The Shroppie Fly Pub

Doorman

Featured Posts

[

I know Fred, I pass your boat every day. I was just kidding about the car park.

Opens up tomorrow and Morris Dancers there on Saturday afternoon. They're always good for a laugh. :cheers:

Mike

I will make the effort to be there seeing as it's not too far. Any chance you may introduce yourself? Could buy you a pint.

Fred

Hi Fred,

Sorry for not replying sooner but I've given our Ipad to Mrs Doorman whilst she's recuperating in hospital, so I don't get a look in now! Went past the Morris Dancers today on my way to hospital and would have loved to have stopped to see them. My Labrador ran straight into the Fly without me. Old habits die hard.

I went in there last night for a couple of pints of Guinness -real ale- and it was eerie to be back in after months of closure. Might pop in again later at about 8.30pm. You can't miss me, I've got short arms and long pockets, develop an intense form of deafness and a serious stammer when it's my round, but other than that I'm quite normal :P .

If I do get in I'll be in the bar side with a Guinness so if you read this in time I'd be happy to introduce myself to you :cheers:

Mike

Well, the Shroppie Fly reopened last night (Good Friday) at 7.00pm, so let's see how it goes. I couldn't quite discover what terms the new people have got it on, i.e. short term or longer term. Time will tell, but at least it has reopened.

Quite right Peter,

They seem to be an affable bunch of people who have taken it on temporarily and have plenty of experience in the pub trade. The beer is fresh and they're trying to warm the place up after months of closure and dampness setting in.

Only time will tell if they stay long term. They've certainly taken on a challenge in revitalising an iconic pub together with having to deal with Punch & Judy Taverns.

Mike

Hi.

Slightly :smiley_offtopic: . We called into the Admiral Nelson at Braunston this afternoon. We had a lovely meal, much enjoyed by all four of us, Very relaxed atmosphere. I was quite suprised that food wise, it was not a lot busier. I really hope this pub thrives and we will call again in the near future.

John.

Hi Fred,

Sorry for not replying sooner but I've given our Ipad to Mrs Doorman whilst she's recuperating in hospital, so I don't get a look in now! Went past the Morris Dancers today on my way to hospital and would have loved to have stopped to see them. My Labrador ran straight into the Fly without me. Old habits die hard.

I went in there last night for a couple of pints of Guinness -real ale- and it was eerie to be back in after months of closure. Might pop in again later at about 8.30pm. You can't miss me, I've got short arms and long pockets, develop an intense form of deafness and a serious stammer when it's my round, but other than that I'm quite normal :P .

If I do get in I'll be in the bar side with a Guinness so if you read this in time I'd be happy to introduce myself to you :cheers:

Mike

Quite right Peter,

They seem to be an affable bunch of people who have taken it on temporarily and have plenty of experience in the pub trade. The beer is fresh and they're trying to warm the place up after months of closure and dampness setting in.

Only time will tell if they stay long term. They've certainly taken on a challenge in revitalising an iconic pub together with having to deal with Punch & Judy Taverns.

Mike

Speaking with the new Manager-to-be, Alastair, he said that his bosses have taken the pub on a long term basis, with renovation coming in May, and reopening again on 26 May.

• 2 weeks later...

After stringing along the previous person interested in taking on this popular canal side pub, then at the eleventh hour, raising the stakes by £12,000, Punch Taverns have excelled themselves in their ultimate choice of new tenant.

To say that this guy has had a colourful past must be an understatement.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-15700148

Mr David McHugh, whom also has a vested interest in another pub in nearby Madeley, has a string of convictions since 2000.

Do you think that Punch have ever heard of the Criminal Records Bureau?

Edited by Doorman

The link doesn't work.

Presumablt the pub being closed has messed up the planning for the music festival a bit.

Link is now up and running and yes, due to Punch and their underhand tactics, they have well and truly shot themselves in the foot in missing their chance to take part. How better to promote a newly managed pub than at the music festival. i cannot believe how inept these people are and this latest revelation puts the icing on the cake.

