Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, magnetman said:

It would look far better with a nice fake planked tug deck. 

I always thought Columba had the best front deck of them all. 

This sort of thing does it for me. 

C375DAA1-D637-4CCB-B564-4A2AEC4C634E.jpe

That’s my former boat Capricorn (which obviously I shouldn’t have sold!). Loose planks covering most of the well deck which gave the opportunity to be “in” the boat when at the front end rather than “on” it.  Disadvantage was the need to pump out the front end!

paul

• Greenie 2
  • Happy 1

21 minutes ago, Derek R. said:

Nice swim work on HYDRUS, but that awful ersatz 'dog kennel' as a cabin extension defies belief.

The whole boat look almost artificial. Might as well be a 'new build'.

While we we are criticising it I also think the guard irons are too thin. 

6 hours ago, magnetman said:

Nice job on the swim. 

It must be a very limited market. I'd want to see a black canvas over the front section of the cabin with some nice cotton rope work. 

I think that was probably the intent, but with the canvas going forwards from the conventional cabin shape to the cratch (once built of course) but also providing a section that was watertight and connected to the main conversion??

3 hours ago, Derek R. said:

Nice swim work on HYDRUS, but that awful ersatz 'dog kennel' as a cabin extension defies belief.

The whole boat look almost artificial. Might as well be a 'new build'.

Maybe, yes...but a 'new build' fully riveted hull, which is correctly proportioned and topped with engine room and back cabin in an 'as built' style with an additional sympathetic conversion..you couldn't commission that level of 'new build' for the same price now?

2 hours ago, magnetman said:

They look like two inch guards to my eyes.

6571369.jpg

Maybe its just because there is no fender to break up the view. 

Also the tunnel bands being the same colour is a bit of an illusion. 

Maybe its okay. 

Someone needs to go around there with a battering ram and whack some good dents in it. 

The slightly different dollies is a nice original touch. 

12 minutes ago, magnetman said:

6571369.jpg

Maybe its just because there is no fender to break up the view. 

Also the tunnel bands being the same colour is a bit of an illusion. 

Maybe its okay. 

Someone needs to go around there with a battering ram and whack some good dents in it. 

The slightly different dollies is a nice original touch. 

The gap at the bottom of the doors make it look like a semi trad

6 hours ago, Paul H said:

That’s my former boat Capricorn (which obviously I shouldn’t have sold!). Loose planks covering most of the well deck which gave the opportunity to be “in” the boat when at the front end rather than “on” it.  Disadvantage was the need to pump out the front end!

paul

That looks like a great arrangement, and a lovely boat in general. Did the planks just rest on a flange in the well deck? 

48 minutes ago, MtB said:

Strange-looking gaps above and below the back doors...

I think its just temporary doors and the gaps help with the ventilation. 

If it is an empty shell then ventilation is rather important. 

12 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I think its just temporary doors and the gaps help with the ventilation. 

If it is an empty shell then ventilation is rather important. 

Yes but it will need new doors fitting.

Just now, Tonka said:

Yes. And ventilation to the cabin presumably. 

Ventilation is a more serious topic if the insides are just steel with nothing in there. You really want to have positive air movement or you will get problems. It is almost September. 

Didn't some of the old boats have some sort of letterbox type vent thing made of brass ? 

3 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Some people might want really nice wooden doors others would want a steel door with wooden panels. 

It is a 'blank canvas' (terrible expression unless you are a still alive painter) so they may be making an attempt not to preempt personal choices. 

I think this boat would be better with no engine. I definitely would not want a Lister HA in there. For authenticity I would seek out a National or possibly a RN. 

Yes I know !

14 hours ago, zenataomm said:

It always grates on my eyes to see a a butty's backend going forward.

I take your point, but in this case it’s a fore end going forwards!

9 hours ago, Tonka said:

Yes, the doors are just temporary. 

9 hours ago, magnetman said:

Some people might want really nice wooden doors others would want a steel door with wooden panels. 

