Stolen Boat

saltysplash

Featured Posts

I just feel deeply uncomfortable that normally when a boat is reported stolen the wonderful forum brigade kicks in with a "we will find it" attitude. A scruffy looking boat seems to be dispensable and not worth the effort. No offence intended to The Bitch who has explained her post, but it does sadden me.

We've been told off by a passing boater who informed us that it was a crime that we'd allowed our Doug Moore boat to "get in such a state". Yes, our paintwork is tired, but all our efforts have been focussed on turning a holiday boat with bugger all storage into a comfortable liveaboard. It was the previous owner that allowed the exterior to deteriorate - for all he knew we could have bought the boat yesterday!

We're not in the area so can't look for this boat but please lets get the forum towpath army mobilised regardless of how pretty the boat is.

Though I do wonder from Jenlyn's post whether it's too late for that :(

Edited by Ange

I had a look on my way home at a possible location for the boat, but its pitch black down there and I couldn't make out boats properly on the opposite bank. I will take a look again in the morning after doing the school run and in the meantime the local police have the location and may well take a look tonight but unless the boat is still in its original colours and they have a powerful dragon light they probably wont get a result.

I actually thought what character Dorothea has, ok so the paintwork is a little tired, but so is Carrie~Lou's

It should certainly be a lot easier to find than one of the clone boats where people struggle to find something unique to identify it by apart from just the colour. That is one reason why I think there is a good chance that she will (or maybe even has) been located fast.

I am rather glad there are still plenty of older boats which ooze character on our canals. If I was in the ara I would be helping. Fingers crossed for a good outcome

Why did the owner report it stolen if it was being scrapped? Was it being scrapped with his permission?

Point 1. I am not a mind reader, so I cannot comment on the what's, who's and why's.

Point 2. I saw the post on here enquiring to the boats whereabouts, I then stated what I saw happening at the time I saw the boat. I have reported it to the relevant authority, and also informed saltysplash of what was going on.

I will leave the postmortem to those on here who most revel in such moments!

Point 1. I am not a mind reader, so I cannot comment on the what's, who's and why's.

Point 2. I saw the post on here enquiring to the boats whereabouts, I then stated what I saw happening at the time I saw the boat. I have reported it to the relevant authority, and also informed saltysplash of what was going on.

I can uhderstand why you would not want to divulge infomation that is personal to the owner, and something we do not need to know, but if you know that the boat is not actually missing any more, it would be helpful to say so, in order to stop people from searching for it.

Edited by David Schweizer

I can uhderstand why you would not want to divulge infomation that is personal to the owner, and something we do not need to know, but if you know that the boat is not actually missing any more, it would be helpful to say so, in order to stop people from searching for it.

I cannot make that assumption, until such time as salty or the police state it's been recovered. I only stated the facts.

I just feel deeply uncomfortable that normally when a boat is reported stolen the wonderful forum brigade kicks in with a "we will find it" attitude. A scruffy looking boat seems to be dispensable and not worth the effort. No offence intended to The Bitch who has explained her post, but it does sadden me.

To be fair, most people were reacting to Salty's original post, where the boat was memorably described as "in very bad condition as it was slightly sunk" and had nothing else to go on. There certainly are boats that fit that description on the system and that are unarguably dispensible. From the photo which emerged later Dorothea isn't in that class.

MP.

Jesus, surely a boat is not habitable in that condition?

Because it needs a paint job on the outside?

I used to get the same sneering, judgemental comments from narrow minded idiots walking past my wooden boat, not knowing that underneath the tarps was a fitout done to a professional standard.

Have you ever heard the expression "Don't judge a book by its cover?"

From the photo which emerged later Dorothea isn't in that class.

The photo is linked from the very first post.

We've been told off by a passing boater who informed us that it was a crime that we'd allowed our Doug Moore boat to "get in such a state". Yes, our paintwork is tired, but all our efforts have been focussed on turning a holiday boat with bugger all storage into a comfortable liveaboard. It was the previous owner that allowed the exterior to deteriorate - for all he knew we could have bought the boat yesterday!

We're not in the area so can't look for this boat but please lets get the forum towpath army mobilised regardless of how pretty the boat is.