Looking at the dire financial situation that the pub chain finds itself in, you can only imagine that they've employed Mr McHugh to do their accounts.

One act that will definitely not be appearing any time soon at the pub is Atomic Kitten, including the colourful Ms Kerry Katona. Not unless they introduce kick boxing on the bill.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1209257/kerry-katona-investigated-police-allegations-assault.html

As you can see from his photograph, should he fail in his latest business venture, he can always fall back on his modelling career. Airfix modelling!

Edited by Doorman

Link is now up and running and yes, due to Punch and their underhand tactics, they have well and truly shot themselves in the foot in missing their chance to take part. How better to promote a newly managed pub than at the music festival. i cannot believe how inept these people are and this latest revelation puts the icing on the cake.

Looking at the dire financial situation that the pub chain finds itself in, you can only imagine that they've employed Mr McHugh to do their accounts.

One act that will definitely not be appearing any time soon at the pub is Atomic Kitten, including the colourful Ms Kerry Katona. Not unless they introduce kick boxing on the bill.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1209257/kerry-katona-investigated-police-allegations-assault.html

As you can see from his photograph, should he fail in his latest business venture, he can always fall back on his modelling career. Airfix modelling!

You miss the point, Punch couldn't care less weather its a success of failure, they just want the tenants money and when this one runs out they will find another.

Three years and eight months? 50% off for good behaviour. He's done well to get out and get a pub.

We won't be at the festival this year. Too busy boating on the GU but I recommend it to anyone that is close to Audlem over the spring bank holiday.

• Greenie 1

You miss the point, Punch couldn't care less weather its a success of failure, they just want the tenants money and when this one runs out they will find another.

Oh no, I fully appreciate your comment regarding the mercenaries better known as Punch. It's the local people who he's taken on who will ultimately suffer when it all goes belly up. At least with an honest couple taking on the tenancy there might have been a period of stability and some improvement to the place.

We were present on Saturday when this character who's left a trail of misery in his wake, waltzed in and started giving orders about the place as if he was god's gift to pub management. One of his statements was that anyone who works for him has to wear a striped shirt, that must be in reference to the prison uniform his 'runners' wore whilst he was serving his sentence.

Little does he know that the village are aware of his past endeavours and nothing he does will amount to any respect being earned. In fact, if he had spoken to me in the arrogant tone that he employs, I would have ended up being barred from the place.

My main point regarding Punch and their total disregard to this guy's infamous past, is that surely before entertaining any thoughts of allowing someone the benefit of controlling one of your potential cash cows, you would have a vetting process involving due diligence. There is a suggestion that the criminal has changed his name, but like a leopard and on his past results, I doubt whether he'll change his spots.

you would have a vetting process involving due diligence.

A friend of mine went for an interview with one of these companies (not Punch), and the "vetting process involving due diligence" went as follows:

Interviewer: Do you have (or have access to) £12,000?

My Friend: Yes.

Interviewer: I'm sure that we can giveyou a nice pub then.

I also see that Vince Cable has "declared war" on them http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/leisure/9789121/Pub-giants-face-legal-crackdown-over-greedy-tactics.html

I bet the're quaking in their shoes.

Apparently, a new duke box has been ordered and predictions are that 'Jail House Rock' will be the most popular choice!

Presumably the "duke" box will be because of his former dealings with Lord Davenport?

clapping.gif

A friend of mine went for an interview with one of these companies (not Punch), and the "vetting process involving due diligence" went as follows:

Interviewer: Do you have (or have access to) £12,000?

My Friend: Yes.

Interviewer: I'm sure that we can giveyou a nice pub then.

I also see that Vince Cable has "declared war" on them http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/leisure/9789121/Pub-giants-face-legal-crackdown-over-greedy-tactics.html

I bet the're quaking in their shoes.

That just about sums the situation up then! They deserve everything they get with this upstanding citizen.

