Stunning Canal Barge Ware Gypsy Art Hand Painted Bucket

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Hello Harley, Your bucket is indeed stunning! I think it would look lovely on the roof of my boat with the logs and the bags of coal and beer cans and finish off the "pikey boater" look I have been trying to achieve.

Please tell me that this wasn't someone from here. :rolleyes:

Edited by Starcoaster

Ooh you could cover the bottom with fake rivets, that'll solve the leaks, a hudson inspired water can!!

Ah, Hudson boats.

You could start a new thread on this subject very easily. We first spotted two at the 2007 Crick Boat Show. It was the vast amount of fake rivets around the hull that first attracted our attention. Oh, and the over engineered oversized rudder and Swan's neck caught our eye too, together with the 14 foot swims fore and aft. What ridiculous looking boats they were. So ridiculous that you had to queue up just to get a chance to look into one. All of this when you could simply walk straight into most of the other fine examples on display.

God only knows what all of the attention was about. We finally got to see the inside of one of the 'modern' versions after a considerable waiting time. The interior fit-out was outrageously decked out with chunky oak trim and robust cabinets. You could tell by the shallow concave deck head that there were too many box section lattice work reinforcements, it was so obvious. The thoughtful interior design left nothing to the imagination.

And then to the engine room. Craftily hidden, beneath tightly fitted deck boards, was one of those useless Beta 43 marine engines. I've heard so many bad tales about them and their unreliability concerns, it beggars belief that a boat builder would bother using one. And then there's the problem of servicing the blasted thing every time it breaks down. There were access panels that would actually let you carry out even the most awkward service schedules by just removing four wood screws. Can you believe it!

Then, after being hurried out by more potential customers, we crossed over to their traditional class boat. This was even worse than the modern styled equivalent. As before, there was robust and chunky woodwork abound and finished off to a high standard. It was a joke really. Near the blunt end of the boat was a big chunky engine that had audaciously polished brass work all over the place. This was housed in a compartment with strange looking paintwork that resembled old grained wood. From there we entered what we could only describe as a museum piece. All sorts of little drawers and a pull down cabinet door with daft pictures of roses and castles. No one in their right mind would wish to have such a monstrosity called a boatman's cabin would they?

Anyway, after struggling past even more people who were queuing up to get in, we told the bald headed guy - I think his name was Steve - what we thought of his stupid looking boats. The silly sod invited us to his open day later that year and guess what? Like a pair of plonkers, we went along. There, once again, we were met with crowds of nosey gets who only came along, like us, for a free cup of tea. You can imagine our faces when during the day and only after they'd been shown around boats in various stages of the build process, these same people were giving the same bald guy money as deposits for him to build them one of his daft boats.

Well, not wanting to be outdone by all of this, we gave him a few quid too!

And here we are, the embarrassed owners of a Steve Hudson boat that invites ridicule wherever we take her. Some people even liken his boats, or their sticky-up bows, to a winkle picker, can you imagine that. :rolleyes:

Edited by Doorman

Ah, Hudson boats.

You could start a new thread on this subject very easily. We first spotted two at the 2007 Crick Boat Show. It was the vast amount of fake rivets around the hull that first attracted our attention. Oh, and the over engineered oversized rudder and Swan's neck caught our eye too, together with the 14 foot swims fore and aft. What ridiculous looking boats they were. So ridiculous that you had to queue up just to get a chance to look into one. All of this when you could simply walk straight into most of the other fine examples on display.

God only knows what all of the attention was about. We finally got to see the inside of one of the 'modern' versions after a considerable waiting time. The interior fit-out was outrageously decked out with chunky oak trim and robust cabinets. You could tell by the shallow concave deck head that there were too many box section lattice work reinforcements, it was so obvious. The thoughtful interior design left nothing to the imagination.

And then to the engine room. Craftily hidden, beneath tightly fitted deck boards, was one of those useless Beta 43 marine engines. I've heard so many bad tales about them and their unreliability concerns, it beggars belief that a boat builder would bother using one. And then there's the problem of servicing the blasted thing every time it breaks down. There were access panels that would actually let you carry out even the most awkward service schedules by just removing four wood screws. Can you believe it!

Then, after being hurried out by more potential customers, we crossed over to their traditional class boat. This was even worse than the modern styled equivalent. As before, there was robust and chunky woodwork abound and finished off to a high standard. It was a joke really. Near the blunt end of the boat was a big chunky engine that had audaciously polished brass work all over the place. This was housed in a compartment with strange looking paintwork that resembled old grained wood. From there we entered what we could only describe as a museum piece. All sorts of little drawers and a pull down cabinet door with daft pictures of roses and castles. No one in their right mind would wish to have such a monstrosity called a boatman's cabin would they?

