Stunning Canal Barge Ware Gypsy Art Hand Painted Bucket

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

I like the Q&A at the bottom...

"Q: Hi Harley- - - - Looking at the photographs - there would appear to be loads of holes in the base - - doesn't it mean that the bucket won't hold water? I look forward to hearing from you"

I like the Q&A at the bottom...

"Q: Hi Harley- - - - Looking at the photographs - there would appear to be loads of holes in the base - - doesn't it mean that the bucket won't hold water? I look forward to hearing from you"

Answer......

Hello. You're quite right,it doesn't hold water, it's purely decorative,I think most of the paint would come off if it was used to hold water too. Thanks for asking the question though, I neglected to mention it in the advert,which I will do now.. Have a pleasant weekend ... Regards..Harley..B.

Dear harleypb123,

With the current upturn in values of historic painted canalware, can you date this piece, and do you have any more items of a similar nature ? Also, I believe this is one of the original early 1900's plant watering buckets developed for the emerging shiny boat brigade, the holes there to act as a sprinkler, can you verify this?

dear matty

I'm afraid I cannot supply any further information on the bucket,all I know is that It was bought by my late Uncle in his travels many years ago. My Grandfather worked the canals till he passed away in the late 1940,s . he had, I believe 6 shire horses and of course his barge, iin which he carried coaletc. around the canals . Sorry I can't be of more help...Harley..B.

- harleypb123

;)

He has ammended the details to "I am led to believe that the bucket would probably been used for plant watering purposes (hence the holes)"

You really couldn't invent this syory, if it were not happening for real, could you!

Look what you have started, Matty!

I have absolutely no idea if the seller is seeing the funny side of any of this, but I'm gob-smacked I've actually got away with this!

Q: Hi Harley, I'm not absolutely certain, but I think a bucket in the style pictured may well be attributable to the painter Bella Fontay who is sometimes known for this type of work.

A: Hello, Thanks for the information,all opinions are gratefully recieved. Take care my friend...Regards...Harley..B.

I wasn't prepared to risk "Harry Bella Fontay"!

• Greenie 3

This could well be one of a pair.

The other one would have just had one hole in the centre of the bottom. :rolleyes:

Of course there may have been a sugar bowl and a sauce boat to make it a full set. :lol:

I'll take that with a pinch of salt, Mr. House.

I have absolutely no idea if the seller is seeing the funny side of any of this, but I'm gob-smacked I've actually got away with this!

Very neat, and gets a well-merited greeno.

I didn't realise that you were into this hip urban black music, Mr. F!

:cheers:

Wouldn't it look nice on Willow? I say "on" because I would be sneaky and stick it to the roof overnight with a couple of tubes of marineflex right where your water can would go, a parting gift from the friendly moorers at Langley Mill! ! ;)

Someone should buy it before the next banter.

Then, the plan is to sneak it onto someone's boat without them noticing... Until the next banter, when it gets passed on.

'When it gets passed on'

I had to read that last bit twice before the penny dropped.

Wouldn't it look nice on Willow? I say "on" because I would be sneaky and stick it to the roof overnight with a couple of tubes of marineflex right where your water can would go, a parting gift from the friendly moorers at Langley Mill! ! ;)

:glare: I'd cut a hole in e roof to remove it.....