The back cabin is wooden, fitting steel doors to it would be a strange decision 

15 hours ago, magnetman said:

Nope, two inch feather edge, riveted to the steelwork, and spiked to the wooden gunwhales and cants

• Greenie 2

On 31/08/2023 at 07:51, Tim Lewis said:

Am I imagining it, or wasn't it priced at about £105k when first brought to market?

If so then just under £80K represents a hug reduction, but for what is still I believe an empty shell, still seems very over-priced.

I am probably the last person who should pass comment on what is acceptable as cabin arrangements on a converted boat.  FLAMINGO could be considered just as quirky as HYDRUS. Different things appeal to different owners, but I really  don't get having a front section that simulates "clothed up", but not extending if forward over the whole hold space to have a deck board in the correct position.

4 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Am I imagining it, or wasn't it priced at about £105k when first brought to market?

If so then just under £80K represents a hug reduction, but for what is still I believe an empty shell, still seems very over-priced.

I am probably the last person who should pass comment on what is acceptable as cabin arrangements on a converted boat.  FLAMINGO could be considered just as quirky as HYDRUS. Different things appeal to different owners, but I really  don't get having a front section that simulates "clothed up", but not extending if forward over the whole hold space to have a deck board in the correct position.

I have no doubt that it was intended to have the deck board in the correct place, and the cloths to extend back to the start of the conventional shaped cabin, so that the steel cloth shaped piece would not be seen

• Greenie 2

4 minutes ago, Steve Priest said:

I have no doubt that it was intended to have the deck board in the correct place, and the cloths to extend back to the start of the conventional shaped cabin, so that the steel cloth shaped piece would not be seen

Yes, that makes complete sense, and, now you mention it, it's obvious.

I wonder what the intended use, (if any) was for the short section of steelwork.  There's barely 2 cupboard's worth - at least on our FLAMINGO there is a complete bedroom!

10 minutes ago, Steve Priest said:

Except that it WILL be visible because it will prevent the slight sag of the cloths that happens when they have nothing underneath.

Were I to ever have steelwork constructed in such a style, I'd want it to have a slight concave curve to allow the cloths still to sag appropriately. 

10 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Yes, that makes complete sense, and, now you mention it, it's obvious.

I wonder what the intended use, (if any) was for the short section of steelwork.  There's barely 2 cupboard's worth - at least on our FLAMINGO there is a complete bedroom!

I agree it looks silly, but some people like them. I watched a very similar job being added to an otherwise really well-made replica motor several years ago and kept my mouth shut, each to their own?

10 minutes ago, MtB said:

Except that it WILL be visible because it will prevent the slight sag of the cloths that happens when they have nothing underneath.

Were I to ever have steelwork constructed in such a style, I'd want it to have a slight concave curve to allow the cloths still to sag appropriately. 

Agree that would look better, but good luck finding a shell fabricator who'll do that -- curved plates over curved frames... 😉

There's a modern fashion for "tipped-in" cabin fronts built in steel to mimic the shape of cloths, but unless they're very long I think they look anachronistic, a few feet at an angle in front of a "normal" cabin just looks wrong to me. But having this only a couple of feet long looks even wronger... 😞

(yes I'm sure some people will say that a low bow cabin in front of a normal one like mine also looks wrong -- but then I have no pretension to having a replica...)

Edited by IanD

52 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

£80,000 for a shell built to this standard is, in my opinion, an extremely good deal. Even more so knowing the standard of carpentry carried out by the owner. 

19 minutes ago, magnetman said:

If I had the Hydrus I would cut orf the triangular 'under cloths' part and get a nice tug deck on there with coal and wood storage under.

Plenty of people actually put a bed space under the front deck on an historic narrow boa conversion.

That said, it works better on a "Town" conversion than on a "Star" like HYDRUS.  The deeper sides of a town gives around an extra 7" of internal height.