Anyway, after struggling past even more people who were queuing up to get in, we told the bald head guy - I think his name was Steve - what we thought of his stupid looking boats. The silly sod invited us to his open day later that year and guess what? Like a pair of plonkers, we went along. There, once again, we were met with crowds of nosey gets who only came along, like us, for a free cup of tea. You can imagine our faces when during the day and only after they'd been shown around boats in various stages of the build process, these same people were giving the same bald guy money as deposits for him to build them one of his daft boats.

And here we are, the embarrassed owners of a Steve Hudson boat that invites ridicule wherever we take her. Some people even liken his boats, or their sticky-up hulls, to a winkle picker, can you imagine that. :rolleyes:

I would use apolloduck rather than eBay if you are selling her with the bucket.

I would use apolloduck rather than eBay if you are selling her with the bucket.

I considered that, but looking at how badly these boats sell on the second hand market, I don't think that I'd even make the reserve price! :P

And here we are, the embarrassed owners of a Steve Hudson boat that invites ridicule wherever we take her.

Congratulations!

Please feel free to join the Hudson owners on the forum that regularly complain about their boats bouncing along on the bottom, or not being able to get them close enough to the edge except where moorings are very deep.

Hopefully you at least went for the traditional option, with the big very shiny slow thumper Gardner, or whatever, because it would be a shame to be putting up with a deep draughted boat with nothing other than a Beta 43 buzzing away at the back to show for it, wouldn't it? I mean you could be slipping along swiftly, unaware of where the bottom actually is, and have a lot more pound notes left over to spend on beer, because you'll spend longer in the pub, and less time on the shoals.

Did the bald guy tell you the cabin at the back is called a "boatman's cabin", because, curiously enough, it is a term coined by people like the bald guy. Strangely enough boatmen used to just call them a "cabin", or a "back cabin", because they knew they were for the boatmen, but I suppose it is nice to spell it out to owners of these new boats!

(Sorry, couldn't resist - I must find another hobby!....)

Someone should buy it before the next banter.

Then, the plan is to sneak it onto someone's boat without them noticing... Until the next banter, when it gets passed on.

oo I'm almost tempted by this idea

hmmm

Congratulations!

Please feel free to join the Hudson owners on the forum that regularly complain about their boats bouncing along on the bottom, or not being able to get them close enough to the edge except where moorings are very deep.

Hopefully you at least went for the traditional option, with the big very shiny slow thumper Gardner, or whatever, because it would be a shame to be putting up with a deep draughted boat with nothing other than a Beta 43 buzzing away at the back to show for it, wouldn't it? I mean you could be slipping along swiftly, unaware of where the bottom actually is, and have a lot more pound notes left over to spend on beer, because you'll spend longer in the pub, and less time on the shoals.

Did the bald guy tell you the cabin at the back is called a "boatman's cabin", because, curiously enough, it is a term coined by people like the bald guy. Strangely enough boatmen used to just call them a "cabin", or a "back cabin", because they knew they were for the boatmen, but I suppose it is nice to spell it out to owners of these new boats!

(Sorry, couldn't resist - I must find another hobby!....)

:lol:

No problem Alan, it was all tongue in cheek as you well know.

They do put a tidy dent in your bow though don't they? :P

Someone should buy it before the next banter.

Then, the plan is to sneak it onto someone's boat without them noticing... Until the next banter, when it gets passed on.

oo I'm almost tempted by this idea

hmmm

I think the way we have talked this item up in the Questio and Answers section on his listing, this guy now thinks he has something quite rare. I can'y see him now letting it go for just £6 and a fiver or so of postage.

I mean, it may be a genuine "Bella Fontay" plant watering bucket, up to a century old, aimed at the "shiny boater" market......

:lol:

No problem Alan, it was all tongue in cheek as you well know.

They do put a tidy dent in your bow though don't they? :P

Yep indeed, usually because they maintain the only place they can be is right down the middle of the cut, without moving over, of course! :cheers:

I think the way we have talked this item up in the Questio and Answers section on his listing, this guy now thinks he has something quite rare. I can'y see him now letting it go for just £6 and a fiver or so of postage.

I mean, it may be a genuine "Bella Fontay" plant watering bucket, up to a century old, aimed at the "shiny boater" market......

Yep indeed, usually because they maintain the only place they can be is right down the middle of the cut, without moving over, of course! :cheers:

I'm waiting to see if it makes it to The Antiques Rogue Show next year.

Yep you can usually tell from the movement of the boat whether they are moving over or not, I love it. "This is hired lad, come on bring it on". I'll just look for the bucket now before moving throttle forward :P nearest one to in cheek!

It gets better.......listing has been updated to add

"I have just been passed another canal art piece from the same source"

Slightly worrying, as the original listing stated the bucket came from his LATE Uncle :blink::unsure:

Clearly the uncle had kicked the bucket.