It or her

dominicebs

Featured Posts

Narrow boats, traditionally, are "it". Boatmen were less superstitious than their seagoing colleagues.

In the same way, narrow boats have a fore end, not a bow, cabin top rather than coach roof or sole, etch.

They may have been less superstitious but they were certainly not unsupersticious, I am sure there are people descended from working boat families on tyhe foprum who could confirm this, but I am certainly aware of quite few supersticions which the land based dweller would find most odd.

Our captain, who was an ex working boatman, always referred to front end and back end. He also referred to inside and outside rather than port and starboard, which, until you understood it, was a bit confusing because inside referred to the side closest to the towpath.

Edited by David Schweizer

My boat is a boy, so 'he.'

This confused people often.

MB and I have a theory that metal boats are male, wooden boats are female and tenders can be either (cos else how would boats reproduce!?)

and fibre glass is just plain wrong

........ Coat!!!!

;)

My boat is a boy, so 'he.'

This confused people often.

MB and I have a theory that metal boats are male, wooden boats are female and tenders can be either (cos else how would boats reproduce!?)

What about a steel hulled boat with a wooden roof?

Probably a good job Rowan is a unisex name :D

I have only ever heard boats referred to as she.

:cheers: