The Shroppie Fly Pub

Doorman

Featured Posts

I have to say we had a cracking night in the Fly last Saturday. The (proper) beer was good and they had a really good band on.

Sunday was not a very productive day!

Good, there's hope yet.

And I think they have music tonight.

Which direction you travelling?

We may have crossed paths last weekend

Glenn.

Hello Glen,

You are quite right in your description of what used to be the busiest pub in the village. The present and hopefully temporary tenant is using the venue as a means to filter money through the system. This week there were two or even three days where there were no beer stocks at all!

Last weekend some clown was using the car park as a dodgem track and damaged a vehicle and the canal side fencing on his exit. They allegedly have a zero tolerance to drug use and trafficking, yet it is prevalent within the confines of the premises. It really is a shame the way Punch Taverns have allowed such an arrogant character to run the place.

Today, whilst you were the only person in the lounge, Mrs Doorman, our Paddy (the lab) and I were the only other customers in the place. We were there to enjoy the pool table whilst it lasts, because if the gentleman that I was speaking to yesterday has his way, that I'll be the first thing out of the door if he takes over. His priority apart from keeping regular supplies of beer, will be to provide good food at a decent price and a friendly atmosphere. Something that Marstons have been doing successfully at The Bridge for the last 18 months.

We can only hope that if he's successful in his bid to take on the tenancy, that he'll accommodate not only the core trade during the summer months, the boaters, but also the villagers in the winter months too. That way, if he retains both the pool table and the dart board, then he will realise who pays his wages when the boaters are all tucked up in their houses during the winter days!

Nice boat by the way.

Mike

Edited by Doorman

Mike,

I did see a lovely big lab under the table, ha.

If I'd known you were the ones playing pool I'd have made a point of saying hello.

There is a band playing now, but still empty I think.

Might pop in for a cider.

Cheers

And thanks, I think it's a nice boat too

Glenn

Good, there's hope yet.

I think it was probably the company we were with but the beer was good. I remain hopeful for the pub.

Heading north - currently on the Middlewich Branch if you're heading south we would have passed at some point, though we were probably hiding inside from the wind or rain or both!

Has our summer been nicked yet again?

Edited by Ange

Good, there's hope yet.

I think it was probably the company we were with but the beer was good. I remain hopeful for the pub.

Heading north - currently on the Middlewich Branch if you're heading south we would have passed at some point, though we were probably hiding inside from the wind or rain or both!

Has our summer been nicked yet again?

Heading north too.

Whaley bridge next.

Been in audlem a week, a lovely place to stay.

Glenn

I think it was probably the company we were with but the beer was good.

'Think'...........'Probably'.............????

How can there be any confusion or doubt concerning the crazy company you were with? Lol.

One was slowly decreasing in his ability to see straight, claiming it was the lack of food consumed throughout the day, but neglecting to count the copious amounts of falling down water consumed in between intakes of breath. Two others had more than their daily quota of vino collapso for their own good, resulting in a wheelbarrow ride back to the boat on the offside.

There was only yourselves and Lonewolf who had the sense to maintain an air of dignity and sobriety.

I am currently deep in thought on how best to design that adult version of a 'baby walker' in order to keep Mrs Doorman upright after such nights of frivolity. My biggest hurdle is in keeping the frame narrow enough to maintain an ability to reach the bar when it's her round!

Must crack on with that. :-)

Edited by Doorman

Mike,

I did see a lovely big lab under the table, ha.

If I'd known you were the ones playing pool I'd have made a point of saying hello.

Glenn

Yes, that was Paddy in his kennel.

If I'd also known that it was you snuggled in the corner by the bar, I too would have made a point of saying hello. Although we had spoken the previous day when I enquired about the draught of your fine boat.

It's a shame that boaters like you are seeing the pub in such a demise. It was once an iconic venue for boaters and music lovers alike and the atmosphere there was very inviting. It will take an awful lot of concerted effort from a new tenant and hopefully one sympathetic to boating traditions, in order to re-establish this potentially fine tavern back to where it belongs amongst memorable watering holes along the cut.

Mike

Edited by Doorman

Yes, that was Paddy in his kennel.

