charitable trust for help to inland boaters?

Titan

Featured Posts

Being quite new to boat ownership etc, as like many others i search for info, and often just ask for advice rather than search and advice is allways forthcoming and gratefully received. But not being a mbr of IWA or infact any other organisation related to the waterways, is there a charity set up other than the rnli, that helps people from the boating fraterenity ?

I ask as i am not aware of one ? I as mechanic often support BEN, it tiny charity for people assoscited to the motor trade, and would like to know if theres a canal river equivant?

If not my next thought is there could be, ought to be? so many of us on here all (mostly) here to help, one of the first boat peeps i met ten yrs ago is still going now but he is very very old has no family and lives happily on his spriger. he is a real character, but if and when he needs real assistance who does he turn to? im sure the marina will help some but only to a degree.

I would be pleased to know if theres a sort of boaters benevolent fund or something? im not versed to put things across correctly or to proper grammer so forgive this post in my ignorance. regards Martin

Edited by Titan
  • Greenie 2

Being quite new to boat ownership etc, as like many others i search for info, and often just ask for advice rather than search and advice is allways forthcoming and gratefully received. But not being a mbr of IWA or infact any other organisation related to the waterways, is there a charity set up other than the rnli, that helps people from the boating fraterenity ?

I ask as i am not aware of one ? I as mechanic often support BEN, it tiny charity for people assoscited to the motor trade, and would like to know if theres a canal river equivant?

If not my next thought is there could be, ought to be? so many of us on here all (mostly) here to help, one of the first boat peeps i met ten yrs ago is still going now but he is very very old has no family and lives happily on his spriger. he is a real character, but if and when he needs real assistance who does he turn to? im sure the marina will help some but only to a degree.

I would be pleased to know if theres a sort of boaters benevolent fund or something? im not versed to put things across correctly or to proper grammer so forgive this post in my ignorance. regards Martin

Must say I find this thought most appealing.

In all the threads on here about some Liveaboards (inc. Continuous Cruisers, Continuous Moorers and Bridge Hoppers) some strong opinions, and drastic actions are often aired.

Although there are a few who will always take advantage of the system, I do worry that Draconian solutions do not take account of those who are in genuine difficulty.

And I suspect it may be more than we think. These are people who need to be protected and helped, not hounded from pillar to post by drastic legislation and new rules.

There will be people who take to the water for a myriad of reasons sometimes forced upon them by a radical change in circumstances. Life can be incredibly cruel sometimes - illness, poverty, divorce, tradgedy, abuse, addiction, mental health and so on, can strike anyone, however noble and upstanding they once were. And I have no doubt that most would dearly love to find a way out from their situation - much more than the authorities might want to just rid the waterways of their (perceived) embarrassing presence. These people are important and deserve help.

That is why I find this suggestion attractive.

A Benevolent Charity specifically to assist liveaboard boaters in difficulty (NOT leisure cruisers, hirers etc) could go a long way to resolving some of the "problems" CRT are trying hard to deal with, but a new mindset is required.

It could be in CRTs own interests to fund the start up of such an organisation, but independent from them. So when an individual is considered to be a "problem" and apparently not complying with the rules, they could initially be referred to such a Benevolent Society. This could identify then those who were truly just taking the p**s, who could then be dealt with most severely (and little sympathy from the boating community), and those in genuine difficulty helped in whatever ways necessary, to alleviate their difficulty and become compliant.

I would gladly support such a more humane and civilised approach towards our liveaboard boating community ( although I am not one myself).

• Greenie 3

Didn't you know?

If you are struggling through disability, age or poverty then the canals are no place for you.

Personally I think it is an excellent idea now that the above attitude seems to be displayed so often here and elsewhere.

10-15 years ago there would have been no need for such an organisation as assistance would have been readily and freely given.

• Greenie 1

I would be pleased to know if theres a sort of boaters benevolent fund or something?

I think that you might be describing something to be run along the lines of the old Seamen's mission. However, your idea is not new. There were in past years, secular and faith based missions on the canal who looked out as far as practical for the welfare of the old narrowboat families. I am not aware of any such service still in operation - but I could be wrong.

I find this an interesting topic as there are more boats on the canals now than there were in the old days. It's often said, what goes around comes around. Maybe it is time for a secular or faith based mission to the elderly living on boats. I don't believe for one moment that the various local social services have all the bases covered on this one.

There are one or two others on this forum who, like me will have taken advantage of the various Christian seaman's missions. It's been a few years now, but the last one that I visited was the “Stella Maris” on the dock road in Tilbury. As I waited on a bitterly cold day for a ship to dock. A hot bath and a very good meal put me on. There is a book which gives some background titled the “Seamen's Mission: Their Origin and Early Growth” by Roald Kverndal.

Didn't you know?

If you are struggling through disability, age or poverty then the canals are no place for you.

Personally I think it is an excellent idea now that the above attitude seems to be displayed so often here and elsewhere.

10-15 years ago there would have been no need for such an organisation as assistance would have been readily and freely given.

Actually I don't think that 10-15 years ago attitudes were any different and many would have helped then as in fact help now. Forums create a lot of noise but most boaters rich and poor still in the main look out for each other

Edited by Tuscan

A lady came to our meeting who covers the area as the waterways chaplain. CRT have been using her to help with people struggling over benefits etc. I will ask her if its ok to link her on this site. I think the OP has brought up a good point and it deserves some time and effort putting into it. Will keep you posted.

This is an excellent idea. Many in the boating community are helpful to each other anyway, but this would be a good resource for anyone struggling. Its not always just financial help, but general support people most often need. I'll certainly back such a scheme in whatever way I can.

A lady came to our meeting who covers the area as the waterways chaplain. CRT have been using her to help with people struggling over benefits etc. I will ask her if its ok to link her on this site. I think the OP has brought up a good point and it deserves some time and effort putting into it. Will keep you posted.

There's a liveaboard vicar on the Kennet and Avon who has been going round the boats with boxes of food and coal for those struggling. Donated by his church so I understand.

Why would someone living on a boat need this more than someone living in a house or flat?

The RNLI exists to save lives hardly a situation that can occour on canals.

Better to help one of the existing national bodies like the CAB, would be more use to all.

There are times when elderly, or ill boaters cannot get the support those on land can, & fall through the net. I am thinking particularly of stories we have heard of medical services refusing to board boats due to h&s risk assessments, and the like, so I have to disagree, there are many situations where inland boaters are at a disadvantage. This is just one example.

The same reason you wouldn't call out the RNLI to rescue a cat; horses for courses. I don't believe CAB would have the resources or expertise to help with boating specific issues such as those helped by Smelly (eg).

Why would someone living on a boat need this more than someone living in a house or flat?

Better to help one of the existing national bodies like the CAB, would be more use to all.

How did the RNLI get into this? Seamen's Missions were mentioned, not lifeboats. It seems a good idea, and to be applauded, but hopefully organised on a local basis, not canalwide with a topheavy organisation.

I think there are some unique features to living on a boat, which CAB would be quite unfamiliar with. As would any existing charity.

My own feeling is that it is other boaters alone who have the necessary knowledge/understanding of waterways issues to be of real help. And I include CRT in that.

And it would be such people who could most effectively make up any such charity.

Its probably true that much already goes on in boating communities unheard about, but it is luck of the draw whether any needy individual happens to be in such a community at the time help is needed. A national charity could help make help available much more widely and consistently. It would not only help those in need, but also those who are giving the help would have some sort of backup and resources, which they may not have as individuals.

I don't know the figures, but it seems unlikely there are more than say 3 or 4 thousand liveaboards spread across the country, of whom a small proportion may need assistance sometimes. So we are talking about a very small type of benevolent society. More on the scale of a village, but widely distributed across the UK.

How did the RNLI get into this? Seamen's Missions were mentioned, not lifeboats. It seems a good idea, and to be applauded, but hopefully organised on a local basis, not canalwide with a topheavy organisation.

RNLI was mentioed by the OP but in lower case

There are times when elderly, or ill boaters cannot get the support those on land can, & fall through the net. I am thinking particularly of stories we have heard of medical services refusing to board boats due to h&s risk assessments, and the like, so I have to disagree, there are many situations where inland boaters are at a disadvantage. This is just one example.

Well it must vary from area to area or are they just stories as the ambulance service has been out to my next door neighbours 3 times in the last year with no H&S worries

Edited by idleness

Actually I don't think that 10-15 years ago attitudes were any different and many would have helped then as in fact help now. Forums create a lot of noise but most boaters rich and poor still in the main look out for each other

Having been refloating peoples boats for the past 20 odd years I noticed a significant change from offers of help to snide remarks around 2004ish.

Prior to that one would get annoyed at the "You'll never float that" mickey taking and the really nasty comments were very few and far between but after that there was more and more outright abuse, threats to get BW to break up the boat and even the odd threat of violence for delaying someone's journey.

I don't think attitudes have changed much at all on the forums, to be honest, and the same people make the same noises.

When you're desperately trying to restart a water pump and can see the water pouring back into a boat you're refloating you'd be amazed at how welcome a charitable soul offering to help with a bucket is.

Likewise when you've been neck deep in BCN water for hours and a brand new boat stops, turns around, goes back to their marina mooring and the owners turn up half an hour later with Burger Kings for all and forfeit their maiden voyage in order to act as caterers for a week you appreciate folks' charity.

Well it must vary from area to area or are they just stories as the ambulance service has been out to my next door neighbours 3 times in the last year with no H&S worries

When my first son was born both the midwife and health visitor refused to walk 5 minutes up a surfaced towpath to see him.

In contrast the next health visitor arrived in her kayak.

Edited by carlt

I was refering to charitable bodies not people, there is a world of difference.

Charitable bodies are, at their core, just organised groups of charitable people.

It is when they become bloated organisations spending more time justifying their existence than doing charitable works that there becomes a distinction.

It is when they become bloated organisations spending more time justifying their existence than doing charitable works that there becomes a distinction.

As most of them are with one or two notable exceptions.