The Shroppie Fly Pub

Doorman

Featured Posts

It would be interesting if anyone knows of a similar situation to the Shroppie Fly, whereby the discarded pub or lease is bought by the local council or cooperative and run for the benefit of the people rather than the Pubco bean counters. Audlem council have been monitoring the situation with interest, especially with the advent of festival season closing in quickly.

On a lighter note, I recall when being involved with Bargain Booze, going on a well earned jolly over to Paris with a few other winners of the franchise's incentive schemes. As well as one of the directors of the company being along for the ride, a top chap from Bass was there too. We would all mingle and enjoy the experience and inevitably, after a few cognacs, the mood would lighten even further.

The director of Bargain Booze was an extremely down to earth guy with a wicked sense of humour and the chap from Bass was a decent bloke whose name was Ivor Partridge. They recalled the first time they were introduced, whereby the director went to Bass head office with a remit of squeezing a very tight price on their products. Upon the director entering the plush office, Ivor introduced himself by saying; "Hello, Ivor Partridge", to which the director replied; "So what, I've a f*ckin chicken, but who cares!".

What an unusual way to begin a business relationship. :P

Edited by Doorman

It would be interesting if anyone knows of a similar situation to the Shroppie Fly, whereby the discarded pub or lease is bought by the local council or cooperative and run for the benefit of the people rather than the Pubco bean counters. Audlem council have been monitoring the situation with interest, especially with the advent of festival season closing in quickly.

Pretty sure the Greyhound at Barnoldswick was bought by a property developer with a view to demolishing the pub and building new houses on the land

The locals all objected to his request for planning permission and were then able to buy the pub back off the developer and run it as a co-operative if you google the pub find the link to Don or Angie, I am sure they will be more than happy to let you know how they did it

:cheers:

John

Pretty sure the Greyhound at Barnoldswick was bought by a property developer with a view to demolishing the pub and building new houses on the land

The locals all objected to his request for planning permission and were then able to buy the pub back off the developer and run it as a co-operative if you google the pub find the link to Don or Angie, I am sure they will be more than happy to let you know how they did it

John

Edited by Offcumden

Glad it's reopening and I hope it still has the bookcase. I was halfway through a book about Mike Baldwin last time I was in there.

ah, yes, that'll be the copy I used to :cheers: wipe up the beer spill thinking that no-one would ever read that rubbish..

John

Cheers John, I'll look that up. :cheers:

Glad it's reopening and I hope it still has the bookcase. I was halfway through a book about Mike Baldwin last time I was in there.

Ah, the bookcase.

What a good way to raise money towards the local hospice. We used to take our old books down there and pick up a bargain in return. The only problem was that where the bookcase was situated, under the stairs, many an interested reader would walk towards the books and clobber their head on the staircase, possibly in search of a book entitled 'Obstacle Awareness'. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Thankfully, after months of negotiations with Punch Taverns (T/A Dumb & Dumber),

a lady from Manchester looks likely to be taking on the expensive lease for The Shroppie Fly pub

on the Shropshire Union Canal at Audlem, Cheshire.

According to locals who have spoken to her,

she is keen to maintain the pub's boating traditions and musical heritage.

This good news will please not only the locals to the area,

but also many boaters who pass through Audlem on their travels.

ir17o9.jpg

o0yvio.jpg

After Punch Taverns placed a temporary landlord & landlady in their premises

following the retirement of the previous tenants, the place went rapidly downhill.

Lacking in heating, decent ale and atmosphere.

Even C&RT placed a warning sign on the doors.

2mn10d2.jpg

Meanwhile, one of the pub's most frequent drinkers (from a dog's bowl)

sits eagerly waiting for the grand re-opening day!

szbj1v.jpg

ETA The C&RT sign was borrowed and replaced from the adjoining Elsan

point that was condemned and now repaired! No animals were harmed during the photo shoot for this topic!

The pub is actually opening this Friday as first mentioned, but not by the original prospective new tenant whom withdrew from the deal after Punch & Judy Taverns demanded a further £12k at the eleventh hour (allegedly). If as rumoured, this is the case, is it any wonder that there has been little interest from serious candidates to take over the tenure of this iconic pub.

Once again, Punch have recruited an interim manager to oversee proceedings up until May, whereby refurbishment is to begin. I wonder if the contractors who have quoted for the task will wait until the end of April to announce a major hike in their original price? :angry:

In the meantime, cleaning contractors are busy removing the snail trails from all over the carpets and trying to remove the musty odour from the pub following months of closure. Months where any decent business owner would have ensured continuity of trade to maintain goodwill. Anyone that is, other than Punch Taverns.

Edited by Doorman

Say no more

You really have to wonder what these accountant led companies think is a sensible proposition, they seem to inhabit a different world to reality :angry:

Sadly, it appears to becoming the way of the world where money dictates the outcome of everything, good or bad! :rolleyes:

The Beer Orders have largely been a disaster, failing to accomplish much of what was intended and accomplishing much which wasn't. They have resulted in many former good pubs closing and many otherwise good tenants facing bankruptcy. The silver lining has been the big increase in small brewers producing a vast new supply of different beers, albeit at much increased cost.

