CRT - Robin Evans Resigns

Richard Fairhurst

Featured Posts

Just announced. Stepping down in May. C&RT "will now begin the search for a new chief exec".

(Have posted the full statement at http://canal.travel/post/robin-evans-step-down-canal-river-trust-chief-exec)

Good. I hope they can now appoint someone with the proper competences.

N

Edited by BEngo
  • Greenie 2

Beat me to it Richard!

About time too - having presided over so many disasters.

I suppose he will now collect a 6 figure pension, collect a gong for "services to the waterways" and get a directorship or two on main suppliers to Cart.

• Greenie 1

Just announced. Stepping down in May. C&RT "will now begin the search for a new chief exec".

(Have posted the full statement at http://canal.travel/post/robin-evans-step-down-canal-river-trust-chief-exec)

No doubt Narrowmindedparanoidworld will soon be trying to take the credit for his departure.... :rolleyes:

I think this should go in the joke thread:

After ten years as chief executive of British Waterways and (since July 2012) the Canal & River Trust, Robin Evans has decided to step down at the end of May 2013. Robin said: “I want to pursue other interests and opportunities and now the Trust is firmly established I feel it’s the right time for me to move on and a perfect time for the Trust to have a new leader.”

He added: “It has been a privilege to lead these two great organisations and I am very proud of what we have achieved over the past ten years. Having agreed the transfer of the waterways into the Third Sector together with £500m of endowment property and a 15 year funding agreement from government, the Trust is on a more secure financial footing with a more positive outlook than we’ve probably ever had.

“I will always be grateful for the encouragement and support of a great many people both inside and outside of the Trust who have helped lay what I believe are the foundations for a strong and vibrant future for our much loved waterways.”

Tony Hales, chair of the Canal & River Trust, said: “Robin told us in November that he intended to step down in May and we will be very sorry to lose him. He has served with great dedication and inspirational vision. His determination to see that vision realised in the foundation of the Trust, has transformed the long term prospects for the waterways. The former Board of British Waterways and the current Trustees wish him well and thank him for his outstanding contribution to the canals and rivers we all love.”

MMmmmm...

First we lose 2 trustees and now the CEO.....

Does anyone else think that the phrase 'rats and a sinking ship springs to mind.......?

PS If people are getting so 'het up' about the financial aspects of the severance arrangements why not ask for the facts through a FOI request.

MMmmmm...

Does anyone else think that the phrase 'rats and a sinking ship springs to mind.......?

PS If people are getting so 'het up' about the financial aspects of the severance arrangements why not ask for the facts through a FOI request.

I don't believe it's a sinking ship. He always said he would stand down once the trust was established. From what I can see at the moment, the trust seems to be doing quite well.

Then of course, there's that little saying "better the devil you know, than the devil you don't".

FROM JONOTHAN LUDFORD CRT:

Issued: 9 January 2013

Canal & River Trust chief executive to step down in May 2013

After ten years as chief executive of British Waterways and (since July 2012) the Canal & River Trust, Robin Evans has decided to step down at the end of May 2013. Robin said: I want to pursue other interests and opportunities and now the Trust is firmly established I feel its the right time for me to move on and a perfect time for the Trust to have a new leader.

He added: It has been a privilege to lead these two great organisations and I am very proud of what we have achieved over the past ten years. Having agreed the transfer of the waterways into the Third Sector together with £500m of endowment property and a 15 year funding agreement from government, the Trust is on a more secure financial footing with a more positive outlook than weve probably ever had.

I will always be grateful for the encouragement and support of a great many people both inside and outside of the Trust who have helped lay what I believe are the foundations for a strong and vibrant future for our much loved waterways.

Tony Hales, chair of the Canal & River Trust, said: Robin told us in November that he intended to step down in May and we will be very sorry to lose him. He has served with great dedication and inspirational vision. His determination to see that vision realised in the foundation of the Trust, has transformed the long term prospects for the waterways. The former Board of British Waterways and the current Trustees wish him well and thank him for his outstanding contribution to the canals and rivers we all love.