With regard to the article about Vince Cable's proposed intentions, at least someone is being made aware of the underhand tactics of the pub chains. Although I wouldn't mind taking a bet on how many politicians are amongst their board members.

Presumably the "duke" box will be because of his former dealings with Lord Davenport?

Hello Dave,

good to see you posting again.

Lord Bloody Davenport. When you look at the dealings made by the likes of him and the trail of misery they left behind, it certainly creates an amount of intrigue into how these well suited conmen get away with it, together with those whom have profitted in a similar way and 'Lord it' about society as if they are paragons of virtue!

clapping.gif

You know what, I've only just cottoned on to your comment about the 'duke box'. Juke Box Jury would be most appropriate in this instance.

Edited by Doorman

Three years and eight months? 50% off for good behaviour. He's done well to get out and get a pub.

Several pubs!

One of the temporay staff who revealed this guy's true identity (apparently he goes by the name of David Williams these days), also recounted a similar situation whereby a gentleman who's a member of a very prestigeous golf course in one of Cheshire's jet set regions, was tried and sentanced for fraud involving £80 million, but only 30 of it was ever recovered. Considering the so called strict vetting procedure that allegedly goes on in these places, this guy should have been 'black balled' before he drove his Bentley through the gates.

And they say crime doesn't pay!

Several pubs!

One of the temporay staff who revealed this guy's true identity (apparently he goes by the name of David Williams these days), also recounted a similar situation whereby a gentleman who's a member of a very prestigeous golf course in one of Cheshire's jet set regions, was tried and sentanced for fraud involving £80 million, but only 30 of it was ever recovered. Considering the so called strict vetting procedure that allegedly goes on in these places, this guy should have been 'black balled' before he drove his Bentley through the gates.

And they say crime doesn't pay!

I'd be interested to see who holds the licence. In the old days when liquor licences were controlled by the magistrates courts, they took a dim view of anyone with a criminal record who applied. I can think of at least one licencee locally who had to transfer his licence into his wife's name as a result of a conviction.

Perhaps the local authorities are less fussy nowadays.

I'd be interested to see who holds the licence. In the old days when liquor licences were controlled by the magistrates courts, they took a dim view of anyone with a criminal record who applied. I can think of at least one licencee locally who had to transfer his licence into his wife's name as a result of a conviction.

Perhaps the local authorities are less fussy nowadays.

I can personally vouch for that.

In the past, I have successfully applied for three liquor licences and on each occasion my solicitor/barrister asked whether I'd had any previous convictions. The inference was that had I held a criminal record, the chances of gaining the licence would have been near impossible.

Also, the instances where two off licenses were allowed to trade next door to each other back in the early nineties was literally unheard of, that is until my newsagent neighbour, Mr Desai, gained his licence on the grounds that the magistrates didn't want to offend him by refusing his application. It was only when my barrister told me that did I actually believe it.

Had a pint in the Shroppie Fly today. It was not exactly welcoming and the kitchen was closed.

I think I might have seen you going past.

Yes, you've had first hand experience of the way Mr Williams runs his new venture. At this time of year, countless boaters, walkers and motorists turn up at the door wanting a pub lunch, something I believe that accounts for a better margin that the presently discounted ale. Therefore, on that basis, the new owner would be best placed to ensure that the kitchen is up and running in readiness for the hungry customers.

And to think, that this guy, amongst other things, is an accountant. If he can't understand his prime profit maker then who can?

Edited by Doorman

Licences are dispensed by Local Authorities these days. An old Chief Magistrate of my acquaintance (sadly no longer with us) will be turning in her grave! She took the view that licensees should be the role model for society with sound values of pride and decency! All they want to know now is whether you can pay your way (till the pubco bankrupts you)

Licences are dispensed by Local Authorities these days. An old Chief Magistrate of my acquaintance (sadly no longer with us) will be turning in her grave! She took the view that licensees should be the role model for society with sound values of pride and decency! All they want to know now is whether you can pay your way (till the pubco bankrupts you)

Indeed,

that's why I was successful on three separate applications.

