Musician moving onto a boat

Homer 123

Featured Posts

I am a music teacher, playing clarinet flute and saxophone. Am I going to be allowed to practice- within reasonable hours of course- on a boat or is it likely to get complaints either from passersby or other boaters?

Also some friends that I play with are talking about a ' boat warming drink' with a small jazz band. Would I have to get anyone's permission to do this? I don't want to start off on the wrong foot!

Also some friends that I play with are talking about a ' boat warming drink' with a small jazz band. Would I have to get anyone's permission to do this? I don't want to start off on the wrong foot!

The great thing about it being a boat you can just move it to somewhere that is away from other boats. When is the party sounds like fun

Who is this 'Largely'...and why does he depend on you?

Littley's mate.

If you run a loud enough generator outside, nobody on the tow-path will be able to hear you playing anyway......

(..... I'm only joking, before I get a load of incoming!........)

Damn, I was going to suggest that..

There is a geezer near us who plays a Baritone in his boat. Many passes by appear to enjoy listening to it. Seemingly somebody did once complain, but there is always one isn't there?

There is a geezer near us who plays a Baritone in his boat. Many passes by appear to enjoy listening to it. Seemingly somebody did once complain, but there is always one isn't there?

I am a Baritone, and I'm not letting any geezer play me, thank you very much :o

Richard

Thanks for your replies, made me feel better! No dates set yet. Yes, always one! I live in a village and had a complaint about my cockerel and then he mysteriously died when I was away. No chickens or cockerels coming, just me, 2 golden retrievers and an African grey parrot who whistles Mozart arias!

I am a music teacher, playing clarinet flute and saxophone. Am I going to be allowed to practice- within reasonable hours of course- on a boat or is it likely to get complaints either from passersby or other boaters?

I suspect that as long as you are reasonable you may find you spend a number of summer evenings on the towpath taking part in informal jam session with other boating musicians. Especially if you tell the moorers nearby that you intend to have a party.

I play whistles, clarinet, flute, banjo and now learning to play violin, all self taught, I have in fact had one lesson on the whistle whilst on holiday in Dingle Ireland, two lessons on clarinet. Could I ask you, of the clarinet and flute which would you say is hardest to play. I seem to prefer the flute over the clarinet, this I think is because the inconsistancy of the reeds, which tends to put me off, I use Vandorun, what reeds would you recomend.

I am hoping to get a little band together this summer at the marina, there are one or two quite pubs around the area which I am sure they would welcome some extra trade, a little Irish music and also some rock, and of course the music would be free.

Must get back to the violin practice now.

I think most people are pretty tolerant, especially if the music is well played. That said, it's going to depend where you moor. I know of a boater who had to move his marina mooring as he was getting hours of very bad sax practise from a learner on the boat next door, same tune badly done time after time for hours every day, but the boats there are just inches away from each other. Generally it doesn't usually cause much problem.

Cross posted with Matty!!

Edited by Ally

I am a Baritone, and I'm not letting any geezer play me, thank you very much :o

Richard

:cheers:

I probably should have said "Baritone horn." Then again, that sounds worse somehow..

I play whistles, clarinet, flute, banjo and now learning to play violin, all self taught, I have in fact had one lesson on the whistle whilst on holiday in Dingle Ireland, two lessons on clarinet. Could I ask you, of the clarinet and flute which would you say is hardest to play. I seem to prefer the flute over the clarinet, this I think is because the inconsistancy of the reeds, which tends to put me off, I use Vandorun, what reeds would you recomend.

I am hoping to get a little band together this summer at the marina, there are one or two quite pubs around the area which I am sure they would welcome some extra trade, a little Irish music and also some rock, and of course the music would be free.

Must get back to the violin practice now.

The weather and humidy affects the reeds but van drone are the best. Not sure which I'd say is easiest, probably clarinet, despite the reed problems.

I'm intending to moor along the side of the bank and move on every 2 weeks. And then take a winter mooring. To start with anyway!