Though I do wonder from Jenlyn's post whether it's too late for that :(

As a fellow owner of a scruffy paint job boat, I agree entirely. I'd be very upset if I was in that position

The canals are full of weird and wonderful boats and weird and wonderful people., and that should be celebrated. There is no place for snobbery on the canals, and definitely not when someone's boat has been stolen.

In the absence of anything else certain

Dorothea:

2862218_8512aa33.jpg

Richard

Is this showing it "partly sunk" or is this just for reference? My boat lists like that when the loo tank is pumped out!

Only if you tell me what needs to be explained about it.

The obvious contradiction between the owner reporting it stolen and your assertion that it is being scrapped. How do you know it is being dismantled for scrap legitimately? And if it is, the board should be reassured that the boat no longer needs 'saving'.

MtB

I've seen on Facebook somebody reporting that he thinks this boat is moored at Cowley. The boat he's seen has fresh paint on it below the gunwale front and rear but he thinks he saw Dorothea on it when he first saw it.

A few people on Fb telling him to report it to the police so i guess he has done.

Apologies for my original comment on the state of the boat. Yes i do realise it could be a completely different story on the inside, i've just never seen a boat like that before so was shocked.

Your poo tank is so big I'm surprised the boat doesn't roll on its side when it's pumped out.

:lol::clapping::lol:

I do have to move stuff around to make the list bearable, until the tank starts to fill again. Can you imagine what it would be like if I'd kept the second tank!? :blink: It would be like the Buttered Cat paradox and just keep rolling.

Incidentally, I think Douglas Adams isn't really dead and might be writing for Wikipedia:

"In reality, cats do possess the ability to turn themselves right side up in mid-air if they should fall upside-down, known as the cat righting reflex, which enables them to land on their feet if dropped from sufficient height (about 30 cm (12 in)). Toast, however, lacks both the ability and the desire to right itself."

• Greenie 1

As a fellow owner of a scruffy paint job boat, I agree entirely. I'd be very upset if I was in that position

The canals are full of weird and wonderful boats and weird and wonderful people., and that should be celebrated. There is no place for snobbery on the canals, and definitely not when someone's boat has been stolen.

Is this showing it "partly sunk" or is this just for reference? My boat lists like that when the loo tank is pumped out!

No, it was sunk proper when I passed it in alperton last week. It was on the offside near sainsbury's. When I passed it in Uxbridge on Wednesday, it was in a pretty bad way. The picture you quote was taken at harlseden, probably last summer.

Apologies for my original comment on the state of the boat. Yes i do realise it could be a completely different story on the inside, i've just never seen a boat like that before so was shocked.

Fair enough.

If you haven't got much money then the priorities are: Stay afloat, stay warm, stay fed.

The rest is just icing.

......i've just never seen a boat like that before so was shocked.

Have you not done much boating on the canals then?

Unless I'm looking at a different picture to some of you, its no worse (externally) than huge numbers of boats around those parts, (and a whole lot smarter than many).

I don't think I've yet been on a canal where all the boats are shiny!

I cannot make that assumption, until such time as salty or the police state it's been recovered. I only stated the facts.

I'm sorry jenlyn I find your posts bizarre.. There's people wondering about the towpaths with torches trying to help you know something but won't explain what you know ?

you might have been better posting nothing imho.

• Greenie 2

No, it was sunk proper when I passed it in alperton last week.

That is not good news. :(

The realy sad thing is an old boat like this may not be economical to refit after a sinking. It is a shame when boats with character dissapear from the cut

Have you not done much boating on the canals then?

Unless I'm looking at a different picture to some of you, its no worse (externally) than huge numbers of boats around those parts, (and a whole lot smarter than many).

I don't think I've yet been on a canal where all the boats are shiny!

I blame it on too many years in the military. Everything has to be neat and shiney, polished and in the correct place. I also realise not everybody can live like this :-p

I'm sorry jenlyn I find your posts bizarre.. There's people wondering about the towpaths with torches trying to help you know something but won't explain what you know ?

What on earth are you on about?

Errm......

He has done exactly what was requested - he knows where the boat is, and have told those who need to know. If Saltysplash's day job is still what I think it is, (and even if it isn't), I have no doubt this is in safe hands.

I also seem to recall this is not the first time "Jenlyn" has been the one who knows where a boat claimed as missing is.

If I'm remembering right he has found two more reported boats than most of us ever have!

• Greenie 1