THIEVING LITTLE GETS

Titus

Featured Posts

Isn't it frustrating, when you spend lots of money and time and effort to get your own

boat and make it nice to your own specifications with your own personal things and

then someone comes and spoils it

I went up to our boat this lunchtime, it's only moored 5 minutes away and we can actually see it

(with a telescope) from our bedroom window. It's moored in a nice little North Yorkshire Village

on a private mooring on the Leeds and Liverpool.

I climbed onboard and saw a cupboard door open ! I knew I'd not left it open and then immediately

saw the rest of the boat. A porthole had been smashed and somehow someone had got in, probably kids

(who else could get through a 15 inch porthole, there was glass everywhere, the bed

(next to the smashed porthole) was covered in mud and every cupboard in the boat had been searched.

On checking everything it looks like they've only taken a brass telescope and some alcohol

but what a mess.

I then went and checked the next boat to me and found that a large window on that had been

smashed, more glass in his boat than mine obviously and again the cupboards had been ransacked,

a right mess, also they'd stolen his TV and some other stuff

So this is a warning to anyone around the Skipton area to keep a eye on their boat if possible

and if ever I get my hands on the little scroats I'll kill them.

A very annoyed Dave

They are most likely deprived and abandoned by society. It is better that they did it, than some thieving proffesional who.. ummm... no, that's it, it's a security check. You obviously had portholes that are to big. Get them welded up. And next time leave the alcohol on the roof..

(Remember, it is sooo easy for an intruder to 'trip' and fall in when disturbed...)

Dont fret its just a security check according to another current thread on here...

Ian.

Don't be ridiculous. There are degrees of wrongdoing. The other thread was discussing someone who broke in with minimal damage, took only food and drink, and even did the washing up. This is (I would say) a couple of degrees up the scale and warrants a lot less understanding and more anger.

I actually left my boat at Kildwick for a week this summer - just shows that you can't be confident about anywhere.

• Greenie 4

Don't be ridiculous. There are degrees of wrongdoing. The other thread was discussing someone who broke in with minimal damage, took only food and drink, and even did the washing up. This is (I would say) a couple of degrees up the scale and warrants a lot less understanding and more anger.

I actually left my boat at Kildwick for a week this summer - just shows that you can't be confident about anywhere.

I pretended to leave my boat at Kildwick for a week this summer and had no problems,

Coat.

Regards

Ditchdabbler

Oh degrees of wrongdoing lol...i read the op as saying mud on bed,booze and a telescope taken..not so bad then...

Oh degrees of wrongdoing lol...i read the op as saying mud on bed,booze and a telescope taken..not so bad then...

If you'd read my post, you'd have seen that I regard this incident as quite a bit more serious than Mr Finch's activities. I certainly didn't say it was 'not so bad, then'. Only you have just said that.

Edited to say that if I found my boat had been 'Finched' as per described many times here, I would be rather annoyed. If what happened at Kildwick was to my boat I would be very angry and hope thay would be caught and punished, but wouldn't actually kill them as the OP (rather understandably) wanted. That's what I mean by 'degrees of wrongdoing'

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

I read the op as broken into,easiest way,least damage to repair,booze and a telescope stolen.Not so bad then?

Bad enough though surely. Having to get a new window fitted having to clear up bits of glass, then there's the items which may have had sentimental value. Knowing someone has violated your space.

I'm still hacked off over my van window being smashed and items stolen from the vehicle, I still find little square bits of broken glass now and again.

Any break in to a boat, home or business is unacceptable, for what ever reason.

There are no degrees of severity concerning a break in. The break in is a break in. What happens afterwards is another issue.

Whether 'done' by Finch or any other scrote with a weird mind makes no difference.

Martyn

Any break in to a boat, home or business is unacceptable, for what ever reason.

There are no degrees of severity concerning a break in. The break in is a break in. What happens afterwards is another issue.

Whether 'done' by Finch or any other scrote with a weird mind makes no difference.

Martyn

My boat IS my home, and I look after it as such.

I can guarantee that if I came back to find someone inside who shouldn't be there, I would not be very happy and like Titus I would be likely to take action. If it were snuggly cuddly mr Finch, I doubt I would be showing him where the cake was.

Sorry to hear about your troubles Titus. Seems to be getting more common. A few weeks back we had about 50-60 quids worth of diesel took from our tank. More info on our blog...

Its not as bad as having windows smashed though and someone actually in your boat. We are in a pretty quiet area here and it's places like this where you just wouldn't expect this thing to happen, but at the same time, scroats looking to steal know people are off guard in rural places. No one on the look out and people's guards are generally down.

Please report it to the police. I know some other people around by me who have had things happen and not reported it, saying things like " what will the police do" but there's nothing they can do unless they know of a problem in an area.

We reported our "crime" and they've been really supportive - I don't expect to get my diesel back but they have sent more police presence up here at night despite it being a really quiet, rural era and they've made calls to me to see if I've noticed anything more out of the ordinary etc etc

Sorry to hear about your troubles Titus. Seems to be getting more common. A few weeks back we had about 50-60 quids worth of diesel took from our tank. More info on our blog...

Its not as bad as having windows smashed though and someone actually in your boat. We are in a pretty quiet area here and it's places like this where you just wouldn't expect this thing to happen, but at the same time, scroats looking to steal know people are off guard in rural places. No one on the look out and people's guards are generally down.

Please report it to the police. I know some other people around by me who have had things happen and not reported it, saying things like " what will the police do" but there's nothing they can do unless they know of a problem in an area.

We reported our "crime" and they've been really supportive - I don't expect to get my diesel back but they have sent more police presence up here at night despite it being a really quiet, rural era and they've made calls to me to see if I've noticed anything more out of the ordinary etc etc

Thanks for your support, we have reported it to the local police, I don't expect them to find out who did it although they are checking for fingerprints tomorrow so we'll see if they come up with anything.

Dave

Sorry Titus to hear about your boat being broken into :angry: . Hope the buggars left their fingerprints or DNA from a cut and get caught :cheers:

Try to replace the new glass in laminated glass rather than toughened. Thats if the frame can accept 6.4mm thickness rather than 4mm. Or install safety film over the glass before installing the new toughened porthole.

Somrthing like 3M window film.

My link

Fingers crossed for fingerprints

James :cheers:

Edited by canals are us?

There are no degrees of severity concerning a break in.

Martyn

This is complete nonsense.

1. A catch is forced. Food and drink are stolen. The boat is otherwise left untouched.

2. All the windows are broken. Anything movable is thrown in the canal or stolen. The rest is trashed. (I actually saw this on the GU last year).

And these are the same thing?

You make it sound as if I have no sympathy for Titus, but of course I do, and would be very angry myself (as I have already said) and hope they would be caught and punished (but not by him, not least for his sake).