The Beer Orders have largely been a disaster, failing to accomplish much of what was intended and accomplishing much which wasn't. They have resulted in many former good pubs closing and many otherwise good tenants facing bankruptcy. The silver lining has been the big increase in small brewers producing a vast new supply of different beers, albeit at much increased cost.

Tend to agree there Colin but greed and incompetence by the likes of Punch and others like them haven't really encouraged the success of the pub trade over the last decade.

Mike

Edited by Doorman

Cheers John, I'll look that up. :cheers:

Ah, the bookcase.

What a good way to raise money towards the local hospice. We used to take our old books down there and pick up a bargain in return. The only problem was that where the bookcase was situated, under the stairs, many an interested reader would walk towards the books and clobber their head on the staircase, possibly in search of a book entitled 'Obstacle Awareness'. :rolleyes:

I think it has been about 25 years since I last visited the Shroppi fly, something seems to have changed. Bookcase! What bookcase. Every part of the pup was just about lined with books. It was deemed to be a boaters free library, you brought some books in, and took some out. Operated successfully for decades.

Loved the pub. Fond memories of being moored up outside for a couple of days because one of the locks above was broken!

I think it has been about 25 years since I last visited the Shroppi fly, something seems to have changed. Bookcase! What bookcase. Every part of the pup was just about lined with books. It was deemed to be a boaters free library, you brought some books in, and took some out. Operated successfully for decades.

Loved the pub. Fond memories of being moored up outside for a couple of days because one of the locks above was broken!

Hi Alan,

Yes, there are still some other bookcases in the pub, but the one in question was situated under the stairs that led to the accommodation side of the premises. Kate & Andy, who used to run the pub, raised hundreds of pounds in favour of the local hospice by running a book exchange for a small fee.

Money well spent and very much appreciated by the hospice.

Mike

Tend to agree there Colin but greed and incompetence by the likes of Punch and others like them haven't really encouraged the success of the pub trade over the last decade.

Mike

Punch and Enterprise in particular (there are other greedy, money grabbing, leaveraged pub companies available) have been the very worst aspect of the beer orders.

I have to say we've had a couple of shockers in this place in recent years, one as recenly as two years ago when there were simply no excuses for what was served, especially given it was a quiet evening. Tried it a couple of times since and the place hardly redeemed itself on either occasion. In years gone by we've had one or two very good meals but generally found the place over-priced and overrated, albeit not bad except the couple of recent experiences. It's undeniably in a fantastic setting though so hopefully the new tenant(s) will make a good go of it and make it a worthwhile place to eat out.

I have to say we've had a couple of shockers in this place in recent years, one as recenly as two years ago when there were simply no excuses for what was served, especially given it was a quiet evening. Tried it a couple of times since and the place hardly redeemed itself on either occasion. In years gone by we've had one or two very good meals but generally found the place over-priced and overrated, albeit not bad except the couple of recent experiences. It's undeniably in a fantastic setting though so hopefully the new tenant(s) will make a good go of it and make it a worthwhile place to eat out.

You are not alone there.

After being initially acquainted to the pub some years ago by two of our boating friends, we had a couple of beers and a 'meal' in the afternoon. The following day we returned to the bar where I asked the young batman for two warm pints of beer served in dirty glasses. He looked quite indignant at me and advised that he couldn't do that. "Why?" I asked, "you did it for me yesterday!".

Sadly, the satirical criticism went right over the young graduate's head. And there might I add, was the reason for the occasional poor service in the Shroppie Fly. Transitional staff whom worked during their half-term or summer break holidays. Not really a valid excuse for a poor return on your payment, but during busy periods young people were recruited to help out. Some were excellent, some were pretty poor.

Overall, the ambience of the place won us two wrinklies over, together with the unbelievable generosity of both the landlord and landlady, not forgetting the regulars who have now dispersed to the other two fine pubs in the village.

Mike

Not quite. ? But not very far away.

I know Fred, I pass your boat every day. I was just kidding about the car park.

Opens up tomorrow and Morris Dancers there on Saturday afternoon. They're always good for a laugh. :cheers:

Mike

Opens up tomorrow and Morris Dancers there on Saturday afternoon. They're always good for a laugh. :cheers:

Mike

So no Real Ale then, if the dray is only just delivering today.

Ian

You are not alone there.

After being initially acquainted to the pub some years ago by two of our boating friends, we had a couple of beers and a 'meal' in the afternoon. The following day we returned to the bar where I asked the young batman for two warm pints of beer served in dirty glasses. He looked quite indignant at me and advised that he couldn't do that. "Why?" I asked, "you did it for me yesterday!".

Was young Robin with him? :cheers:

[

Mike

I will make the effort to be there seeing as it's not too far. Any chance you may introduce yourself? Could buy you a pint.

Fred

Well, the Shroppie Fly reopened last night (Good Friday) at 7.00pm, so let's see how it goes. I couldn't quite discover what terms the new people have got it on, i.e. short term or longer term. Time will tell, but at least it has reopened.

Was young Robin with him? :cheers:

:P

Heavens to murky trolls!

These bloody iPads have a lot to answer for. They predict what you intend to text and if you don't review your post you end up with something like this :wacko: