Stolen Boat

saltysplash

Featured Posts

Fair enough.

If you haven't got much money then the priorities are: Stay afloat, stay warm, stay fed.

The rest is just icing.

Sounds like unfortunately they failed at the first hurdle in this case

The owner reports his boat stolen. You state it is being scrapped. No further explanation. Bizarre.

MtB

Don't forget the later relevant snippet that was subsequently revealed that the boat was previously sunk.

Don't forget the later relevant snippet that was subsequently revealed that the boat was previously sunk.

If I had report my boat stolen, previously sunk or not, only to find via this forum it was being cut up for scrap, I'd be extremely upset about it.

MtB

The owner reports his boat stolen. You state it is being scrapped. No further explanation. Bizarre.

MtB

I can't see how this is bizarre. The boat went missing and the owner reported this to the Police. Jenlyn saw the boat which was in the process of being scrapped and several folk on here seem to have jumped to the conclusion that it is the owner who is scrapping it, after reporting it stolen. However, is it not possible that the boat was actually stolen by a third party who moved it along the canal and started scrapping it? I can't see how Jenlyn could know what the true story is but he correctly reported what he had seen to the proper authorities. It is up to them to investigate and decide whether it was a "proper" theft or not, surely.

Nothing bizarre in what Jenlyn has said, as far as I can see.

haggis

At the risk of being accused of conducting a post mortem, may I attempt to precis what appears to be happening:-

Saltysplash gave details of a boat reported as stolen, he did not actually ask for people to look for it, but it has been assumed that we were being asked.

Jenlyn reports that he saw the boat on the previous day, and has reported the wherabouts to the Authorities.

Jenlyn subsequently states that the boat is being scrapped

When asked for more infomation, Jenlyn declines to give any.

Various people both challenge and support Jenlyn.

Conclusion: The boat is reported as stolen, it might have or might not have been stolen, it might or might not be being scrapped.

Does that help?

Edited by David Schweizer

At the risk of being accused of conducting a post mortem, may I attempt to precis what appears to be happening:-

Saltysplash gave details of a boat reported as stolen, he did not actually ask for people to look for it, but it has been assumed that we were being asked.

Jenlyn reports that he saw the boat on the previous day, and has reported the wherabouts to the Authorities.

Conclusion: The boat is reported as stolen, it might have or might not have been stolen, it might or might not be being scrapped.

Does that help?

Excellent David, that summarises it nicely.

Forget the stolen boat, who cares what happening to it anyway?

MtB

Does that help?

Right, having found other boats in the past, I was advised at the time to give relevant info to the sighting without posting to much in the public domain. When passing the boat on Wednesday, I asked the chap on it if he was scrapping it. Yes he replied. This led me to assure salty on here, that the boat would not be moving from its present position. Thus saving him and others "running up and down towpaths with torches" looking for it. Now my mistake was posting that remark on here, rather than sending him a pm. I won't make the mistake again.

Jenlyn,

you reported to the relevant people the information that was helpful. Nothing else was required. Yes, it is human nature that we are all curious as to the details. It is not any of our business. If the forum was still required to assist in locating the boat then the clamour for more information would be accptable but the authorities know what they need to know and so it is time for us to but out and let them get on with sorting out the formailites.

I just hope that the owner has not lost out hugely financially in this sad affair.

:lol::clapping::lol:

I do have to move stuff around to make the list bearable, until the tank starts to fill again. Can you imagine what it would be like if I'd kept the second tank!? :blink: It would be like the Buttered Cat paradox and just keep rolling.

Incidentally, I think Douglas Adams isn't really dead and might be writing for Wikipedia:

"In reality, cats do possess the ability to turn themselves right side up in mid-air if they should fall upside-down, known as the cat righting reflex, which enables them to land on their feet if dropped from sufficient height (about 30 cm (12 in)). Toast, however, lacks both the ability and the desire to right itself."

So on your next boat painty, we can expect to see MabelStark renamed as PooBrickBallast.....

Oh that is SUCH a shame on so many levels. Dorothea was a lovely characterful boat which showed up in London around 5 or 6 years ago now. During that time, it has deteriorated a little faster than most other boats it's fair to say but there is nothing wrong with that boat that a little (a lot) of TLC won't fix. She's a really sweet boat.

The boat in question at Cowley is the reported stolen boat Dorothea, It has had a paint job but is the correct boat.

The local Police are dealing and Ive updated the owner with the current state of play.

He sends his thanks to all concerned for such a swift result.

He did walk the length last night but like me was unable to make out details due to the dark.

Before and after Pics

28622188512aa33.jpg

new paint job

1001248d.jpg

as you can see the details on the stern are unmistakable

My thanks to Jenlyn for his valuable contribution

Looks very much like a Fernie from the back.

Correct, I think....

DOROTHEA Built by FERNIE - Length 12.2 metres (40 feet ) - Beam 2.05 metres (6 feet 9 inches ) Metal hull, power of 13BHP. Registered with British Waterways number 68702 as a Powered. Last registration recorded on 19/04/2008

So someone rocks up, hotwires this boat, sails a few miles down the cut slapping on a coat of paint on the way and thought nobody would notice, did they really expect to get away with it? Do boats really disappear for ever like this surely not?

Oh that is SUCH a shame on so many levels. Dorothea was a lovely characterful boat which showed up in London around 5 or 6 years ago now. During that time, it has deteriorated a little faster than most other boats it's fair to say but there is nothing wrong with that boat that a little (a lot) of TLC won't fix. She's a really sweet boat.

I copied the posting about it missing to FaceBook and had one of her previous owners contact me.

So someone rocks up, hotwires this boat, sails a few miles down the cut slapping on a coat of paint on the way and thought nobody would notice, did they really expect to get away with it? Do boats really disappear for ever like this surely not?

Only Que Sera Sera as far as I know.

My partner has this theory for the canals, he says it brings out the pioneer spirit in people - probably because you don't need a license to drive your boat, people assume that it's free and easy, so you get stuff like this and stuff such as the man who built a narrowboat out of non-marine ply on the towpath and was hoping to float it. :D, I dunno if we get more of this in the London environs but it seems like it. Nothing really surprises me anymore. I feel as if I have seen it all, now.

The boat in question at Cowley is the reported stolen boat Dorothea, It has had a paint job but is the correct boat.

The local Police are dealing and Ive updated the owner with the current state of play.

He sends his thanks to all concerned for such a swift result.

He did walk the length last night but like me was unable to make out details due to the dark.

Before and after Pics

28622188512aa33.jpg

new paint job

1001248d.jpg

as you can see the details on the stern are unmistakable

My thanks to Jenlyn for his valuable contribution

The pontoon in this picture was a burnt out houseboat, it moved from the towpath to this same end of garden mooring.