CRT - Robin Evans Resigns

Richard Fairhurst

Featured Posts

He is pro boater and one of the few to question BW/CaRT performance

Few amongst who? - I read there are shed loads willing to do this....on here alone.

Edited by The Dog House

Yes I know, but he was dead against making it a trust, and made it publicly clear. Would he now eat humble pie?

I just hope it's someone with good knowledge of a charity and how it runs. That above anything else is what I feel is needed.

Being Pro boaters is a nice benefit for boaters, but unfortunately The Trust is about more than just boaters. It is about running a 3rd sector company with a large budget and equally large portfolio of property. This senior position requires someone that is able to ensure that it squeezes every last penny from every possible income source. It is time for a change not because I have anything against Robin Evans (I actually think he has done quite a good job) but because The Trust needs some new direction and someone who does not carry the baggage of BW.

With regards to Sally Ash, I have found her to be very receptive to listening to the views of boater. She is attending the Boaters meeting in Skipton tomorrow and The Cowley meeting on Monday. She has not shyed away from answering awkward questions. It is very difficult to please 30,000 boaters it must be very difficult when so many people hold so many different views. The thing I do like about Sally is the fact that she is prepared to listen to possible solutions but at the end of the day she has to consult with senior management and The Trustees so it is a very difficult job.

• Greenie 2

Wasn't F*****n off another web site was it?

"Don't mention the war, I did but I think I got away with it".

It's not something which has been discussed online afaik. I can't really give details as it wasn't me that was being harmed. What I can say is that a commercial moorings manager used deception and coercion to try and manipulate other moorers into assisting of the eviction of another. It didn't work but Sally Ash closed ranks with her staff member and dismissed out of hand any need to investigate further. I still have the relevant emails.

Edited by Dave_P

Being Pro boaters is a nice benefit for boaters, but unfortunately The Trust is about more than just boaters. It is about running a 3rd sector company with a large budget and equally large portfolio of property. This senior position requires someone that is able to ensure that it squeezes every last penny from every possible income source. It is time for a change not because I have anything against Robin Evans (I actually think he has done quite a good job) but because The Trust needs some new direction and someone who does not carry the baggage of BW.

With regards to Sally Ash, I have found her to be very receptive to listening to the views of boater. She is attending the Boaters meeting in Skipton tomorrow and The Cowley meeting on Monday. She has not shyed away from answering awkward questions. It is very difficult to please 30,000 boaters it must be very difficult when so many people hold so many different views. The thing I do like about Sally is the fact that she is prepared to listen to possible solutions but at the end of the day she has to consult with senior management and The Trustees so it is a very difficult job.

I also think Sally Ash is an assett. Anybody who answers work emails at 0130 is either an insomniac or takes their job seriously.

Well said that man

Posted Today, 08:25 AM

snapback.pngjelunga, on 10 January 2013 - 07:50 AM, said:

I also think Sally Ash is an assett. Anybody who answers work emails at 0130 is either an insomniac or takes their job seriously.

And over the Christmas period!!!!! She is very committed to her job

John

Slightly :smiley_offtopic: I once had a boss who said "I've converted the basement in my house to an office. If I haven't finished my emails by 23:30 I know I am already running behind for tomorrow"

Working these hours goes with the territory of being management in the public sector. When I was a manager in BT I once complained about having to work a 12 hour day (including 45 min travelling each way). I was told "If you don't like working for this company the door is that way. By the way there are many out there who would be willing to do your job at less pay".

Working long hours is not always efficiency.

Polly Toynbee once wrote an illuminating article in the Radio Times: "Lunch is for wimps".

I once came across a typical Americanism "Make the minimum do the maximum".

Edited by Ray T

Or (call me a cynic) uses a system which sends them out automatically when traffic on the system is low.

I once queried an email I received timed at 3:30am and was told this was the reason.

It's not something which has been discussed online afaik. I can't really give details as it wasn't me that was being harmed. What I can say is that a commercial moorings manager used deception and coercion to try and manipulate other moorers into assisting of the eviction of another. It didn't work but Sally Ash closed ranks with her staff member and dismissed out of hand any need to investigate further. I still have the relevant emails.

It is interesting that there are a steady supply of people who can relate tales of some dastardly deeds by Ms Ash, but who aren't at liberty to disclose the full details, yet precious few who can give a substantive account that stands up to scrutiny.

There are also a large number of people who are standing up to say that they have never had a problem with her (me included, in respect of two formal complaints where she was extremely helpful and courteous)

To be honest, much of the demonisation of Sally Ash seems to stem from cases where she was just doing her job, and people didn't like that.

She has a job to do, and in some cases that will mean that people don't like the outcome. That doesn't mean that the outcome was ALWAYS wrong, just that somebody didn't like it.

• Greenie 1

Yes I know, but he was dead against making it a trust, and made it publicly clear. Would he now eat humble pie?

I just hope it's someone with good knowledge of a charity and how it runs. That above anything else is what I feel is needed.

David was never anti-trust; he was anti a trust set up without adequate funding which was the original proposal. David is currently President of the K&A Trust and also set up the Bruce Trust to help disabled people, one of the Bruce Trust boats went to the Para-Olympics this year to assist disabled athletes.

I know David well, he tells it how he sees it, he's commercially astute, understands how charities work and has been involved with the Inland Waterways for years, including restoring the K&A.

Certainly there could be far worse choices for the role.

Ken

David was never anti-trust; he was anti a trust set up without adequate funding which was the original proposal. David is currently President of the K&A Trust and also set up the Bruce Trust to help disabled people, one of the Bruce Trust boats went to the Para-Olympics this year to assist disabled athletes.

I know David well, he tells it how he sees it, he's commercially astute, understands how charities work and has been involved with the Inland Waterways for years, including restoring the K&A.

Ken

I am we'll aware of his activities, hence my question. I was merely saying as I saw.

Ken

Absolutely agree.

However, the reality is that the Trust has been set up with totally inadequate funding and he would be unlikely to take it on.

Also, his criticisms of BW's commercial performance were taken as a personal insult by Tony Hales. As such an offer will never be made.

Allan, you are too modest to mention that there's a campaign afoot for you to be the next CEO! https://twitter.com/narrowboatworld/...

His supporters have not given him the best possible launch then, given that we are regularly pleaded with to use the CRT abbreviation, rather than the CART one.

Mind you Allan's forename has got an unnecessary extra letter in it too.......

(Alan)

Why isn't the cc issue sorted after very many years of talking?

Because it's never been that important to BW/CRT?

It seems to me that most of the "talking" is just a sop to those that whinge about someone getting something for nothing and has been a hindrance in solving the real problem...overstayers on lock landings and utility or short term moorings.