Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

The thing is, the BARNET would make to most BRILLIANT conversion. But those of us with the sensibility for these things appreciate what sacrilege this would be, and don't buy it...

i agree mike it would be a shame to see it converted.

Got to say I would prefer it to be used commercially however if it evolves into a loved conversion or home that's the way it will be.

I can no longer use it properly myself and get very frustrated when I go to service it at Wolverhampton. There was nothing more thrilling to me than sitting on the cabin and steering and working single handed, but that isn't going to happen now and for that reason I want it gone.

There's a golden opportunity for someone who wants to carry on as a contractor, we currently run the boat (excepting routine maintenance and dockings) on less than £500 per year.

The thing is, the BARNET would make to most BRILLIANT conversion. But those of us with the sensibility for these things appreciate what sacrilege this would be, and don't buy it...

Exactly I want an oldie for conversion. But it would be sacrilege to desecrate yours. I agree with Mike

Exactly I want an oldie for conversion. But it would be sacrilege to desecrate yours. I agree with Mike

I still think that pods, if a boat hasn't been converted before, is the best way to preserve the integrity of a boat without adding bits or making irreparable changes, whilst letting you have a practical liveaboard. It needs some careful design, to maximise the space available, but that wouldn't be impossible.

I still think that pods, if a boat hasn't been converted before, is the best way to preserve the integrity of a boat without adding bits or making irreparable changes, whilst letting you have a practical liveaboard. It needs some careful design, to maximise the space available, but that wouldn't be impossible.

My undertarp conversion was removable in a day (though gathering up and stashing my son's toys would have taken a bit longer.

The wooden line-out was attached to sister A-frames so could be lifted out leaving the originals in place.

The only piece of furniture that was fixed permanently was the rayburn.

My undertarp conversion was removable in a day (though gathering up and stashing my son's toys would have taken a bit longer.

The wooden line-out was attached to sister A-frames so could be lifted out leaving the originals in place.

The only piece of furniture that was fixed permanently was the rayburn.

I would like to have seen that, in effect a demountable living pod? Or have I missed something. How did you fit all the plumbing in?

From the pictures in the ad the Barnet seems fairly desecrated already so perhaps less harm or loss in converting it compared to some other boats.

Done sympathetically, a conversion to this boat would perhaps give it more chance of a useful purpose for however many years until it finds another guardian in the future to use it for work.

I would like to have seen that, in effect a demountable living pod? Or have I missed something. How did you fit all the plumbing in?

Plumbing was very basic.

A 25 litre water butt served a lovely old beer tap feeding the kitchen sink and a 20 gallon tank in the bathroom was enough to drive the Paloma for a week of showers and washing.

It wasn't really "pods" because the line out was made up of removable ply and wooden panels backed by the foil and bubble-wrap type insulation whose name escapes me at the moment.

The bulkheads came out and everything could be laid flat whereas a pod arrangement (I assume) would be more "3D"

I'm impressed with that chap's ability to use a saw and balance two cans on his back at the same time! And just how is he supporting the blue gas cylinder?

Are there lifting shackles on the roof of the pod?

• Greenie 1

Are there lifting shackles on the roof of the pod?

I don't know.

The picture was lifted from page 33 of this thread:

Clicky

Edited to add: I believe he is refilling the cylinder, contrary to Calor's T&Cs

Edited by carlt

Unlike James, I'm not a fan of the lift out "pod", idea.

I haven't done the exact maths, but unless you are going to desecrate the original gunwales, I very much doubt if the lower half of what has to be craned in can at any point be much wider than 6 feet externally.

One of the beauties of a converted working boat, particularly if it has a deep hold, is the massive feeling of space that comes from the 7' width. If you reduced that by probably approaching 1 foot to make a "pod" that will fit between the proper gunwales of the boat, that will still need insulation and lining, and I stuggle to see how you could achieve more than about 5' 6" between the internal "walls". To me this would be a massive disadvantage, and certainly things like cross beds are no longer a possibility.

Also unless you have your own canal-side wharf with a large crane and wharf available, it is going to end up not exactly lifted out very often!

