The Shroppie Fly Pub

Doorman

Featured Posts

Was wondering Doorman whether it may have occurred to you that your seemingly continual negativity towards the new licensee may detract customers who use this forum from giving the place a go under the new management?

If boaters go elsewhere on the strength of your posts, then you are contributing to the pub failing.

I, for one, already feel like I know the new tenant personally and have not been near the place for a good while.

How about letting us find out for ourselves?

My life is not enriched by your one man crusade,

Yes, I suppose it appears to be a one man crusade from the outside, but you clearly have not witnessed the shear incompetence by the people who own the lease on this once fine establishment, whereas I have.

The pub is very dear to our hearts, as are the people of this village and to witness yet another potential disaster looming through further ineptitude is difficult to take without comment. To date, from the inception of his lease, this guy has had one head barman and one manager leave already over the last two weeks. He has now got two local young people who are prepared to give it their all in order to help rejuvenate the place and hopefully secure long term employment. I am also hoping, that he doesn't do to them what he's done to others and ruin their lives also.

If you feel as you say, that you now know the new tenant then my job is done, because if you have any sense you will steer well clear of him as we intend to do! With a bit of luck and not without some pressure from the local council, Punch might just see sense and seek someone more trustworthy to operate a pub that is crying out for some honest enthusiasm, something that the young local couple have already displayed through their own initiative.

And finally, life enrichment for others is certainly not high on the list of the new tenant either, quite the opposite in fact.

Right, so the idea is to force him out by not drinking there?

I will use it and hope that he makes a success of it.

I will give him a crack of the whip irrespective of his past and hope others do to.

I won't email the pub a link to this thread as that would be childish but think it is probably something he is entitled to read.

Right, so the idea is to force him out by not drinking there?

I will use it and hope that he makes a success of it.

I will give him a crack of the whip irrespective of his past and hope others do to.

I won't email the pub a link to this thread as that would be childish but think it is probably something he is entitled to read.

Good for you!

It would appear that you haven't read fully, the links that I placed previously on this thread that detailed his past endeavours. If you feel that he is a right and proper person to hold such a position then you have clearly not read all of the posts on here, particularly those relating to the once held prerequisites where pub licences were involved. They were not put in place out of spite for ex-criminals, but from experience.

Please feel free to forward your email to the pub link as you will only be giving them yesterday's news. From the meeting with Punch and the local people, it would appear that the truth is already outed, regardless of any name changes by the guy involved. Now why would any decent person seek to change their name, other than in marriage that is?

I have read all the thread and the links.

My local is ran by a fella who drove getaway in an armed robbery for a gang once.

He has been there for years and the pub is the hub of the community. He has changed his name to help move on from his past.

Edited by sam pig

Owning a pub has nothing to do with the licence any more.

There will be Personal License Holders on site for the majority of opening hours - These people will have been through the CRB checks and a licensing course.

One of these will be the Designated Premises Supervisor - who is directly responsible for the operation of the liquor license within the Licensing Law - responsible for all staf training to make sure that the 4 Licensing guidelines are followed and ultimately responsible to the Local Licensing Authority to protect the Premises License.

The Premises License is issued if Fire, H&S,Police concerns(previous trouble) max occupancy, Hygiene etc criteria are fulfilled. - Ownership does not come into it.

The only way the Premises License would be at risk or revoked is if the Owner in question made one or more of the above licenses at risk by criminal or other behaviour.

It would firstly be on the head of the DPS, and then other PLH individuals, who could be prosecuted. They would then be replaced by a new team to preserve the license.

Punch still get their lease money.

Edited by matty40s

I suppose if you have millions of pounds to dispose of then a pub is a good means of laundering cash

At last FantasticFallus, we are getting somewhere!

Owning a pub has nothing to do with the licence any more.

Punch still get their lease money.

Yes, they do, once dirty but since laundered.

Good post by the way.

• 2 weeks later...

I was in the Shroppie Fly 14th April and believe that i met the new owner David, he came over to our table and introduced himself as David ( I assume this to be Mr McHugh). He told us about the new pool table and the juke box that were arriving later that week. Would be interesting to know if they have actually arrived. He seemed a decent guy but not the most charasmatic person and not the kind of guy who you would expect to be running a pub, but he seemed to have the right ideas. I was really surprised when i read all the posts about him and his past. The 2 bar staff working that evening were great and could not fault them. Hopefully someone can make a go of this pub. We were on boating holiday and moored close by.