The Trustees will now begin the search for a new chief executive and more details will be announced shortly.

Tony Hales has been asked by Trustees to stay on as chair to help ensure a smooth transition and he has kindly agreed to do so.

ENDS

For further media requests please contact:

Jonathan Ludford, Canal & River Trust

Jonathan.ludford@canalrivertrust.org.uk

T: 020 3204 4514 M: 07747 897783

Edited by Laurence Hogg

MMmmmm...

No I think it's a fairly natural transition process.

CEOs are often asked to stay on during a major change then leave when things have settled down, allowing a new regime to take over.

I don't believe it's a sinking ship. He always said he would stand down once the trust was established. From what I can see at the moment, the trust seems to be doing quite well.

Then of course, there's that little saying "better the devil you know, than the devil you don't".

You are probably correct - I actually found the 2 trustees departure's more concerning that this.

It is indeed pretty common for a CEO to move on once they have see a transition such as this through.

CEOs are often asked to stay on during a major change then leave when things have settled down, allowing a new regime to take over.

see further post

MMmmmm...

Actually, Robin Evans will be the second executive director to leave and an announcement has been made on a third.

... and Tony Hales announced sometime back that he was going but has yet to give a date.

So the tally is three executives and three trustees either going or gone.

With regard to severance arrangements, historically these tend to be in the order of hundreds of thousands of pounds equivalent to a years salary, taxable benefits, high earner pension benefits and even bonus.

**** Edited to add that BW executive directors retire at 60. A move was made to increase that to 65 some years ago but was blocked by BW's board. I wonder if Evans is 60 in May 2013.

Edited by Allan(nb Albert)

I agree this I am sure was on the cards when the transition was signed off. I would be suprised that there is anything sinister in this change.

Right thats it...........Time to start my speech writing.....I WANT THAT JOB.........I will work for 40hrs a week for 44 weeks a year ( I do need some cruising time ! ) at a cost of £44k per annum plus sensible expenses, thats it , no golden handshake or anything else. AND I PROMISE. to kick arse and make things happen for the good of all boaters and other users,, BUT unlicensed boaters beware Your boats will be DESTROYED OR SOLD dependant on condition , and as for all those Scumbags that litter the towpath making it look like a rubbish tip ......

BOATS CONFISCATED and sold and the money used on clean ups and bank trimming. Chopping down of severe growth on the offside will happen at a rate that means we can actually see a difference and get wider canals ! , And within a reasonable time frame the reeds will be a thing of the past. Managers and suits will be reduced greatly and men in overalls namely lengthsmen will be employed .

And thats just a small portion of what I think needs starting first !

Who wants to vote me in ?

Old Git

Managers and suits will be reduced greatly and men in overalls namely lengthsmen will be employed .

And thats just a small portion of what I think needs starting first !

Who wants to vote me in ?

Old Git

Unless you work on your awareness of equal ops. I suspect you will stand little chance......

Unless you work on your awareness of equal ops. I suspect you will stand little chance......

Thats the problem,

We live in a namby pamby state and no one will make a decision nowadays.......We need to get back to a Self worth and work ethic, and as for teaching kids "nobody loses we are all winners and equal" AAARRRRGGGHHHHH ! Grow up , Society needs to learn.

Old Git

Having just got rid of one criminal (waste of space) why would i want to vote for another?

Destroying an unlicensed boat is illegal.

Change the rules ! Or Anarchy takes over, stop the rot become sensible

Beat me to it Richard!

About time too - having presided over so many disasters.

I suppose he will now collect a 6 figure pension, collect a gong for "services to the waterways" and get a directorship or two on main suppliers to Cart.

I would have expected him to now take over BWML, as he committed so much time and effort (and finance) to it over the last few years.

Is there any news as to where he is going?

Alex