I think there is a good reason why although this idea has occasionally been tried, it is in fact only very occasionally. How many ex working boats have an actual pod in use right now? I'm not sure I could now name one.

Question.... If you have a "pod", where does all the rain water that will land on it end up? Instinctively I feel most will generally end up in the hold giving you a "wet bilged" boat?

I haven't done the exact maths, but unless you are going to desecrate the original gunwales, I very much doubt if the lower half of what has to be craned in can at any point be much wider than 6 feet externally.

One of the beauties of a converted working boat, particularly if it has a deep hold, is the massive feeling of space that comes from the 7' width. If you reduced that by probably approaching 1 foot to make a "pod" that will fit between the proper gunwales of the boat, that will still need insulation and lining, and I stuggle to see how you could achieve more than about 5' 6" between the internal "walls". To me this would be a massive disadvantage, and certainly things like cross beds are no longer a possibility.

Also unless you have your own canal-side wharf with a large crane and wharf available, it is going to end up not exactly lifted out very often!

I think there is a good reason why although this idea has occasionally been tried, it is in fact only very occasionally. How many ex working boats have an actual pod in use right now? I'm not sure I could now name one.

Question.... If you have a "pod", where does all the rain water that will land on it end up? Instinctively I feel most will generally end up in the hold giving you a "wet bilged" boat?

I don't recall saying anything about the 'pod' idea, even less so on the positive side Alan.

Big boats are indeed ideal for converting in the more usual sense though, given that from the photos it seems the Barnet has lost all her originality from the footings down (in the hold at least) it would make sense to use it as the basis for a conversion.

I don't recall saying anything about the 'pod' idea, even less so on the positive side Alan.

Indeed you did not, but another James did!.........

I can name 4 right now... that are in use, and people like them for they're flexibility and ease of access to the orignal boat for maintenance. for the least amount of change to the orignal boat. for the correct look and feel about the boat externally.

even when full of stuff each one weighs less than 1/2ton so any Hiab can lift them out. and with the sheets up, no rain gets in, jsut the same as the boat in full working condidtoin has no rain getting in, so dont see the relevence of that point atall. .. pods are made to go UNDER the sheets!

Jay.

and with the sheets up, no rain gets in, jsut the same as the boat in full working condidtoin has no rain getting in, so dont see the relevence of that point atall. .. pods are made to go UNDER the sheets!

Not the one pictured in this thread, I think.....

scan0010.jpg

That would look decidedly odd under sheets!

Edited by alan_fincher

Big boats are indeed ideal for converting in the more usual sense though, given that from the photos it seems the Barnet has lost all her originality from the footings down (in the hold at least) it would make sense to use it as the basis for a conversion.

Barnet is less original than many, footings and bottom aside, the counter is new, the cabin and engine room too. At some time the forward plate on the starboard side has been completely replaced probably by Bulls Bridge and also the fore end has been cut off and replaced with either the original or a spare. (I remember going to Bulls Bridge with Ken Keay and seeing GU boat spare plates and fore ends stored).

So as a candidate for originality it doesn't come near, however she is still "in service" after 79 years and has the honour of being the very last boat registered with a BCN plate. The boat is featured in many of my films and has been steered by Mr Poirot (David Suchet) on occasions. She is a very friendly boat, easy to steer due to the completely refurbished H&W rudder and if you are on the BCN it has the major advantage of a big weedhatch.

Converting her wouldn't be a sin, just evolution.

http://www.apolloduck.com/feature.phtml?id=407043

She fair trams along in the video attached to the advert in the above link Laurence.

Is it a 3:1 reduction?

If I had the money I know just what I'd do with her and it wouldn't involve any converting, although I wouldn't criticise anyone who did.

She fair trams along in the video attached to the advert in the above link Laurence.

Is it a 3:1 reduction?

If I had the money I know just what I'd do with her and it wouldn't involve any converting, although I wouldn't criticise anyone who did.

Yes it is a 3:1 reduction, 29" prop. She moves very well!