I was in the Shroppie Fly 14th April and believe that i met the new owner David, he came over to our table and introduced himself as David ( I assume this to be Mr McHugh). He told us about the new pool table and the juke box that were arriving later that week. Would be interesting to know if they have actually arrived. He seemed a decent guy but not the most charasmatic person and not the kind of guy who you would expect to be running a pub, but he seemed to have the right ideas. I was really surprised when i read all the posts about him and his past. The 2 bar staff working that evening were great and could not fault them. Hopefully someone can make a go of this pub. We were on boating holiday and moored close by.

Yes, given his past, you would expect him to be plausible and convincing.

The two bar staff would probably be Dave -no relation- and his partner Kerry. Two local people whom are desperate to secure employment and are bending over backwards to impress the owner, regardless of his sordid past. We even helped them collect wood from the copse at the rear of the pub because our Mr McHugh hadn't ordered any coal or logs for the lovely fire in the rear lounge.

By now, the 'manager' that he had installed to oversee proceedings, will have gone his separate way due to his incompetence and propensity to drink all of the profits and hopefully the Guinness and Strongbow deliveries will have arrived, a week late. As promised though, the pool table has been delivered together with the juke box. Much to Mrs Doorman's delight. Her driving ambition is to play for the 'B' team in the winter months and show some of the locals how to play the game. A tall order in this village as they hold several records for both darts and pool.

Apart from Punch's faux pas in their choice of new tenant for the pub, it looks like the determination of the local couple is paying off with more and more customers coming through the doors on a daily basis. Just in time for the beginning of the festival season in Audlem.

Edited by Doorman

The Shroppie Fly always has a place close to our hearts because its the first pub that we encountered folk just turning up with their instruments and playing a tune for those that happened to be there. There were two hurdy gurdys - Dave was determined to buy one until he looked them up and found out the price. Maybe not!

Seriously this was a pub that caught our imagination and was a fantastic place to be for that evening. I've seen so many pubs demolished because of bad management - I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed that next time we go by that way the Shroppie Fly will be there and maybe a bit of Hurdie Gurdie as well

Alas Ange, the Hurdy Gurdy brigade have long since moved up to The Bridge further along the Wharf. They felt that they weren't being appreciated by some of the bar members who preferred to up the volume on the juke box to drown them out. Not all Audlemites appreciate historic folk music sadly. Perhaps in time they might just return but at least Gary + Vicky at The Bridge are appreciative of their rare skills.

This has been the way pub chains have operated for as long as I can remember. In my opinion it is done totally conscuiously, i.e. the don't wonder why so many lock the door etc, they expect and know it will happen with every landlord eventually. The more effort and money the LL puts in and the longer it takes, the more they rub their hands in glee.

Once a tenant throws in the towel, there is an endless supply of new mugs out there fancying a pub of their own and willing to sink their life savings into 'making a go of it'. When times are good the new tenant keeps their head above water but the bad periods always crop up (eg a week of freezing weather, Olympics, whatever) and each time the LL's finances slip a little deeper into the red. Eventually they are forced into bankruptcy and the cycle repeats. Its a vicious business, pubs, IMO.

Just my reading of the situation...

MtB

Spot on. We were those mugs, albeit we're a free house. Still are to be honest - just about to turn our business to profit after 5 years of supporting it. Dunno if we'll ever see a return other than selling up eventually.

Interestingly we've got three breweries after our trade, offering us beer at as little as a half of what the tied houses pay.

This has been the way pub chains have operated for as long as I can remember. In my opinion it is done totally consciously, i.e. the don't wonder why so many lock the door etc, they expect and know it will happen with every landlord eventually. The more effort and money the LL puts in and the longer it takes, the more they rub their hands in glee.

Interestingly, in the '60s tenants of brewery-owned pubs paid an almost peppercorn rent to the brewery, but you were tied 100% on all beer, wine & spirits sold. If you were caught with something from the cash&carry your tenancy could be terminated immediately. (I even think this nearly happened to the Walkers in Coronation Street to make a storyline).

How times change.

Interestingly, in the '60s tenants of brewery-owned pubs paid an almost peppercorn rent to the brewery, but you were tied 100% on all beer, wine & spirits sold. If you were caught with something from the cash&carry your tenancy could be terminated immediately. (I even think this nearly happened to the Walkers in Coronation Street to make a storyline).

