The Shroppie Fly Pub

Doorman

Featured Posts

Aye, and with a bit of good luck we shall be able to play again but this time with some sobriety. That's us, not you, Ange and Dave who were the only ones left that could utter a sentence without slobbering all over the place. :-)

Glenn,

I see that you still have that darned parrot on board!

Perhaps when you pass through next time we can have a pint or three and celebrate the new ownership.

Hi Gareth,

The new owner was oblivious to the news about both the Transport and Beer Festivals but hopefully now will take advantage of the two occasions. He has guaranteed that there will be no shortage of ale in future so things are looking up.

Yes Madcat, you and many others, not only locally but from far and wide who travel these parts in the hope of a good meal and a decent canal side pint will be of the same frame of mind. Only time will tell whether the new chap is as good as his word.

He's already drawn up a list of young lads who will be banned from drinking at the pub. That's a great start and maybe the decent folk from the village will be encouraged to return to what was their local.

Hopefully the new landlord will talk to us - both as next door neighbours, and also as the organisers of the historic boat gathering, about trade by the canal in Audlem, the value of the canal to the pub, and the place of The Shroppie Fly in the Audlem economy. If he does contact us, he'll realise that the village needs the Shroppie, and the pub needs the village. We all have to work together. This approach is obvious, but hasn't happened for nearly a year.

We'll welcome the new management, as long as they keep to the licensing rules and hours, and don't serve people who have had too many.

Peter

We'll welcome the new management, as long as they don't serve people who have had too many.

Peter

Blimey Peter,

That rules half of Audlem out including us two drunken sots!

• Greenie 1

I said bridge to this lot sat with me and they all insisted it was the boat so yes I meant the bridge :-))

I said bridge to this lot sat with me and they all insisted it was the boat so yes I meant the bridge :-))

Too many Cloggy specials wacko.png

I like the Bridge, it does feel very welcoming, although I liked it even more before it was done up and opened out. It had a snug-like room with its own bar between the main bar room and the back-entrance/toilets. I think the Fly earns more of its reputation on its setting than it does the food.

I like the Bridge, it does feel very welcoming, although I liked it even more before it was done up and opened out. It had a snug-like room with its own bar between the main bar room and the back-entrance/toilets. I think the Fly earns more of its reputation on its setting than it does the food.

Yes, I agree with you on both counts regarding The Bridge being very welcoming and The Fly's reputation. Hopefully the new tenant will address many woeful issues including the points set out by Peter.

For too long Punch Taverns have allowed this potentially lovely pub to fester in lack of investment and support, something that they appear to excel in.

Hopefully the new landlord will talk to us - both as next door neighbours, and also as the organisers of the historic boat gathering, about trade by the canal in Audlem, the value of the canal to the pub, and the place of The Shroppie Fly in the Audlem economy. If he does contact us, he'll realise that the village needs the Shroppie, and the pub needs the village. We all have to work together. This approach is obvious, but hasn't happened for nearly a year.

We'll welcome the new management, as long as they keep to the licensing rules and hours, and don't serve people who have had too many.

Peter

Hi Peter. I had a feeling I'd see you on here...

Thought I'd google the Shroppie to see what the feeling is among the wider community and it seems to be fairly universal doesn't it. So sad. It's got so much potential being in such a great place. Judging by some of the comments on here it seems to have been a great place in it's heyday and people have some fond memories of it. Sincerely hope the new landlord works with the rest of the village and turns it around to how it used to be.

Hopefully next time Emma and I come down the kitchens will be up and running. We'll take you both in there and see what the foods like.

Lee

Blimey Peter,

That rules half of Audlem out including us two drunken sots!

The good landlord recognises the difference between people like us that sink into silly but happy drunkenness, causing no problem to anyone and leaving quietly (albeit sometimes in a wheelbarrow :D) and those that really should not be given another drink because they're getting punchy/loud/aggressive.

Hopefully next time Emma and I come down the kitchens will be up and running. We'll take you both in there and see what the foods like.

Lee

He'll have to be in disguise, as he's barred! Lol

The good landlord recognises the difference between people like us that sink into silly but happy drunkenness, causing no problem to anyone and leaving quietly (albeit sometimes in a wheelbarrow :D) and those that really should not be given another drink because they're getting punchy/loud/aggressive.

I didn't really like to mention Molin in public.

He left in such a fuss!

Edited by Doorman

• 2 weeks later...

On a more serious note.

This lovely picture is of a young couple approaching lock 13 (with the gate open) outside of the pub during last year's Festival of Transport in Audlem.

If you look closely at the bundle of clothes nestling on the the young lady's lap, you might just see her 8 week old baby snuggling in there!

11k8gzo.jpg

Her partner steered the boat with such precision taking care not to dislodge his valuable cargo.

This is me, my partner and our daughter Eliza. She was actually 9 days old, not 8 weeks! And this was her maiden voyage, first trip on the boat (and certainly not the last).

This is me, my partner and our daughter Eliza. She was actually 9 days old, not 8 weeks! And this was her maiden voyage, first trip on the boat (and certainly not the last).

Hello Rebekah and welcome to the forum.

