Stolen Boat

saltysplash

Featured Posts

Hi there,

I've been following Dorothea's little adventure and glad she's been found. We owned her many years ago and the kids, dog, hubby & I spent some wonderful years of pleasure on the water. She was our first narrowboat after moving from a cruiser and was filled with lace, paint & giggles....xx

I hope the owner gives her some love & affection........she has a spirit............xx

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Our first narrowboat was a 40' cruiser stern with heaps of character. The previous owners were an older couple (just like us two fossils) and you could sense the atmosphere within the cabin that was full of warmth and no doubt held some wonderful memories for them. Sadly, due to deteriorating health, they had to abandon ship and trudge back to dry land on the bank.

We also had some brilliant times on this little beauty. Our final voyage was in cruising her some 86 miles towards Audlem to be placed on the brokerage at Overwater Marina, where she sold after just three days on sale there. We too hope that the new owners treat her with affection and have many happy trips on board 'our' boat. When you sell a boat -especially your first one- you leave a little bit of yourselves amongst the interior details and decor. :wub:

Mike

Edited by Doorman

Looks like she had a fair list on her even then .... so it hasn't got significantly worse, maybe its the loo needing a pump out :captain:

There's another boat just like this on the cover of Towpath Talk this month... It also had a slight list.. Perhaps a design thing? A freind of mine built his own boat, called Harmonia (moored in Oxford - still there AFAIK).. He put the water tank on one side of the boat, which meant there was a whole range of listing angles depending on how full the tank was...

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Our first narrowboat was a 40' cruiser stern with heaps of character. The previous owners were an older couple (just like us two fossils) and you could sense the atmosphere within the cabin that was full of warmth and no doubt held some wonderful memories for them. Sadly, due to deteriorating health, they had to abandon ship and trudge back to dry land on the bank.

We also had some brilliant times on this little beauty. Our final voyage was in cruising her some 86 miles towards Audlem to be placed on the brokerage at Overwater Marina, where she sold after just three days on sale there. We too hope that the new owners treat her with affection and have many happy trips on board 'our' boat. When you sell a boat -especially your first one- you leave a little bit of yourselves amongst the interior details and decor. :wub:

Mike

Yes they become a special part of your life's memories...xx

this boat passed me today being towed by a W H H tug, going north, probably going up to the stink hole ( springwell lock ) did we find out if it was actually stolen ?

This is a current theft investigation so cant say too much that might jepordise any result either way, but its enough to say the boat has been recovered and is due for a refit.

• 8 years later...

Hi, 

I know this post was originally created 7 years ago, however I am desperately wanting to find out the whereabouts of this lovely boat. 
She was our family boat many years ago and we have so many found memories of her. 
Does anyone know if she is still around? 
Picture of what she used to look like. 
Thank you. 

170E1A1F-CE00-48C5-936C-DD609AC73BF7.jpeg

Sorry, I can’t help you. But may I suggest you start a new thread with a more apt title such as “Does anyone know the whereabouts of nb Dorothea” - since presumably the boat isn’t currently stolen, I don’t think it fits this thread title. With the right thread title, I think you are more likely to get a “hit”.

Edited by nicknorman

6 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Sorry, I can’t help you. But may I suggest you start a new thread with a more apt title such as “Does anyone know the whereabouts of nb Dorothea” - since presumably the boat isn’t currently stolen, I don’t think it fits this thread title. With the right thread title, I think you are more likely to get a “hit”.

Reported to Police and CaRT today is the Narrow Boat DOROTHEA

Reg No 68702

described as 40ft red and yellow in very bad condition as it was slightly sunk.

34 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Reported to Police and CaRT today is the Narrow Boat DOROTHEA

Reg No 68702

described as 40ft red and yellow in very bad condition as it was slightly sunk.

Well yes but that was 8 years ago. Not "today".

28 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Is it possible that it could have disappeared 'vertically' rather than have been stolen ?

After 8 years it has probably turned into a pile of rust and been blown away on the wind!

Well I have just read all through  this thread and the latest update was it was being towed away and needed a refit, no one has reported anything later. I have just put the registration number  68702 into the C&RT licence checker and its not recognised 

9 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Well I have just read all through  this thread and the latest update was it was being towed away and needed a refit, no one has reported anything later. I have just put the registration number  68702 into the C&RT licence checker and its not recognised 

It might have moved to EA waters.

Dorothea Built by Fernie - Length : 12.19 metres ( 40 feet ) - Beam : 2.04 metres ( 6 feet 8 inches ) - Draft : 0.45 metres ( 1 foot 6 inches ). Metal hull N/A power of 13 HP. Registered with Canal & River Trust number 68702 as a Powered Motor Boat.  ( Last updated on Wednesday 22nd May 2013 )

• 4 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

From Facebook another stolen boat, it sounds familiar, paid a deposit then took the boat, I'll let you decide 

image.png.c77c9a4ebe8136fcf8908a9d50a16682.png

One would have thought that having paid a deposit, the seller would have noted the buyers name, address, car reg no etc.

Or,

Maybe it is someone else, who viewed the boat and 'came back later'.

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

One would have thought that having paid a deposit, the seller would have noted the buyers name, address, car reg no etc.

Or,

Maybe it is someone else, who viewed the boat and 'came back later'.

Perhaps this is another one where they have reason to suspect that the person making off with the boat will show police a "look, I got the keys and a piece of paper saying I paid good money for it" and rely on it being a "civil matter" the current owners don't have the wherewithal to pursue him through the courts to prove that £2k was not the final settlement.

Recent stories of 4mph chases ending at locks suggest other candidate thieves aren't likely to get as far...

26 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

Perhaps this is another one where they have reason to suspect that the person making off with the boat will show police a "look, I got the keys and a piece of paper saying I paid good money for it" and rely on it being a "civil matter" the current owners don't have the wherewithal to pursue him through the courts to prove that £2k was not the final settlement.

That was my thoughts as well

A receipt should show that this is a deposit, and the balance to be paid and by what date,

"Receipt for £2000 as part payment for NB XXY, leaving a balance to be paid of £98,000 which must be paid by 1/6/21 or the deposit will be forfeit"

Bet they wouldn't use that to prove to the Police that they have paid the full amount

58 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

A receipt should show that this is a deposit, and the balance to be paid and by what date,

"Receipt for £2000 as part payment for NB XXY, leaving a balance to be paid of £98,000 which must be paid by 1/6/21 or the deposit will be forfeit"

Bet they wouldn't use that to prove to the Police that they have paid the full amount

That does assume that the distressed family of the deceased owner had the knowledge and the foresight to know that such a wording would give them some protection. From the regular queries that come up on here it is clear that not everyone does.