How times change.

The only difference now is they pay astronomically high rents once they've got the trade back up. Still tied, still no right of tenancy.

• 2 weeks later...

Visited the pub on Bank Holiday Monday.

Lovely weather...lots of people...but was surprised at how poorly the pub was being managed...it was chaotic...can't see it lasting long if it is run like this.

I strolled down on Sunday afternoon. It was shut.

Visited the pub on Bank Holiday Monday.

Lovely weather...lots of people...but was surprised at how poorly the pub was being managed...it was chaotic...can't see it lasting long if it is run like this.

We went in on Saturday evening. We had hoped there might be some live music on but there was a Lee Evans tribute act billed unsure.png and we thought we'd give it the benefit of the doubt.

The pub was fairly empty except for a very rowdy/drunk bunch of lads in the pool room, which was adjacent where they'd set up the mike for the comedian.

When he started his act just after 9pm, the lads from the pool room drifted in and began to heckle him, occasionally taking the mike off him to make incoherent announcements to nobody in particular. The comic tried to go on with his act and persevered for 20 minutes or so but it was embarrassing and he eventually went into a huddle with the agent/roadie at which point we left, feeling that it was only a matter of time before a fight started. Nobody from the pub management tried to restore order.

We went in on Saturday evening. We had hoped there might be some live music on but there was a Lee Evans tribute act billed :unsure: and we thought we'd give it the benefit of the doubt.

The pub was fairly empty except for a very rowdy/drunk bunch of lads in the pool room, which was adjacent where they'd set up the mike for the comedian.

When he started his act just after 9pm, the lads from the pool room drifted in and began to heckle him, occasionally taking the mike off him to make incoherent announcements to nobody in particular. The comic tried to go on with his act and persevered for 20 minutes or so but it was embarrassing and he eventually went into a huddle with the agent/roadie at which point we left, feeling that it was only a matter of time before a fight started. Nobody from the pub management tried to restore order.

This is quite worrying, especially as the young local couple whom have been given the responsibility to run the place are trying their best. If the old regime of bar room bullies are allowed to prevail, then there is little chance of improvement. It will take someone of strong character to impose themselves upon the rabble and allow periodic customers to enjoy a meal or a drink in comfort without the resonance of language best suited to the factory floor.

The local lads are a caring bunch, but one in particular appears to believe that the corner of the bar is dedicated to his point of view and the tone of his approach leaves much to be desired.

I strolled down on Sunday afternoon. It was shut.

Lucky for you that you had only a short distance to cover. Can you imagine others whom have relied upon the reputation of such an iconic venue, only to be disappointed by the half hearted approach of the current owner. It just goes to show, no matter what qualifications you hold in accountancy, there's more to running a pub than scanning a spreadsheet!

People skills amount to more than a masters in economics!

• 1 month later...

This is quite worrying, especially as the young local couple whom have been given the responsibility to run the place are trying their best. If the old regime of bar room bullies are allowed to prevail, then there is little chance of improvement. It will take someone of strong character to impose themselves upon the rabble and allow periodic customers to enjoy a meal or a drink in comfort without the resonance of language best suited to the factory floor.

The local lads are a caring bunch, but one in particular appears to believe that the corner of the bar is dedicated to his point of view and the tone of his approach leaves much to be desired.

Lucky for you that you had only a short distance to cover. Can you imagine others whom have relied upon the reputation of such an iconic venue, only to be disappointed by the half hearted approach of the current owner. It just goes to show, no matter what qualifications you hold in accountancy, there's more to running a pub than scanning a spreadsheet!

People skills amount to more than a masters in economics!

It's possibly one of the most disappointing pubs on the cut.

What a venu, ! a lovely pub, but no one in it.

The locals don't seem to use it, the bridge inn is more popular with friendly conversation.

Beer is well kept in the fly, No complaints there. There's just no one using it, it's dull.

I'm waiting to be proved wrong.

It's possibly one of the most disappointing pubs on the cut.

What a venu, ! a lovely pub, but no one in it.

The locals don't seem to use it, the bridge inn is more popular with friendly conversation.

Beer is well kept in the fly, No complaints there. There's just no one using it, it's dull.

I'm waiting to be proved wrong.

You're lucky, when we went there they had no beer at all, only larger!

I have to say we had a cracking night in the Fly last Saturday. The (proper) beer was good and they had a really good band on.

Sunday was not a very productive day!