It's a great pity that your friend's view wasn't also extended to the selection of politicians.

Edited by Doorman

Her opinion of politicians was not fit for an adult audience, let alone polite company - broke the mould when they made her!! And if you assaulted one of 'her officers', 3 months irrespective of previous good character! Never had an appeal either!!

Indeed,

that's why I was susccessful on three separate applications.

It's a great pity that your friend's view wasn't also extended to the selection of politicians.

Her opinion of politicians was not fit for an adult audience, let alone polite company - broke the mould when they made her!! And if you assaulted one of 'her officers', 3 months irrespective of previous good character! Never had an appeal either!!

Your friend no doubt is sorely missed. Not only by those close to her but society in general.

Without wishing to sound like one of the two muppets - Waldorf & Statler - those were days when the judiciary was feared but respected too.

Sad to say and based upon this latest revelation at The Shroppie Fly, standards are falling at a dramatic rate. Apparently, yesterday Mr McHugh-Williams came clean at a meeting with two of his staff, a local live music promoter and a representative from Punch. Explaining his chequered past to these people who were probably aware anyway. Audlem has very few corners to hide in.

How gallant of him to give full disclosure, but only after the organisers of the local village web site requested Punch Taverns to comment on their extraordinary choice of tenant for this ailing pub.

Edited by Doorman

It does not bode well for the place by the sounds of it. I do wonder though, if this new landlord has come clean about his past then there is just the tiniest possibility that he wants to put it behind him and make a go of the place? Ok, I know I am an hopeless optimist! I can just imagine that if the local people in Audlem decide you are a no hoper then that is exactly what you will be. I do hope they are prepared to at least give him a chance to prove himself, the problem is that he will have to earn a lot of brownie points very fast in order to overcome the negative effect that his past has already produced and by the sounds of it he is not doing well on that score either!

I always liked The Bridge for a friendly welcome, good beer and good food. It doesn't have the ambience of the Shroppie Fly but so long as I am fed and watered well at the right price and get good service it goes a long way.

It does not bode well for the place by the sounds of it. I do wonder though, if this new landlord has come clean about his past then there is just the tiniest possibility that he wants to put it behind him and make a go of the place? Ok, I know I am an hopeless optimist! I can just imagine that if the local people in Audlem decide you are a no hoper then that is exactly what you will be. I do hope they are prepared to at least give him a chance to prove himself, the problem is that he will have to earn a lot of brownie points very fast in order to overcome the negative effect that his past has already produced and by the sounds of it he is not doing well on that score either!

I always liked The Bridge for a friendly welcome, good beer and good food. It doesn't have the ambience of the Shroppie Fly but so long as I am fed and watered well at the right price and get good service it goes a long way.

Hi Jan,

I suppose my post infers that I'm never one to let sleeping dogs lie, but in reality I have given board and lodgings to a builder who used to work for me, only after he had served 12 years for possession of a fire arm. This guy, from Longsight in Manchester, was totally affected by his punishment - for carrying a 12 bore shot gun in the boot of his car - and almost a broken man.

Before coming to work for me he disclosed his past jail term and why he was there. Judging by his post criminal appearance, I took him on face value and he never let me down. He had access to all of my personal belongings together with befriending my children and ended up being a friend.

So, before anyone thinks that I'm being too hard on Mr McHugh-Williams simply because of his past, please think again. My builder committed one very serious crime in his life and came out a changed man. This guy has committed 40 crimes since the year 2000 and has yet to prove that he is a reformed character.

Looking at some of the antics of the people who run Punch Taverns, he should sit very comfortably alongside of them.

Edited by Doorman

Was wondering Doorman whether it may have occurred to you that your seemingly continual negativity towards the new licensee may detract customers who use this forum from giving the place a go under the new management?

If boaters go elsewhere on the strength of your posts, then you are contributing to the pub failing.

I, for one, already feel like I know the new tenant personally and have not been near the place for a good while.

How about letting us find out for ourselves?

My life is not enriched by your one man crusade,