Potential Drama Unfolding

Up-Side-Down

Featured Posts

I can.

After the Easter floods of 1997 I had quite a few illuminated signs put on longer poles after the originals were water damaged.

Ordinary signs can be immersed with no damage at all whereas the illuminated ones have quite a bit of electrickery that doesn't respond so well to a dunking.

Thanks Carlt - that makes me feel better

I can.

After the Easter floods of 1997 I had quite a few illuminated signs put on longer poles after the originals were water damaged.

Ordinary signs can be immersed with no damage at all whereas the illuminated ones have quite a bit of electrickery that doesn't respond so well to a dunking.

:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

Thanks Carlt - that makes me feel better

I still think it would be logical to have the sign raised but this is confirming the green direction sign is in fact just out of shot of the web cam, you can see it's shadow along with the one of the Ouse monster adjacent stone pillar bottom left.

(Earlier image)

Ouse4.jpg

I still think it would be logical to have the sign raised but this is confirming the green direction sign is in fact just out of shot of the web cam, you can see it's shadow along with the one of the Ouse monster adjacent stone pillar bottom left.

(Earlier image)

Ouse4.jpg

This also serves as a reminder of just what is now under the two boats. Anyone want to discourse about the point load on a fibreglass hull?

(Earlier image)

Ouse4.jpg

I can confirm 100% the sign has not been raised since the last flood.

:detective:

This also serves as a reminder of just what is now under the two boats. Anyone want to discourse about the point load on a fibreglass hull?

I was going to say they haven't moved much - but looking more carefully they definitely have. The NB's bow is much further over to the right and the bow line that was previously clearly visible is no longer in view.

It does point to at least the NB floating well over the staithe now.

I was going to say they haven't moved much - but looking more carefully they definitely have. The NB's bow is much further over to the right and the bow line that was previously clearly visible is no longer in view.

See post 202..

I seem to remember someone praising the usefulness of a bow thruster with a remote control...

N

PS Need a really good battery bank for it, though.

NB Alice has just been on news 24 its just downstream from the kings arms, has a red cratch cover and has two bow ropes one is taut and the other slack, both at about 45deg to the water.

I suspect this is the boat in the webcam from the TV footage it looks securely moored would guess that it will crush the waterside poles so it may well survive even if it does need a crane to get it back into the water

york279.jpg

This was how high it reached on the morning of 27 september this year. It took 5 days for the railing tops to become visible again.

upside down, the 2nd highest level was on the date above, the EA havn't updated their site for ages. I recall it was around 5.1 metres

I will quote myself from earlier, the sign hasn't been stretched, added to , neither has the san andreas fault appeared at the base and moved it up a bit.

The water is still rising but has not reached as high as it was on the date above which was 5.07m - the second highest ever level recorded.

The highest recorded was in 2000 and was around 5.5m.

The EA stated 3 days ago that the river would only go up to 4.3m, it now says it will only go up to 4.8M, by the look of that sign, it must be pretty close to that now.

Edited by matty40s

NB Alice has just been on news 24 its just downstream from the kings arms, has a red cratch cover and has two bow ropes one is taut and the other slack, both at about 45deg to the water.

I suspect this is the boat in the webcam from the TV footage it looks securely moored would guess that it will crush the waterside poles so it may well survive even if it does need a crane to get it back into the water

NB Alice is often moored around York. I suspect the owner knows exactly how to deal with this situation (although I must admit that I don't). In fact I think I've seen said NB moored in the same spot during previous floods and it survived ok. The owner probably said to the grp "Brest up with me and you'll be ok".

• Greenie 1

If the boat owner has been clever and set his rudder at an angle to the river flow the back of the boat will stay clear of the staithe.

How does that work? Depending on the way the rudder is set, it will just push the bow or the stern over the staithe. Won't it?

Edited by Dave_P

NB Alice is often moored around York. I suspect the owner knows exactly how to deal with this situation (although I must admit that I don't). In fact I think I've seen said NB moored in the same spot during previous floods and it survived ok. The owner probably said to the grp "Brest up with me and you'll be ok".

I suspect you're right, or that the owner of the cruiser was nowhere to be found when things got hairy and the owner of Alice decided to haul it alongside to be safe ratehr than sunken.

It looks from that clip as if the bows of the NB have swung towards the bank but their bow rope is still at an angle which suggests that it is the stern which has swung out and not the bows which have swung in. Good to see that the bow rope is still at a downward angle and holding.

Everything crossed for a safe recovery of the boats when the water eventually goes down.

haggis