgerow or thickets etc if on tow path, or anywhere someone could most likely walk, but I used Paper bags, Only using the normal plastic bags if somewhere unfamiliar or built up areas,,My thinking was it's a bit better.yes I know,,,Can of worms and all that.

I've got my Tin hat and Popcorn ready !

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

stick and flick when I walk on paths through our local woodland parks.

but if someone is in view I use a bag because there is a self-righteous (mainly female) movement among the dog walking brigade who follow the instructions on the warning signs religiously and bag their doggy's poos even if it means wading into the undergrowth to find it. If you don't follow the 'norm' you soon get a reputation for not picking up and then they will blame you for any poo found on the path after your dog has walked past. These good ladies do not understand the real environmental issues.

Could this new Conservative government not forget about fox hunting and invent hippy hunting?

Any smelly hippy emptying an Elsan into the K&A gets the Doberman treatment?

CRT could be sued for discrimination - chasing up some but letting the Great Unwashed Pot-Smokers unbovvered?

Oh, I forgot, they are against nukes. So they have the right to sponge.

Good thing about the K&A is that it's furry rat free. Rats despise lentils and tofu.

• Greenie 2