THIEVING LITTLE GETS

Titus

Featured Posts

Playground or no playground im sorry to hear of petty damage and theft from a narrowboat, 20 years in as yet and touch wood we have had no trouble but we leave the boat all over the place, and it is something I dont look forward to finding on my return.

Glad its been reported, even if nothing comes of this per say, atleast its recored on the stats, and the finger prints are taken should re-offense occur.

Daniel

This is complete nonsense.

1. A catch is forced. Food and drink are stolen. The boat is otherwise left untouched.

2. All the windows are broken. Anything movable is thrown in the canal or stolen. The rest is trashed. (I actually saw this on the GU last year).

And these are the same thing?

You make it sound as if I have no sympathy for Titus, but of course I do, and would be very angry myself (as I have already said) and hope they would be caught and punished (but not by him, not least for his sake).

Try and read my post again and try even harder to understand it. A break in, is a break in. Distressing even if the culprit then leaves and does nothing else.

If they then mess up the boat a bit, break other things and then go on to steal from the boat owner this then compounds the distress.

I have no doubt that you have sympathy for the OP.

Martyn

Trouble with these threads is they all turn into trying not to be misunderstood. Generally everyone's expressing the same things or aspects of the same in different ways. You guys are brilliant at having your own ways of saying something and mis-reading the way someone else says the same thing. Thw written word eh? I often get tempted to wade in, then I think - no I'll just read and eat peanuts.

Chill brothers of the waterways (it's rarely the sisters is it!). :cheers:

Trouble with these threads is they all turn into trying not to be misunderstood. Generally everyone's expressing the same things or aspects of the same in different ways. You guys are brilliant at having your own ways of saying something and mis-reading the way someone else says the same thing. Thw written word eh? I often get tempted to wade in, then I think - no I'll just read and eat peanuts.

peanuts, - you really should be on popcorn after this long on the forum... :P

Likey that post :) If we were talking in a pub with the visual clues the misunderstandings wouldn't be so likely to happen, and I've found some of the more combative members are a bit more subdued in person. This medium is a sod sometimes, I still love this forum and have met many great friends through it. The secret is to filter out the tossers and listen the people who know what they're talking about :)

To the OP I feel for you. We had a burglary in our house a few years back and the sense of violation and outrage is horrible. I hope the culprits are caught.

ETA the bugger that broke into our house never was, and my engagement ring was lost forever :(

Edited by Ange

My sentiments entirely, I don't know why I bothered telling people about it.

Dave

Dave! Sorry to hear about your incident. Makes me wanna nip up and check Fiasco now. Hope Titus didnt suffer too much. Try and a have a happy new year. I'll keep an extra eye out next time Im passing that way. Give us a wave when our bows pass again!! cheers.gif

There are no degrees of severity concerning a break in. The break in is a break in. What happens afterwards is another issue.

So if someone breaks into your boat, sets it alight and burns it down to the waterline you would regard this as no more serious than if someone who breaks in, steals some food and booze and clears up after themselves?

Fair enough but I really don't subscribe to that logic.

Dave! Sorry to hear about your incident. Makes me wanna nip up and check Fiasco now. Hope Titus didnt suffer too much. Try and a have a happy new year. I'll keep an extra eye out next time Im passing that way. Give us a wave when our bows pass again!! cheers.gif

Hi Darren,

Hopefully it was a one off we don't normally have trouble our way do we ?

I've cleaned up most of the damage today and will finish it soon, it'll soon be

spring and we'll be out cruising and able to forget our little troubles.

See you soon

Dave

So if someone breaks into your boat, sets it alight and burns it down to the waterline you would regard this as no more serious than if someone who breaks in, steals some food and booze and clears up after themselves?

Fair enough but I really don't subscribe to that logic.

I think you have missed my point. Someone breaks in. That in itself is an issue.

Whatever they do after the initial break in then becomes an issue of varying degrees. If they steal food and booze and then wash up that is, not, in any stretch of the imagination as serious as setting light to the boat/building and destroying it.

When our boat has been broken into the only damage has been that caused by the break in. Everything other than that is additional to the break in. A break in is a break in. Items have been stolen, but that is another issue.

I remember your boat, sadly, being burnt and the fate of the remains and am sad for your loss, and anybody else who has suffered in a similar way.

Thank fully our boat have not been vandalised apart from the damage caused by attempted or successful break ins by person or persons unknown. But probably Mr Finch.

Martyn

Edited by Nightwatch

I think you have missed my point. Someone breaks in. That in itself is an issue.

You miss my point too.

I have no idea whether the people who destroyed my boat took care when they broke in. The locks were mixed in with the rest of the molten metal and glass in the bilges.

I do know, however, that the person who broke into my boat a few years earlier, in Hillmorton, took care to prise the lock from the door, without damaging the clasp and with minimal damage to the woodwork, when a quick blow with a lump hammer (handily positioned on my back deck) would have gained him access in seconds, through the door or window.

I don't think he stole anything because I'm not the tidiest person in the world so he probably thought I'd already been burgled by someone else.

There are degrees of breaking in and I consider, on that occasion, that I was lucky I'd been "done" by someone who just wanted to steal, without causing damage.

Any break in to a boat, home or business is unacceptable, for what ever reason.

There are no degrees of severity concerning a break in. The break in is a break in. What happens afterwards is another issue.

Whether 'done' by Finch or any other scrote with a weird mind makes no difference.

Martyn

I'm with you on this, couldn't agree more.

This is complete nonsense.

1. A catch is forced. Food and drink are stolen. The boat is otherwise left untouched.

2. All the windows are broken. Anything movable is thrown in the canal or stolen. The rest is trashed. (I actually saw this on the GU last year).

And these are the same thing?

You make it sound as if I have no sympathy for Titus, but of course I do, and would be very angry myself (as I have already said) and hope they would be caught and punished (but not by him, not least for his sake).

Yes, the same thing. They are both burglaries, both an invasion of someone's personal space, both deserving of prosecution and punishment. No-one, but no-one needs resort to theft to obtain food.

Yes, the same thing. They are both burglaries, both an invasion of someone's personal space, both deserving of prosecution and punishment. No-one, but no-one needs resort to theft to obtain food.

I was more concerned about the effect upon the victim, which I think is more important. In that case the two examples are vastly different.