I just need the name, please...

Kantara

Featured Posts

...of the metal strips along the towing path bank, used for mooring boats on. We refer to them as Armco, after the similar-ish structures down the central reservation of motorways, but that's a trademark, and I'm pretty certain that the company does not make the canal ones. So what are they called? Oh, and what are the "hooks" called that we use for mooring to them?

Edited by Kantara

I've always known them, rightly or wrongly, as 'pilings'

The whole thing can be referred tro as pilings, but the vertical corrugated sheets which actually form the bank are sheet piles and the horizontal member along the top which holds them in line, and is tied back at intervals to anchor piles, is the waling or waling beam. The word has the same root as in gunwale.

I'm with Biz. On the Thames we call it campshedding.

Whenever I use this term on the cut though I get blank looks. Piling seems to be what canalpeeps call it.

I think pilings are pilings and the campshedding is the horizontal stuff fixed to it. Or Campshedding might be the general term for the whole structure that protects or retains river banks.

the barrier is called piling and the hooks are called ....piling hooks ,AKA nappy pins

I have always called the hooks "paper clips" have I got it wrong? should I be calling them "Nappy Pins"?!

Nick

I have always called the hooks "paper clips" have I got it wrong? should I be calling them "Nappy Pins"?!

Nick

Either way they are just about as much use as their namesakes. You can't beat a length of chain passed behind the waling but make sure it is just behind a through bolt otherwise a good tug can pull it into the waling/piling gap where it can jam badly.

George ex nb Alton retired

Nick

I am not a fan of the nappy pin type they are too easy to drop into the canal when removing them after the line has been taken out. I have got a box full of them, pulled out of the canal with my sea searcher

I prefer this type:- I don't know if they have a name

armco%252520hook%25255B2%25255D.jpg

Edited by David Schweizer

I am not a fan of the nappy pin type they are too easy to drop into the canal when removing them after the line has been taken out. I have got a box full of them, pulled out of the canal with my sea searcher

I loosen the line leaving the nappy pin still threaded when leaving a mooring and thread it before I secure the boat, never lost one yet.

Either way they are just about as much use as their namesakes. You can't beat a length of chain passed behind the waling but make sure it is just behind a through bolt otherwise a good tug can pull it into the waling/piling gap where it can jam badly.

George ex nb Alton retired

Where at all possible we too use chains. Those "Nappy Pins" are bloomin useless, except when single handed when I have used one to temporarily fasten off the centre line to enable me to chain bow and stern. (Waling available)

One of the annoying features about boats attached with nappy pins is that the pins almost invariably clank against the piling as you pass, causing the owner to rush out and yell at you to slow down.

ETA We use a short length of chain with a small carabina hook at the end. Passing it behind the rail and back around the rope before clipping it into place, allows you to secure the end of the line back on the boat very quickly.

Edited by Keeping Up

We have one of these with a length of rope spliced to it and a loop spliced at t'other end.

Put loop over T stud and hook end in piling, more difficult to lose it in the cut and you don't have to mess about with looping the mooring rope through it.

We use a chain and mooring rope at rear end to "tension" the boat.

Edited by Ray T

Me too

Richard

Whenever I use this term on the cut though I get blank looks. Piling seems to be what canalpeeps call it.

Slightly unrelated, but where did you get those rhond anchors that you moored Aldeberan up with? I want to try some, look much more useful than mooring pins. Never seen any in a chandlers.

Edited by oarfish

Slightly unrelated, but where did you get those rhond anchors that you moored Aldeberan up with? I want to try some, look much more useful than mooring pins. Never seen any in a chandlers.

Norfolk marine, they have an online shop.

I've always known them, rightly or wrongly, as 'pilings'

Yes, thanks, I'd heard that term used, but I always thought pilings were just the vertical beams which are driven into the mud.

the barrier is called piling and the hooks are called ....piling hooks ,AKA nappy pins

Thanks, yes, I've heard that word used for it, but I've always thought that pilings are the upright beams driven into the mud.

Campshedding.

Now I've never heard that one! Any idea where it comes from? What's it got to do with camps and sheds?

:rolleyes:

The whole thing can be referred tro as pilings, but the vertical corrugated sheets which actually form the bank are sheet piles and the horizontal member along the top which holds them in line, and is tied back at intervals to anchor piles, is the waling or waling beam. The word has the same root as in gunwale.

Ah! Now that makes sense. I like "waling"! I'm going to test these suggestions in conversation with other boaters, and see if anyone understands me!

I'd not heard "campshedding" before this thread, I'll try it out in conversation, and see if anyone knows what the heck I mean! "Piling" does seem to be favourite, though.

How about "bent nappy pins"?

Oarfish, we make rond anchors (amongst other things), so if you need some, pm me.....we're not too far from Manchester. STUBAG.

I'm glad someone asked that. I saw mike's boat moored up and thought the pegs had come out but when I looked, thinking I'll whack em back in for him, I realised the boat was secure. Not seen them before, are they a bent pin or a pin with link/hinge in? At first glance they looked like pins lying flat. Mike had obviously secured fast and I weren't gonna meddle to find out. Meant to PM him and ask. So they're called Rhond anchors. I guess they are more secure? Are they expensive and are they worth getting hold of?

Edited by Goliath