Musician moving onto a boat

Homer 123

Featured Posts

It really does depend if you're any good!

I live next door to ex-cathedral organist who used to practice on a piano in his conservatory for hours every day, making sitting in the garden absolutely fantastic. He was brilliant! Poor chap once apologised for making a row, but we soon put him straight. :) Now he's in his 90's and sadly he's stopped playing altogether now. Summer BBQ's just aren't the same anymore. :(

:) its like everything in life IMO as long as you are considerate to your neighbours, whether you live in a house or on a boat, do that and all should be well. In life you may get grumpy people who may complain, but thats life. Music is one of the keys of life as everyone can enjoy : ) I love singing and dancing and my music loud, and years ago I would just move along the cut to a quiet spot for a jam session and never had any problems. Just enjoy and have lots of fun and think of others and you will be fine, boogies off back to work lol ; )

So which musician would you like to move into a boat on a mooring within earshot of you? I first thought of Jools Holland but I guess the thunder of his boogie-woogies might get a bit wearing after a while. Ernest Ranglin or BB King then, great guitarists both, but both very "senior" now, so you might get roped in to do all their shopping for them, take their cassette to the sani station, chop the wood for their stove....maybe Chris Leslie of Fairport, who plays fiddle and mandolin with finesse and panache, and not too bleedin' loud! I can imagine his music floating along the towpath (mixed metaphor alert?)

Any other nominations?

Please don't moor next to me and play music. I find it disturbs my work.

When I use my circular saw I tend to get less straight results. And when hammering nails I miss the nail head more often.

Thank you.laugh.gif

Edited by system 4-50

Please don't moor next to me and play music. I find it disturbs my work.

When I use my circular saw I tend to get less straight results. And when hammering nails I miss the nail head more often.

Thank you.

Perhaps hammering in time to the music would help.

I had been wondering about this issue! Considering buying a boat and would be living with other permanently moored residential narrowboaters cheek by jowl. My daughter stomps around dancing constantly and my son plays keyboards and guitar. Occasional blasts of a trumpet which neither knows how to play can also be heard. I was worrying we might become unpopular! My son's favourite at the moment is The Final Countdown on his keyboard - classic. Thankfully he is pretty good on the guitar (due to 2 years of me paying £22 a month for his lesson!) and has self taught himself the keyboard which he plays by ear (not literally you understand, that really would be odd).

I am a music teacher, playing clarinet flute and saxophone. Am I going to be allowed to practice- within reasonable hours of course- on a boat or is it likely to get complaints either from passersby or other boaters?

Also some friends that I play with are talking about a ' boat warming drink' with a small jazz band. Would I have to get anyone's permission to do this? I don't want to start off on the wrong foot!

You are welcome to moor next to us.. My wife plays clarinet, sax and melodeon (not all at the same time!).. Jazz and folk.