If I'd also known that it was you snuggled in the corner by the bar, I too would have made a point of saying hello. Although we had spoken the previous day when I enquired about the draught of your fine boat.

It's a shame that boaters like you are seeing the pub in such a demise. It was once an iconic venue for boaters and music lovers alike and the atmosphere there was very inviting. It will take an awful lot of concerted effort from a new tenant and hopefully one sympathetic to boating traditions, in order to re-establish this potentially fine tavern back to where it belongs amongst memorable watering holes along the cut.

Mike

Just got back from Braunston and the pub sounds busy. So I shall see.

And they have a happy hour, £2 a pint!

Cheers

Glenn.

Got it wrong, no happy hour

But....there are two brilliant guitarists playing.

Proper Jazz stuff.

Making my persistent attendance here worthwhile

Glenn

Watch out Glenn!

We were only visitors here some five years ago and now you couldn't shift us even with a crow bar. The place is infectious. :-)

Watch out Glenn!

We were only visitors here some five years ago and now you couldn't shift us even with a crow bar. The place is infectious. :-)

Ha, I agree.

I'll put audlem down as a special place.

there's been so many spots on my travels over the past year that I could stay

That's why I'm enjoying life on the cut.

Looking forward to finding many more.

Eager to hit the north.

Glenn

• 2 weeks later...

Not before time, the present incumbent of the Shroppie Fly has had his marching orders and a new tenant is due to take charge on Monday next week.

Following many incidents of suspected drug dealing, customers using the car park as a pin ball machine bouncing off other people's vehicles and writing one car off, some sort of calm may ensue and the potential of this iconic pub could just be realised once again. The new tenant has a number of other pubs which he successfully runs and doesn't need an outlet to launder money, as with the previous arrogant man. The pub was quite often left for several days without any beer and then whilst in the throws of a hectic and fruitful day, this chap would suddenly appear and raid the till of its takings leaving the staff without a float. What sort of way is that to run a business?

The new chap is keen to uphold the traditions of the pub and return the kitchen to a workable state providing a blend of good food at competitive prices. He also states that he'll try an 'open mike' night on Sundays providing a platform for anyone who's daring enough to belt a good song out. There could even be a Tom Jones impression or two on some occasions.

The main thing is that due to pressure from local residents, Punch Taverns have had to see sense and accede in replacing the one of dubious character with someone who knows the business. Why couldn't they have done this in the first instance and earned some proper income in the process.

Ain't that good news!

Edited by Doorman

It is indeed - thanks for the update

hopefully the new folks will be keeping the pool table ;)

Aye, and with a bit of good luck we shall be able to play again but this time with some sobriety. That's us, not you, Ange and Dave who were the only ones left that could utter a sentence without slobbering all over the place. :-)

Splendid news!

I shall be travelling through again towards the end of the month, so lovely news.

GlennSplendid news!

I shall be travelling through again towards the end of the month, so lovely news.

Glenn

Glenn,

I see that you still have that darned parrot on board!

Perhaps when you pass through next time we can have a pint or three and celebrate the new ownership.

Hope that means its all sorted with some good ale on in time for audlem transport festival on the 28th July.

Cheers

Gareth

Hi Gareth,

The new owner was oblivious to the news about both the Transport and Beer Festivals but hopefully now will take advantage of the two occasions. He has guaranteed that there will be no shortage of ale in future so things are looking up.

I too hope that things go well for the new management. Audlem is an ok place to stop.

Yes Madcat, you and many others, not only locally but from far and wide who travel these parts in the hope of a good meal and a decent canal side pint will be of the same frame of mind. Only time will tell whether the new chap is as good as his word.

He's already drawn up a list of young lads who will be banned from drinking at the pub. That's a great start and maybe the decent folk from the village will be encouraged to return to what was their local.

Edited by Doorman

I still prefer the boat. Always welcome there and Ive never had a bad pint unlike the Shroppie fly where I can't remember having a good a good pint. Will give it a try bit I think I will continue to give the Boat my custom

I still prefer the boat. Always welcome there and Ive never had a bad pint unlike the Shroppie fly where I can't remember having a good a good pint. Will give it a try bit I think I will continue to give the Boat my custom

Do you mean the Bridge?