It's me, that cheeky bugger who asked for your email address to be written on a twenty pound note! Apologies for Eliza's age mistake, the fact that she was only days old makes the photo even more remarkable. Any wonder Matt was taking his time entering the lock.

P.S. Don't be afraid to mention who your dad is. :-)

Mike

Edited by Doorman

Well , well, after reading all 7 pages i have been suripised to say the least. I will be hiring from audlem next May and had the Fly as one of our main 'must-see' places and even got a picture of it on my PC desktop screen.

Hope it improves tremendously from now til next year otherwise i will skip this altogether or pop into The Bridge instead.

Is this the first time you have seen the photo? How fab that you have a photo of Eliza's maiden voyage to show her when she's older.

Yes, I agree with you on both counts regarding The Bridge being very welcoming and The Fly's reputation. Hopefully the new tenant will address many woeful issues including the points set out by Peter.

For too long Punch Taverns have allowed this potentially lovely pub to fester in lack of investment and support, something that they appear to excel in.

Good to meet you and your wife the other weekend, in the Bridge.

I lost the following weekend in the Anchor. Now that's my type of pub!

See you same time next year. If not before.

Glenn

Good to meet you and your wife the other weekend, in the Bridge.

I lost the following weekend in the Anchor. Now that's my type of pub!

See you same time next year. If not before.

Glenn

Lol,

I loved the expression 'lost the weekend'. Yeah, give us a shout next time you and that fine boat are down here and maybe by that time the new owner of The Fly will have regained his senses and harmonised the beer prices with those of The Bridge.

We walked up to The Bridge last night to find it nearly full with cheery customers enjoying their 'curry night' offer (a curry meal and a pint for £6.75), then walked back to see The Fly completely empty. If the new owner fulfils his promise to spend in excess of three hundred thousand pounds on the place he'd better start coming up with some new ideas!

Edited by Doorman

Lol,

I loved the expression 'lost the weekend'. Yeah, give us a shout next time you and that fine boat are down here and maybe by that time the new owner of The Fly will have regained his senses and harmonised the beer prices with those of The Bridge.

We walked up to The Bridge last night to find it nearly full with cheery customers enjoying their 'curry night' offer (a curry meal and a pint for £6.75), then walked back to see The Fly completely empty. If the new owner fulfils his promise to spend in excess of three hundred thousand pounds on the place he'd better start coming up with some new ideas!

A smile and friendly greeting from staff cost nothing and would be a great start.

Cheers

• 1 month later...

New horizon or false dawn?

The Shroppie Fly closes on Monday for a six week refurb and a promise from Punch Tavern's Project Manager that it will be the best pub in the village. When questioned about future beer prices the chap would not commit himself.

Considering that The Bridge pub some 80 metres further up the wharf is now quite a popular drinking and eating hole, largely due to Marston's competitive approach and not forgetting the landlord and landlady's warm and friendly ambience, Punch will have to do more than simply overhaul this tired and dated establishment.

Sensing that the guy was full of confidence in how well the 'new' pub will be received, I warned him that not far away there was a place where you could drink all you could for a few quid and the staff walk around all day half naked.

"Where's that?" he nervously enquired, Nantwich Swimming Baths was the answer!

Luckily, he has a sense of humour. Somehow I think he's going to have to draw upon that in the coming months. Both him and the new tenant who's ploughing in thousands of pounds to fund the refit.

:clapping:

that made me laugh

I'll be down your way in a week or so, i'll come look you up

It made him laugh too!

He just didn't see the punch line coming.

Send me a PM when you're about and maybe we can share a jug of ale (in The Bridge). :-)

Two main reasons, in my opinion for the demise of the British pub...

1) The cost of beer is astronomical, it has risen above inflation for decades. In the 1970's, it was normal to go to the pub every lunchtime for a pint or two, then again in the evening for a session. Nowadays you'd have to be fairly well-off to visit a pub more than two or three times a week.

2) The smoking ban. A substantial percentage of people still smoke, and said people tended to make up a substantial proportion of pub-goers until the ban came in, whereupon they withdrew their custom en masse and started drinking at home, the last place where their habits were still tolerated.

Two main reasons, in my opinion for the demise of the British pub...

1) The cost of beer is astronomical, it has risen above inflation for decades. In the 1970's, it was normal to go to the pub every lunchtime for a pint or two, then again in the evening for a session. Nowadays you'd have to be fairly well-off to visit a pub more than two or three times a week.

2) The smoking ban. A substantial percentage of people still smoke, and said people tended to make up a substantial proportion of pub-goers until the ban came in, whereupon they withdrew their custom en masse and started drinking at home, the last place where their habits were still tolerated.

One more reason - far more important than the smoking ban IMHO.

Drink Drive Legislation.

(Not saying that isn't a good thing and should be properly enforced of course)

One more reason - far more important than the smoking ban IMHO.

Drink Drive Legislation.

(Not saying that isn't a good thing and should be properly enforced of course)

Quite true, but the smoking ban was an excellent move for those who do not rely on the weed.

We quite often muse about the antics of smokers who sit outside the pub on dry days to enjoy a meal. They'll puff away merrily allowing their smoke to drift onto other diners, until that is, when their own meal arrives, then it's fags out until the last morsel has been eaten!

Edited by Doorman